Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

My first time growing, and with a grow bag, and what I think I did wrong, and what to do next...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:17 AM

Miracle-gro variant should be pure perlite. 

For stubborn things you can "bottomwater". Use a syringe or something that you can carefully control flow/amount of water. Water it till it pools a bit. Let it soak maybe 30min-1hr. Then pour excess water out. I prefer that to spraying so you don't disturb the pins. Just try and keep pins dryish.

• Micogi likes this

#22 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:38 AM

Sounds like a plan, thanks. Makes sense for pins as well.

This little guy's veil looks like it's starting to open but seems too soon if this is the case. Does this look normal?

IMG_20211105_123317741.jpg

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,783 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2021 - 12:17 PM

The pin looks good, and to help slow down dehydration of the substrate remove the light from being so close to it.

Radiant heat from the fixture and bulb itself will dry it out real fast, and all you need is indirect light anyway (enough to read by; they don't use light for energy like plants do so higher intensity light can actually work against you when growing fungi). Natural light from a nearby window is usually plenty.

• rockyfungus, MushLuvR and Micogi like this

#24 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 09:09 AM

Miracle-gro variant should be pure perlite. 

For stubborn things you can "bottomwater". Use a syringe or something that you can carefully control flow/amount of water. Water it till it pools a bit. Let it soak maybe 30min-1hr. Then pour excess water out. I prefer that to spraying so you don't disturb the pins. Just try and keep pins dryish.

So here's what I'm going to do, keep in mind little of what I do would be considered normal lol.

I have 4 holes in the bottom of the FC, about 1/4" or so. I have two additional tubs, one slightly larger that the FC sits flat on, and the other the same size that the FC doesn't touch the bottom. So how I'll "bottom water" is, put the FC in the larger tub, poor a TBD amount of water into FC and let said water sit for maybe 30 minutes or so as you suggested, then transfer FC to the other tub to let excess water drain. This will be easy enough to recycle the water as well.

The pin looks good, and to help slow down dehydration of the substrate remove the light from being so close to it.

Radiant heat from the fixture and bulb itself will dry it out real fast, and all you need is indirect light anyway (enough to read by; they don't use light for energy like plants do so higher intensity light can actually work against you when growing fungi). Natural light from a nearby window is usually plenty.

Thanks for that!

But the lights are LED, so I wouldn't think heat should be much of a factor with them, no? The LEDs I got are cheapos, they don't retain the brightness level when turned on/off, they go back to full, and I set them to lowest. Right now they're on the outside pointing down, I'd been thinking of moving them inside and pointing up while covering the lid with foil for some reflection back into the FC. This would illuminate the lid fairly well w/o any real direct light. I really hadn't thought about doing this while fruiting, but may go ahead and do it this weekend.

The FC has to stay in my room, and the only window in my room is above my bed and front facing on the house. I have the FC sitting on a shelves not far from the window, but the only natural light would be bottomed/side angled, and my understanding is mushrooms pretty much just need light for growth direction.

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,783 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:53 PM

If the ballast for the light is outside the bin it's probably fine.

And yes, they only really use light for triggering fruiting and knowing which way to point.

It just needs to have enough light on the blue end of the spectrum; I've used single-color blue LED strips (I just drape them across the tops of the bins) and when they're on the room seems way too dark but they pin and fruit like crazy. People used to fruit under fluorescent "reptile" lights (the purplish lights intended for reptile enclosures or aquariums) which seemed to work better than regular fluorescent bulbs because they produced a lot more blue light).

#26 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:17 AM

Bag 2 update, it's coming along nicely at 3 weeks from inoculation. Thinking I'll check it in another week and maybe then mix the bag.

I'm not sure yet if I'll try fruiting this one in the bag or a FC. Also depending on how the current FC content is doing...

#27 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:31 PM

Fruiting outside of the bag like that, or doing PF tek, will dry out the substrate pretty quickly. If you're doing that sort of grow, I highly recommend getting some perlite (Amazon sells huge bag for pretty cheap), an aquarium pump, and submersible aquarium heater.

Get an airstone or several for the pump, place the airstone/s and heater in the bottom of the FC (set heater to 75°F or so), fill w/ 4-6" of rinsed perlite, add water until its 1"-0.5" from the top of the perlite.

This setup is really good at keeping RH and FAE at a good level. And could be modified/automated if you were so inclined.
  • Micogi likes this

#28 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:24 AM

This intrigues me, can you point me to further info? I like the automation potential.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've been seeing tons of tid bits about growing mushrooms I've never come across over the years of periodic researching. Both in technique and scale.

Edit 2: Continuation from another thread. FC looking better this morning, already seeing signs of new pins, however, some are pointing down, or inverted. On others I'd noticed doing this previously I broke off a bit of the substrate they were growing on to correct their trajectory.

Edited by Micogi, 10 November 2021 - 09:52 AM.

#29 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:07 AM

Automating that sort of setup takes some electronics work. The basic idea would be using a few sensors (RH, O2, temp) to switch on the heater, air pump, fans, etc. Something like an arduino or raspberry pi could do the sensor readings and switch flipping. With a little more work, you could even have it turn on the heater separate from the air-pump.

I believe there is a section for FC automation, and I'm sure there's a plethora of Reddit posts. I also think I've seen a somewhat automated FC on Amazon.
  • Micogi likes this

#30 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:11 AM

Ah, cool. Thanks, I'll definitely have to look into this further.

Plus I've always wanted to play with an Arduino. I already have the board, bought one of those project starter kits awhile back that comes with a bunch of stuff but yet to do anything with it.

#31 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:31 AM

Lots of people use inkbird controllers. Maybe not the best product on the market but reasonable price and I've never had issues. 

https://inkbird.com/

https://inkbird.com/...dity-controller

Edited by rockyfungus, 11 November 2021 - 09:32 AM.

• HrVanker likes this

#32 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:54 PM

Last of the first flush, picked whatever remaining and just started a 24 hour soak.

Three of them had some hollowness, while one of the three was really hollow, upper right corner.

IMG_20211111_204619027.jpg

While the spoils weren't tremendous, wish I'd kept track, I'm very pleased with the fruits of my first attempt.

I'm thinking maybe a few folk on here seeing my first posts are surprised, I know I am.

Thanks all for the commentary, input, and advice!

Edited by Micogi, 11 November 2021 - 09:00 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#33 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:36 AM

Those fruits look good! Hollow fruits are common IME, but I'm not sure of it's genetics or what.

Looking at those wet caps, I'd say that you might be misting a little too much. It's not a huge deal, just remember that mushrooms usually show up after the rain, so evaporation/reasonable amount of drying is a trigger for pins.

But you're definitely on the right path.
  • rockyfungus likes this

#34 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:47 AM

Was going to say I'd cut back on water pop the lid if it's a shoebox of sorts. 

Possible if you let them go 2 more days they'd get bigger and meatier, but could be genetic and too wet. 

• MushLuvR and Micogi like this

#35 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:09 AM

Those fruits look good! Hollow fruits are common IME, but I'm not sure of it's genetics or what.

Looking at those wet caps, I'd say that you might be misting a little too much. It's not a huge deal, just remember that mushrooms usually show up after the rain, so evaporation/reasonable amount of drying is a trigger for pins.

But you're definitely on the right path.

Photo was taken right after rinsing. Normal or not I don't know, but I find a good bit of the substrate when picking so I've been rinsing as I brush, and in a few cases just cutting off some. I have a leftover bristle brush from an old electric shaver that works pretty good for this.

Was going to say I'd cut back on water pop the lid if it's a shoebox of sorts. 

Possible if you let them go 2 more days they'd get bigger and meatier, but could be genetic and too wet. 

They'd shown very little growth the previous days which brought me to the conclusion to soak and hope for a 2nd flush.
I'm going to say too wet, I'd soaked the substrate a couple times this week for an hour at a time. There was some of the stem in water for a few of them. 

Edited by Micogi, 12 November 2021 - 09:20 AM.

#36 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2021 - 11:07 AM

Don’t rinse ‘em. Dehydrator will help with stuck on sub. Use a toothbrush if you care.

I make a tea and filter most solids out.
  • HrVanker and Micogi like this

#37 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:06 PM

Sweet, thanks for the tip. I'll just give em a light brush to get any big or loose stuff clinging on then.

I hadn't seen rinsing mentioned, and I'm guessing the first few I ate fresh so that was why I rinsed and then just carried on with fruits I was drying as well.

I may try brewing a tea, do you use an infuser or just soak the dry fruits in hot water and filter?

Edited by Micogi, 12 November 2021 - 12:08 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#38 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:59 PM

To be vague what’s the difference? Just squeeze out the mush paste and maybe soak a 2nd time. I soak it in a mug and then pour the brew through a strainer and squeeze the mass in the strainer with my hands or spoon.

I’m usually gone in 15 and don’t get to the 2nd cup

Edited by rockyfungus, 12 November 2021 - 05:01 PM.

• Micogi likes this

#39 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

Ha, beats me, I've only brewed tea from a bag before lol

Don't you miss out on some of the magic straining it instead of "pulp" style? (OJ reference)

I wonder how steeping the dried fruits in hot water and then dehydrating that to arrive at a powder like form would work.

I've seen mention of a coffee grinder, but that just seems you'd have some loss, not much I reckon, but still some.

So I made some changes on the FC and draining the substrate now, hopefully I can pull another flush.

Undecided on once it's drained if I should turn the lights on tonight until tomorrow evening, or wait until morning to resume regular lighting schedule.

Edit: So after draining the FC, there's a little guy in there, must have grown while it was swamped as I didn't see him before. Hopefully that's a sign of a good 2nd flush!

Edited by Micogi, 12 November 2021 - 07:42 PM.

#40 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

All the magic goes in the water. The goodies are soluble enough in water that you really don't need to do anything else.

Some swear by ascorbic acid, lemon or lime juice. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!