6 replies to this topic

#1 Muontau

Muontau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:16 PM

Good evening good people,

Being a total noob to the world of mycology and this forum, I am probably doing what everyone has done at some point. Spending a spare hour or two here and there reading different threads on all the different aspects this forum has to bring trying to build a solid foundation of understanding of all the processes and techniques.

Being human we all like to make life easier and communicating the same group of words over and over lends itself to being abbreviated.

Most of the time with enough exposure to the subject these acronyms become self evident. You only need to look at a MEA recipe and ponder for a short while as to how the acronym may have come about.

Let me get to my point, I am stuck on a couple of acronyms that I just can't resolve from their context. I have had a cursory search of the forums but with no luck so here I am asking.

What is;

GE

hpoo

?

Looking forward to that nice a-hahhaaa feeling when the answer plops into place.

Keep smiling.

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:29 PM

This has always been a bit of a problem.  I would guess that GE is shorthand for gas exchange, but if in the future if you give us a bit more of the context that you encounter it in, then we can more accurately help you decipher what you're looking at.

You are also correct, we've all been left perplexed by jumbles of letters at sometime, or another, lol.   No worries about asking.

Welcome to the 'topia, BTW :)

Edited by Juthro, 12 October 2021 - 05:30 PM.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,112 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:49 PM

common abreviations and acronyms    

• bezevo likes this

#4 Muontau

Muontau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:27 PM

This has always been a bit of a problem.  I would guess that GE is shorthand for gas exchange, but if in the future if you give us a bit more of the context that you encounter it in, then we can more accurately help you decipher what you're looking at.

You are also correct, we've all been left perplexed by jumbles of letters at sometime, or another, lol.   No worries about asking.

Welcome to the 'topia, BTW :)

I didn't think about remembering where I read them at the time, the idea of asking only occurred to me later while I was in the kitchen. I do remember I have been reading about agar today so gas exchange could well be correct but trying to find the post/page/thread again will take a while. 

Thanks for the welcome.

Spot on. Thank you for the horse-poo ahhaa chuckle.

#5 Muontau

Muontau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:40 PM

Interestingly I have just come across this in the Newbie FAQ section.

https://mycotopia.ne...html?1007372688

Putting it here so I can find it easily and so others can have a look.

• bezevo likes this

#6 Muontau

Muontau

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:26 PM

SHIP = Self Healing Injection Port

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,209 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:05 PM

yes  i was frustrated at first

i would read a tek wright up with to many acronyms

i had no idea what they were talking about, tell i gradually learned the acronyms .

i still occasionally have to ask for definitions .

if i write up my version of a tek  i try to define the  Acronyms ..

i might say  " drill hole install SHIP/ self healing injection port and so on .. them glue filter patch for FAE/fresh air exchange and so on ,,

to make the instructions  clear to new folks,to define  what i'm talking about .

KIS/ keep it simple

BEZ

• Muontau likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!