Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

I'm a first time grower and it would be great to get some advice on this - 

I saw a video of someone using the following to grow shrooms - 

Zoo Med Reptifogger Terrarium Humidifier

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Terrarium-Humidifier/dp/B0019IJXD2

I ended up buying this to use in my SGFC, and plan on using it on a timer to run every 15 minutes every hour and half.  

I wanted to know how to check if I'm getting too much or too little humidity in my SGFC using this terrarium humidifier?  I can adjust the output and timer, but want to know how to determine what's optimal?  

Edited by danielfly, 06 October 2021 - 04:31 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,802 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2021 - 04:54 PM

I found that hand-misting is a better strategy.

You have to check the substrate at least three times a day until you get the humidifier dialed-in.

I found that the ultrasonic reptile fogger produced too much mist. My substrates failed during the 3rd flush due to being sodden with excess moisture.

Given that you must monitor the experiment so closely - I chose to stay with the spray bottle and omit the ultrasonic for small projects.

If you're doing a Martha closet style............that little ultrasonic gem is handy.

• Juthro, MushLuvR and danielfly like this

#3 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:15 PM

I get it.  It is probably better hand-misting but my schedule makes it difficult for me to be able to mist three times a day :(.  I guess I will go with the reptile fogger and try to adjust it to run very slow.  So how do I know if it is giving too much humidity or too less humidity when I'm running the ultrasonic fogger so I can adjust it if I have to?  

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,802 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:21 PM

I would start with a cycle of three times (10 minutes per period - give or take based upon your ambient rH) per 24 hour period. My personal approach was to run 5 minutes once every three hours on a 24/7 basis  but that proved to be too much. The rH in my home ranges from 50 - 70% if that is of any assistance.

You'll just have to experiment within your given parameters.

Edited by Myc, 07 October 2021 - 08:26 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#5 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,348 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:30 PM

If your talking the normal large size tote sgfc im sure if you run it more than every 4 hrs 10 min itll be too much assuming you have perlite in there but a word of advice if you have questions after you have read all the threads that you can find that perrain to your question after that in order for an other to give you some help it would go a long way to give a rundown of your set up other wise how are we to know if you dont.
Just sayin... its way easier to help give advise if we dont have to guess what your doing.
You may find that even with a busy schedule hand misting may be sufficient. Goodluck

Edited by invisibilitysyndrome, 16 October 2021 - 11:35 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!