• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:44 PM

Re: PF tek: Can BRF  be made at home, using a basic coffee grinder similar to this this (linked below) or with a high speed blender, instead of the packages at the health food store?

https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• HrVanker, Salty117 and MushLuvR like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

Yes.

I've seen a number of experiments where a coffee grinder was used for grinding rice.

The grind need not be as fine as flour to work either. You can get away with fairly coarse aggregate as opposed to smooth flour consistency.

• Juthro, newmoon, Salty117 and 2 others like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:49 PM

Like Myc said, the coffee grinder for the win, and IME you're better off to leave your grind slightly on the coarse side for PF style cakes.  It helps keep the mix from compacting in the jar, and it seems to allow the mycelium to travel through the jars faster.  YMMV

• Myc, Salty117, shiftingshadows and 1 other like this

#4 simplegood78

simplegood78

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:24 AM

I've used my Blendtec to create Brown Rice Flour.  The "Whole Juice" button runs a 90 second high speed cycle that will create flour.

I've run the cycle twice with good result.  Run one cycle.  Take a spatula and knock everything back down to the bottom of the blender.  Wait 5 minutes (I'm worried about overheating the blender and the flour).  Run a second cycle.  

https://www.blendtec...lendtec-blender

Edited by simplegood78, 14 October 2021 - 12:28 AM.

• Salty117 likes this

#5 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, I have a basic coffee grinder from the thrift store  & an older vitamix, I will see what they can do. Vitamix should do a larger quantity & the advice to do cycles, with spatula use in between sounds good.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!