Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

My first time growing, and with a grow bag, and what I think I did wrong, and what to do next...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 11:42 AM

Well, it may just be my impatience, but I don't think I'm getting a second flush as I see no new pins. Only been two days since the soak, thought/hoping I'd see some pinning by now.

Substrate is well moisturized, no signs of contamination that I can see, temp may be cool at 65, and have a 4" fan on low set on a timer to run 30 minutes every four hours.

I'd like to get the temp up closer to 70, but have seen 65 as the lower end in temp range for fruiting.

Thinking I may try this under the FC https://www.walmart....re&athbdg=L1200

Or maybe another terrarium heating pad.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and just need patience lol

Edited by Micogi, 14 November 2021 - 11:44 AM.

• HrVanker likes this

#42 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2021 - 11:50 AM

The lower temps will definitely delay fruiting a bit. A heating mat isn't a bad investment if you have cooler temperatures. And if you decide to use perlite in your FC later on, you could still use the mat to maintain temps.
  • Micogi likes this

#43 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, I don't expect the ambient temp to get much higher either. Got one of these coming tomorrow to try.

• HrVanker likes this

#44 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 04:54 PM

Well, I don't know what's going on so I'm going to toss it.

The mycelium had a darkish grey tint to it at one point and I thought it was mold, the next morning it was all white again so I continued on. There's a few baby fruits but have like a while glaze on them and haven't grown much at all in the past few days.

I returned the heating pad and LEDs I'd bought, I won't toss it yet just to see what it does.

As for the 2nd bag, this past Tuesday was a month after inoculation, colonizing had moved along what looked fairly heavy so I mixed the bag, and of course now it just looks like a bag of dirt! lol

No impatience on this one though, I'll wait until it's fully colonized to open, and fruit in the bag.

• HrVanker likes this

#45 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:10 PM

Figured before I toss I'd post a couple pics, see if there's maybe another option lol

IMG_20211118_180417605_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211118_180521932.jpg

#46 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

My opinion is less water and more air. Just based on how huge and stunted they look. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in. 

• HrVanker and Micogi like this

#47 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:39 PM

I was thinking that it looked a little dry. I feel like if he were over-misting the caps would look more translucent. Plus I don't see any condensation on the tub, but that's also not the best indicator of humidity.
  • Micogi likes this

#48 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:04 PM

My opinion is less water and more air. Just based on how huge and stunted they look. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in. 

After soaking it 24 hours last Friday I hadn't really watered other than a few spritzes here and there. I have a 4" PC fan on a smart plug timer set to run 30 minutes every four hours. I figured that would suffice instead of fanning the lid for air exchange. I had the fan on constantly but I think it was drying the substrate, well helping it dry.

I was thinking that it looked a little dry. I feel like if he were over-misting the caps would look more translucent. Plus I don't see any condensation on the tub, but that's also not the best indicator of humidity.

The substrate feels moist, although I don't know how it should feel for prime growing. This seems to makes sense though, the photo of the three, the one in the middle if you pinch the cap it feels hollow, and along with some of the last pickings had hollow stems. Maybe hollowness it  is due to not enough water to properly form solid bodies.

Being neither of you mentioned contamination, I might as well play with it. Probably have another month at least until bag two is ready to fruit.

At this point as well, with not much to loose, thinking I may break it all up again and form it better and put down some perlite. I have some 1.26 cup storage containers, could mold a couple of those.

Edited by Micogi, 18 November 2021 - 08:09 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#49 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 09:18 PM

Well, they have grown a little since the photo, so I picked the one in the foreground in the pic of three.

It didn't have the "coating" on it so much but still looked a little odd. weighed in at 7.7g

Aside from a hollow stem, looked fine internally as far as I could tell.

Had a peek at bag 2, after mixing and looking like a plain old bag of dirt, it's got obvious signs of colonizing. Maybe I won't have to wait another month...

Not sure yet for fruiting if I'll try in the bag, or cut it in half and put it in an FC with a layer of perlite.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!