• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:12 PM

To the question of “where does cubensis originate, geographically” the internet gives me the vague answer; “maybe Asia”.
Any advances on this?
The reason I ask is that I’ve long been interested/tormented by the theory, originating entirely and without meaningful evidence (IMO) with R G Wasson, that the identity of the Soma of the Rg Veda is amanita muscaria, which, again imo, is nonsense. Especially as the internet tells me that cubensis occurs on the Indian subcontinent, indeed the internet tries to sell me spores it claims come from there. So I’m wondering, do we think cubensis could be autochthonous to the subcontinent? Or introduced from further east? It would be a much better candidate than amanita. Not that I particularly care, the dharma stands for itself without need of a plant stimulus, just some meandering thoughts. I’ve been on the moonshine and homegrown (Wednesday night is the new Thursday night, after all!)

Edited by swayambhu, 13 October 2021 - 04:15 PM.

• coorsmikey and MushLuvR like this

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 808 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:35 PM

==Etymology and history==
The name '' Psilocybe '' is derived from the [[Greek language|Greek]] roots ''psilos'' (ψιλος) and ''kubê'' (κυβη) and translates as "bald head".

''Cubensis'' means "coming from Cuba", Cuba being the type locality published by Earle.

*1904 First described as ''Stropharia cubensis'' by F.S. Earle in [[Cuba]]
*1907 Identified as ''Naematoloma caerulescens'' in Tonkin by N. Patouillard.
*1941 Identified as ''Stropharia cyanescens'' by W.A. Murrill in [[Florida]].

These synonyms were later assigned to the species ''Psilocybe cubensis''.

HTH.

• coorsmikey, Salty117 and MushLuvR like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:06 AM

My guess would be Africa (the Tassili cave paintings look like cubes to me, and those are ~9000+ years old). Or anywhere that ungulates could migrate to from Africa, perhaps (possibly way back in evolutionary history). Or I guess maybe the ungulates migrated into Africa and brought the fungi with them since I don't know where the species associated with cubes originated (this would be hundreds of thousands of years ago or more).

But before that, probably the Andromeda Galaxy.

• Cuboid and MushLuvR like this

#4 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:12 PM

There are other Psilocybes native to India, I believe? keralensis, wayanadensis and others, the internet says...

• Salty117 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!