• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kilo.p

kilo.p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:04 PM

First off thanks to all who have shared info on this site. Itd be rough figuring it out through trial and error. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.  

One thing ive been trying to figure out is during incubation, do you want any air exchange through your filter ports on the jar lids. Or is the primary function of whichever filter material(tyvek,poly,micropore) to allow pressure to escape during sterilization. I know ive seen teks somewhere that show inoculation holes being covered with masking tape which seems like itd stop air exchange. Also, I thought ive read where mycelium thrive in co2 rich environments and only require fresh air when fruiting begins. 

That being said i know stale air supports the growth of unwanted organisms. Also, Ive noticed after a G2G  mycelium looks incredibly healthy and colonizes the surrounding nutrient source very rapidly in the following days.It appears much healthier and  I can only guess thats from the fresh air introduced by opening the jar. 

I might be mistaken and completely off with my recollection so apologies in advance if thats the case. Just trying to gain a solid understanding of the entire process. I dont like to "think" i know something.

#2 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

While the grain is in Incubation it will have enough air through the lids, I usually use Tyvek as a filter.

G2g goes quicker because it’s already got mycelium where spores are starting from the beginning .

You need to worry about stale air more when fruiting ,

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:22 AM

The tape over the inoculation holes and the aluminum foil cover which is placed over the top of the jar - are both intended to prevent the intrusion of extra moisture. The substrate you are sterilizing has a specific moisture content.

Incubation is a recipe for disaster in my experience. Allowing colonization at room temperature is less likely to promote competitors.

The Mushroom Cultivator - by Paul Stamets is a really good book to own. It goes to great lengths in helping the cultivator understand all of the reasoning behind the various techniques.

• Baphom3t and bezevo like this

#4 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:56 PM

Colonization and fruiting at °F = 70 - 72 or °C = 21 - 22
That's all the temp you need for colonization and fruiting.
You have less likely chance of contaminants in lower temps than higher temps.
Contaminants are more likely to show up at higher temps.
My grows never go over 75°F

• Myc and bezevo like this

#5 kilo.p

kilo.p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!