Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Can I touch the cakes and move them in my SGFC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

Hi everyone, 

This is the first time I am growing and I have a little complicated situation and am confused.  

I inoculated 6 of my BRF jars and two weeks later I inoculated another 6 BRF jars.  So I will have my first 6 jars fully colonized 2 weeks before the other 6 jars.  

When I place my first set of 6 cakes in the SGFC, I want to place them close together in the middle of the SGFC.  But when the other 6 jars get fully colonized, I want to move the current 6 cakes to one side and put the new 6 cakes on the other side.  

Is it ok for me to touch the cakes and move them after they already began to harvest and grow?  Or will that hamper and ruin the growing process?  Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly helpful.  Thanks in advance!

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,641 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:04 PM

Hello Jenny212, welcome to the 'topia !

IMO, the less you handle cakes the better off you are, but yes, you should be able to carefully move them without much issue.  I'm sure others will chime in and offer some more advice.

Good luck, and good grow vibes to you :)

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2021 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia Jenny, fully colonized and consolidated BRF cakes are pretty hardy IME.....moving them gently (with very well cleaned hands or preferably fresh gloved hands) should not be a problem at all. Normally when I'm getting into one of my cultures or a fruiting chamber, after a good spray and wash down of my hands and arms with 70% isopropyl alcohol (NO FLAMES OR IGNITION SOURCES) I'll also put on a mask too......

SAFETY NOTE: NEVER FORGET that a spray mist of rubbing alcohol is a potential flame thrower.....NO OPEN FLAMES OR IGNITION SOURCES.....

Be as gentle as possible, rough housing will cause your cake to bruise, handling is also a known (and generally obvious) contamination vector. Don't be paranoid but don't be careless either....

Setting cakes on lids or in small shallow trays, very clean of course, in the fruiting chamber makes moving things around inside without actually contacting the fungi mush easier..... :biggrin: which is just one way of doing it....

Hope that helps....

• Juthro, Salty117 and jenny212 like this

#4 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 03:59 PM

Thanks so much @Juthro and @Arathu for all your help and advice!!!  This is really helpful for a newbie like me :)

I like your advice Arathu about setting the cakes on small shallow trays or lids.  Can you maybe recommend a specific tray or lid that is really good to use?  Thanks again in advance for the help!

• Arathu and Juthro like this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:57 PM

I like the plastic wide mouth jar lids for cakes and shallow plastic trays for something bigger.....easily cleaned and reused too...

Pretty much anything that's clean or easily cleaned.....my personal choice is definitely plastic not metal.....

A

• Juthro, MushLuvR and jenny212 like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,641 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:00 PM

Sour cream, and cottage cheese container lids work well for cakes, but you can be creative with what ever you have on hand.

• Myc, Arathu, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#7 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Arathu and Juthro for all the helpful advice!!!!  

• Arathu and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!