30 replies to this topic

#21 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:29 PM

SOME  Mushrooms don't like  fruit wood ...if your using smoker pellets...

Many Big box or farm stores have big bags of Hard wood Heating Pellets much cheaper  than smoking wood pellets .

you got to check label to make sure the heating pellets are hardwood .

BEZ !

Edited by bezevo, 14 February 2022 - 03:33 PM.

• Mycol and MushLuvR like this

#22 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Bez any idea on bag types I could use ?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#23 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:11 AM

Mycol i have not really used bags that much but i know a few of the regular posters on this thread are using bags for Gormet and Medicinal mushrooms i  hope they chime  in and answer your Questions about using BAGs

Bez

• MushLuvR likes this

#24 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 947 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:46 AM

I use 3T .2 Micron Unicorn bags, they can be used for grain spawn or Blocks.  I buy in bulk so the bags are roughly 50 cents a piece.  

MushL

• Arathu, bezevo and Mycol like this

#25 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2022 - 07:25 PM

Funny I got led here too.....man I've used filter patch bags from several of the various sources and had success with all of them.......

The smaller filter for grains and even other spawns and the larger for many different types of substrates.....time frames of just over a week to just over a year.....

Tricky part can be sterilization without flooding or melting the bags....heavy substrates (logs, large wood chunks and etc) need to be lifted from the bottom as bags WILL tear on you....

Well worth fiddling with IMHO and IME....

A

Edited by Arathu, 25 February 2022 - 08:56 PM.

• Mycol, rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#26 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:42 PM

Thanks Bez, ML and Arathu . I got a casement of those bags that ML recommended .

I did up 3 bags with a HWFP, wheat bran and gypsum to field capacity . Let sit overnight . PC for 2 hours elevated the bags on top of 3 half pint jars and covered with a dinner plate .

I had also put the substrate bags into tyvek bags from the post office before I PCd them, is that step necessary ? Would a cotton pillow case work ? Or just omit it entirely ?

I added spawn to those bags with stropharia rugosoannulata (garden giant) on oats . I did this in my “flow hood” bag . Was that an uneccessary step too? Could you add spawn to sub in the open air ?

Another question do I leave them to colonize the bags in the same conditions that I incubated the spawn in ? I’ve got that room at 75. And have them in a box to diminish light but still has air flow .

Thanks in advance guys .
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#27 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 08:11 PM

So far they are getting fuzzy .
  • MushLuvR likes this

#28 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,562 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2022 - 10:25 PM

Sounds like you guys will be knee deep in mush before you know it!

The tyvek bag or pillow case during PC seems unnecessary. For me, I just wrap the top of the bag around the sub part of the bag and tape it in place.

I always use my flow hood to spawn to bulk, especially if there is nutrition like wheat bran. If your place is clean enough, maybe you can get away with it but if you have the right tool, use it! :) I have done stuff outdoors in the open air like adding unpasteurized soil or wood chips to colonized subs.

I leave my bags in the same place as agar and grain jars, in a file box.

Good luck!
  • Mycol and MushLuvR like this

#29 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 08:11 AM

They are tearing through the sub !
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#30 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:53 PM

Mycol one thing to be aware of is heat. Once you move to the stage of large substrates, like mine will usually be five pounds and many times much more than that ..... in the bags incubating give them space and watch for over temperature

If I'm doing a decent number of bags in a run I make sure I have good filtered FAE.......

And since I have a large variable speed flow hood I always do my work in the stream....sometimes I sit there and just meditate in the super clean air....it's great for my sinuses.....

Good vibes!

A

• YoshiTrainer, Mycol, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#31 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 10:08 AM

I feel you on the sinuses. I need to make a flowhood . My positive pressure hepa bag has been old faithful for a few years Now. Need to upgrade soon .

My temps have been in the seventies in there or lower . I’ve had a few bags colonized and haven’t lost one from mild or bacteria yet.., knock on HWFP. Looking forward to spreading these around the garden And in friends gardens .
  • Oldpunk and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!