• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:12 PM

Hi everyone, newbie here.  I've been reading many different forum posts and am confused about using a hygrometer in my shotgun fruiting chamber?

It seems that most people say that hygrometers are useless in the fruiting chamber, but then I found a post that highly recommends this hygrometer - 

Extech - 445703 Digit Thermometer

https://www.amazon.c...1&tag=mimein-20

Will this hygrometer work in the fruiting chamber or should I forget about buying one? I'm concerned about getting the right humidity for my cakes to grow.  

Thanks in advance for the help!

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,641 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:20 PM

IMHO, a hydrometer like that is fairly useless for growing mushrooms.  I bought one back when I first started growing, and got rid of it before I was finished with my first grow.  They don't work very accurately at the extreme end of the scale where you want to keep your fruiting chamber at.  Also, you will learn very quickly that you can read the RH% pretty easily by watching for condensation on the walls, and lid of your FC.  You want to see that condensation.

As a side note, a lot of growers have had trouble keeping the RH% as high as they would like it in a shotgun FC.  If this becomes a problem for you, you can adjust it by closing up some, or most of the vent holes in the FC.   RH% is a bit of a touchy, feely thing, as everyone lives in a different environment.  You will find what works best for you, and where you're at soon enough, I have faith.

good grow vibes :)

:meditate:

• Myc, Arathu, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

you will learn very quickly that you can read the RH% pretty easily by watching for condensation on the walls, and lid of your FC. You want to see that condensation.

+^^^^ as a mushroom grower....get used to it for most of the species we like to grow.....mushrooms are like 90% water....

I should just shut up and say I concur..... :biggrin:

What Juthro said.....

And NO you don't need to waste money on a hygrometer IMHO...

A

Edited by Arathu, 05 October 2021 - 05:45 PM.

• Juthro and jenny212 like this

#4 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:52 AM

Thanks again for all the help Arathu and Juthro :)  I really appreciate everything!  This totally makes sense to me about monitoring condensation on the walls.  If its ok, let me ask you a followup question - 

I inoculated my first 6 cakes two weeks ago and am inoculating another 6 cakes this weekend.  After the first 6 cakes get fully colonized and I put it in my shotgun fruiting chamber, I read on the forum that the ideal space between the cakes should be 2 inches apart from each other.  But if I do this and put them in the center, there will be a lot of space on either side of my shotgun fruiting chamber because my fruiting chamber is very large.  Do you think this is going to be an issue because of the open space in the fruiting chamber?  Or any advice or suggestion on what I can do about this?  

• Arathu, Juthro, bezevo and 1 other like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 372 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:47 AM

The wet perlite will be your humidity source and keep the cakes well misted until nice pins arrive and let them rock out.  Your biggest concern will be too much air and killing your humidity, tape up some holes if it's evaporating too quickly.  When you get to that stage of fruiting, mist the cake and see how long it takes to start to go away.  If it's too fast you know you have too much Air.  You can also test your SGFC by misting a tub or something laying around and see how long it takes to evap off.  I'm usually on the dryer side of humidity so it happens quickly.  All the Best... in your endeavors to Success.  

• Juthro and jenny212 like this

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:12 PM

plus one on the 'don't waste your money on a hygrometer' camp.

If you want to spend some cheap money get a barometer / hygrometer as a decorative appliance. I actually have one and use it to decide (based upon the rH and barometric pressure inside the dwelling) what types of steps are necessary.

For example, If I'm drying fungi I'll want the house rH to be in the 30% range (or less). Or, I'll expect to allow more time for drying.  One can arrange grows around seasonal opportunities and trade-offs thereby securing an annual personal supply without all the effort.

Edited by Myc, 07 October 2021 - 09:51 AM.
edited to say baromater rather than hydrometer

• Arathu, Juthro, bezevo and 2 others like this

#7 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:23 PM

This makes so much sense now.. I won't be buying a hygrometer anytime soon :)   Thanks for all your help @MushLuvR and @Myc

• Arathu, Juthro and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!