#41 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:40 PM

I think this may be the thread mentioned

Mazatec Traditional Velada Ceremony - Spirituality & Mysticism - Mycotopia

Edited by Salty117, 26 October 2021 - 08:41 PM.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#42 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:03 AM

I think this may be the thread mentioned

Mazatec Traditional Velada Ceremony - Spirituality & Mysticism - Mycotopia

It's friggin great!

#43 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

20211027_180121.jpg 20211027_180054.jpg

#44 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

Yessss!!!! 10$ hepa filter that will blow 180° inside of my sab/homemade positive pressure flow hood20211027_182848.jpg

#45 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,134 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:36 PM

I wonder what you're going call your SAB once the the air isn't still anymore? A Turbulent Vector Box? If you got the funds to invest in UV lights and half ass filters, you might actually consider making the investment in an actual Flow Hood. Brother, this guy is a short distance from you, check him out. Until you understand the what and how your shit is contaminating all the pennies your are trying save by making makeshift stuff is a waist. Might as well be waisting stuff by doing open air transfer and learning to master that while tossing failed projects. Anyway you're new and will want to reinvent the wheel with a white lab coat on. I can't help or criticize that as most of have been there. Check out this guy, look him up, he's somewhat local and will turn you on to some cool resources. https://www.etsy.com...PhenomenalFungi

• Juthro, rockyfungus and xXHeathenXx like this

#46 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:00 AM

I wonder what you're going call your SAB once the the air isn't still anymore? A Turbulent Vector Box? If you got the funds to invest in UV lights and half ass filters, you might actually consider making the investment in an actual Flow Hood. Brother, this guy is a short distance from you, check him out. Until you understand the what and how your shit is contaminating all the pennies your are trying save by making makeshift stuff is a waist. Might as well be waisting stuff by doing open air transfer and learning to master that while tossing failed projects. Anyway you're new and will want to reinvent the wheel with a white lab coat on. I can't help or criticize that as most of have been there. Check out this guy, look him up, he's somewhat local and will turn you on to some cool resources. https://www.etsy.com...PhenomenalFungi

I don't have contamination. And it will obviously not be an SAB anymore. Right? And that's an actual hepa filter as you can see in the pic. I am probably going to end up actually building a cabinet. I have all the tools and more than enough know how as I am a GC and a Superintendent, Of I can build houses and commercial buildings, I think I can handle a box lmao. But I am waiting on the innovation to happen. I'm drawing blueprints already.
  • Salty117 likes this

#47 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:04 AM

I wonder what you're going call your SAB once the the air isn't still anymore? A Turbulent Vector Box? If you got the funds to invest in UV lights and half ass filters, you might actually consider making the investment in an actual Flow Hood. Brother, this guy is a short distance from you, check him out. Until you understand the what and how your shit is contaminating all the pennies your are trying save by making makeshift stuff is a waist. Might as well be waisting stuff by doing open air transfer and learning to master that while tossing failed projects. Anyway you're new and will want to reinvent the wheel with a white lab coat on. I can't help or criticize that as most of have been there. Check out this guy, look him up, he's somewhat local and will turn you on to some cool resources. https://www.etsy.com...PhenomenalFungi

Also.... those boxes are a thousand bucks and up. I'll build a better box for less than half the cost. I'll drop pics here when it's done. I'm also going to make a blueprint w/ instructions step by step to help anyone out that is starting where I am now. I just inoculated 3 bags and 3 agar not even a week ago. I grew in a fish tank, that I fully automated,, using the Mason jar method back in 2000 or 2001, long before it became simple. I was 20yrs old and wide open so I didn't have innovationon my mind at all It was a pain in the ass. I'm grateful for the simplicity of the new teks.

#48 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

One of the pics I sent didn't drop. This is the other side of the hepa. 20211027_182838.jpg

#49 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2021 - 11:21 AM

Do you understand the physics and math involved sizing the box, filter, motor and exhaust? That doesn't look like it will give you anything but turbulent air. No one uses UV anything in the hobby either. 

Box with 2 arm holes call it a day. Saved you time, money, and headaches. 

https://www.priceind...fan-filter-unit

Quick google. Look at their components and now picture your rounded shit hitting the walls and ceiling and blowing contams all over. CONTAMS ARE EVERYWHERE.

Edited by rockyfungus, 28 October 2021 - 11:23 AM.

#50 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:09 PM

I've tripped on just about everything there is to trip on. 

One consistent fact (for me anyway) is I have a harder time getting into what the trip is showing me if I do so in an indoor setting.

The artificial nature and structures of our modern life become very obvious and distracting when your mind is blown open and revealing its inner hidden recesses to you.

Sunrise in a field of green, with life of all makes, shapes and sizes always put me back into the place our universe created for us.  It is glorious and humbles me.  Ego, and pride in our artificial lives lead to madness in our souls.

Get your butt outside for the experience.  Even if its just your own backyard.  Nature is the place we come from and it just "feels" correct somehow.

I prefer a weekend with a new moon, so the bright light won't distract. 

• coorsmikey, FLASHINGROOSTER and xXHeathenXx like this

#51 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,783 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

It's not going to make the difference between success and failure, so IMO you should not use it unless it can be turned on and off remotely so you're not exposed to it at any point. It's a cumulative problem, and even very brief exposure times will add up.

Also, for it to work as intended the air it sterilizes must be exceptionally clean of particulates (like post-HEPA filtered) since particles "shade" the light and allow contaminants to survive.

I know they were using these uv lights to disinfect face masks during the shortage of ppe. So there has to be something to it.

That was almost certainly not nearly as effective as those who were doing it hoped, mainly because of the shade problem. And what might work for a mask won't necessarily work for growing fungi since uncolonized substrates are FAR more susceptible to contamination/infection than we are if our immune systems are not compromised.

I don't have contamination. And it will obviously not be an SAB anymore. Right? And that's an actual hepa filter as you can see in the pic. I am probably going to end up actually building a cabinet. I have all the tools and more than enough know how as I am a GC and a Superintendent, Of I can build houses and commercial buildings, I think I can handle a box lmao. But I am waiting on the innovation to happen. I'm drawing blueprints already.

You will eventually.

It's all but inevitable in a residential setting. And when the ambient airborne contaminant load rises beyond a certain point then your filter will make the difference between continued success and exponentially-rising failure (the dreaded lab "crash"). You could also just grow with BRF style jars which don't really require any fancy air filters at all.

HEPA filtration alone is not adequate for those conditions, which is why we use "laminar flow hoods." The laminar flow part is essential to how they work, since air turbulence is correlated with contamination.

The number of airborne contaminants rises for various reasons that can't all be controlled (air conditioner growing mold in the condensation tray, natural seasonal variation, previous grows that contaminated and were not disposed of before sporulating indoors, and so on). The number falls when those conditions change or improve, but we're only concerned about when it rises above problematic levels since there will always be some present and all we can really do is outrun them.

And when the time comes, if you want to go all the way to the limit of what fungi can show you then eat ~7 bone-dry grams (pre-soaked in lime juice!) in total darkness and silence in a comfortable, safe setting with excellent fresh air quality.

Your bedroom often works fine if you can truly black it out to total darkness (and ideally silence, too). That facilitates the kind of trip that goes deepest into the Self (IME) which can have a different energy than a trip outdoors (which is also awesome; IMO we should all have lots of both kinds of trips). When I trip big outside I pick a place where I'd be comfortable running around naked for 6 hours (not that I'm prone to doing so, just that it's similar to how exposed we can feel in that state of mind if we unexpectedly bump into other people).

• Salty117 and xXHeathenXx like this

#52 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:05 PM

LabRat Hoodz on Etsy makes reasonably priced Laminar Flow hoods and they look nice too. Been thinking about getting their 2'x4' model when it becomes available

Edited by Salty117, 28 October 2021 - 03:06 PM.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#53 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 04:16 PM

It's not going to make the difference between success and failure, so IMO you should not use it unless it can be turned on and off remotely so you're not exposed to it at any point. It's a cumulative problem, and even very brief exposure times will add up.

Also, for it to work as intended the air it sterilizes must be exceptionally clean of particulates (like post-HEPA filtered) since particles "shade" the light and allow contaminants to survive.

I know they were using these uv lights to disinfect face masks during the shortage of ppe. So there has to be something to it.

That was almost certainly not nearly as effective as those who were doing it hoped, mainly because of the shade problem. And what might work for a mask won't necessarily work for growing fungi since uncolonized substrates are FAR more susceptible to contamination/infection than we are if our immune systems are not compromised.

You will eventually.

It's all but inevitable in a residential setting. And when the ambient airborne contaminant load rises beyond a certain point then your filter will make the difference between continued success and exponentially-rising failure (the dreaded lab "crash"). You could also just grow with BRF style jars which don't really require any fancy air filters at all.

HEPA filtration alone is not adequate for those conditions, which is why we use "laminar flow hoods." The laminar flow part is essential to how they work, since air turbulence is correlated with contamination.

The number of airborne contaminants rises for various reasons that can't all be controlled (air conditioner growing mold in the condensation tray, natural seasonal variation, previous grows that contaminated and were not disposed of before sporulating indoors, and so on). The number falls when those conditions change or improve, but we're only concerned about when it rises above problematic levels since there will always be some present and all we can really do is outrun them.

And when the time comes, if you want to go all the way to the limit of what fungi can show you then eat ~7 bone-dry grams (pre-soaked in lime juice!) in total darkness and silence in a comfortable, safe setting with excellent fresh air quality.

Your bedroom often works fine if you can truly black it out to total darkness (and ideally silence, too). That facilitates the kind of trip that goes deepest into the Self (IME) which can have a different energy than a trip outdoors (which is also awesome; IMO we should all have lots of both kinds of trips). When I trip big outside I pick a place where I'd be comfortable running around naked for 6 hours (not that I'm prone to doing so, just that it's similar to how exposed we can feel in that state of mind if we unexpectedly bump into other people).
I seen a video that had a hepa filter system very similar to the one I got for 10 bucks and he took a dry cleaning bag and taped the open end to the exhaust of the hepa unit. He let it fill and cut holes for hands and an exhaust at the end. The positive pressure kept the bag inflated and steady air from a hepa unit. I thought it was pretty crafty

#54 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:54 AM

I’ve seen a video of IT doing ANYTHING on the internet. Doesn’t mean shit. Look where we've ended up as a society...

We have like experience, repeatability, evidence, and open discussion.

What ya bringing other then old shitty hacks that don’t work. I can inoculate in open air. I won’t because I knows odds.

To be nicer. We have been doing this for awhile. There's a fuck ton of misinformation out there. There's people that deliberately want you to fail.
Don't reinvent shit. Just do what works and when you get every nuance then experiment with the variables. Or what the years of tinkers have tried before.

"I don't have contamination. And it will obviously not be an SAB anymore. Right? And that's an actual hepa filter as you can see in the pic. I am probably going to end up actually building a cabinet. I have all the tools and more than enough know how as I am a GC and a Superintendent, Of I can build houses and commercial buildings, I think I can handle a box lmao. But I am waiting on the innovation to happen. I'm drawing blueprints already."

First off have you grown mushrooms. Can you repeat the process without someone else providing you a "sterile" syringe. If you've succeeded a few times welcome to the inevitable collapse of everything you thought you knew. The mushroom is in charge, this isn't a pot plant... Forget everything you think you know about plants and life. Let the mushroom teach you...

If you can't let the mushroom or OTHERs guide you. GTFO and come back with PROOF. Sorry I'm sick of this same shit constantly.

You sound handy. I ain't but good luck solving this with a box. Hopefully you got the specs of that "hepa". A real HEPA is what 400-600 bucks these days, need to request a quote usually. Was under the assumption you want a flat filter to not have to solve some turbulence from the rounded filter (again not handy)

[Direct Link]

Edited by rockyfungus, 30 October 2021 - 02:16 AM.

• bezevo and Severian like this

#55 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 09:19 AM

HEPA filters are very expensive.  They can be extremely effective at reducing contamination.  They often have small holes in them right from the manufacturer.(especially the ones found on Ebay)

I have grown the fungi I wanted once.  I have grown contamination an uncounted number of times.  I have tested filters numerous times as a part of my latest job.  We have a set-up with blower motors and toggle

clamps to perform Particulate testing with a "smoke" generator and read the outflow with a particle counter This is our standard procedure before delivery and installation.

Also standard procedure, is PATCHING the filters because most come from the factory with a small leak.  When the leak is too big, or the number of patched spots exceeds 3 per 100 Sq. Centimeter,

the filter was rejected by us.  NOTHING stops all the particles unless it is impermeable(things like glass and steel).  99.99% only means that a much much smaller, but still mind blowing large number of particles come through.

We returned the rejects to our vendor, and I suspect(know) the filters on Ebay are some fabulous capitalistic examples of this supply of non virgin product.

They are great HELP, not a cure.  Sterile procedure is mostly just a saying meaning precautions are taken

This sermon is over.  I will now return to my humble lurker mode.

• Arathu, Juthro, Salty117 and 1 other like this

#56 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,019 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

I remember CoorsMikey telling me to take off my lab coat off on one my first few posts around here. It was good advice I should have followed more closely

Newbs like me waste a ton of money trying to get around the easily proven established tecks. I can't quite recall my motivation for doing so, it had to come from a place of ignorance, trying to piece together what I thought would work based on the various guides one would read. The over abundance of conflicting information is a bit overwhelming if your puling from multiple sources and trying to absorb it all without any guidance.  I was mixing and matching like it aint no thang, even though I had no skills to be doing such a thing. I ended up buying expensive pre sterilized grain bags and paid a ton for shipping, and then doing what I thought were simple syringe inoculations proved to be a disaster. There goes a hundred buck that could have went towards a pressure cooker and some jars. I think it was me looking to equipment my way out of the situation when what you really need is practice and some time to gain experience by failing.

So save some money and start simple, once you got the process down you might want to invest in a flow hood.  I was one of those guys that decided to skip BRF teck because, well in my silly brain I thought it looked like it was a beginner step I thought I could skip. I was so wrong. Went and bought this huge ass tub of rye grain from a farmer and then started to wonder if I had bought fungus resistant grain. I can't seem to crack the code on those jars yet, perhaps in another few runs I might try it again to see if its my sterile technique or bad preparation but they always fail.

The thing with this hobby is once you crack the code you will be able to grow more mushrooms than you will know what to do with. So save yourself a ton of disappointment and grief when you get contaminated by starting with small cheap costing runs (Like brown rice jars). Throwing out 20 something jars when you were "sure" it would work this time really sucks.

All in I probably wasted something like 2 or 3 hundred bucks and many months of time before I decided to follow this simple teck.

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 30 October 2021 - 10:20 AM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro, GORF and 1 other like this

#57 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,783 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:55 AM

I seen a video that had a hepa filter system very similar to the one I got for 10 bucks and he took a dry cleaning bag and taped the open end to the exhaust of the hepa unit. He let it fill and cut holes for hands and an exhaust at the end. The positive pressure kept the bag inflated and steady air from a hepa unit. I thought it was pretty crafty

Crafty is good, but we don't usually have to reinvent the wheel.

There's a reason why industry pros (people who make a living growing mushrooms) don't use such methods.

So long as we're growing at a scale that allows us to tolerate a relatively high failure rate (higher than those who've made large investments in a commercial operation can accept) then we can use the less-than-ideal approaches without it becoming cost prohibitive.

If your long-term goal with fungi is to grow a shitload (legal or otherwise) then you'd be best served by focusing on learning the industry-standard approaches (with the required gear, like a flow hood). If that's where you want to go then IMO you should start using standard approaches now to establish good habits/technique (you also have to know how to work in front of a flow hood properly; just having one isn't enough).

If your goal is to maintain a head stash for yourself and some friends then any non-standard, small-scale approach that works for you is good enough, and does not require an investment in expensive gear like a flow hood.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#58 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2021 - 12:20 PM

Out of likes. You guys are more eloquent then me.
  • xXHeathenXx likes this

#59 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:00 PM

Out of likes. You guys are more eloquent then me.

That is for sure. I get that you guys are probably sick of seeing people post up their latest project/idea that goes against the grain what they will likely eventually turn to using down the line but getting so wound up like this seems... excessive. In my opinion, let people do what they're going to do because they're probably going to do it anyway so just let them figure it out if that's the direction they want to go. I'm sure most would understand that breaking away from "the wheel" means heading into uncertain territories that raise their chances of not reaching their goal. Would it be "cheaper" to have just listened and gone the inevitable route from the beginning? Sure. But sometimes people just need to learn for them selfs. If Heathen puts this thing together and sees it through to the end and it turns out to work just fine for him, then great! Super, that's wonderful that it worked for him and I wish him the best of luck. If it turns out that it doesn't work just fine and he keeps getting contaminated agar plates and grains, etc. then well, you told him so and you get to say that.

Edited by Salty117, 30 October 2021 - 01:05 PM.

• GORF and xXHeathenXx like this

#60 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 03:27 PM

I've also done some research on a diy built box. I have been in construction my whole life,(literally since 1995) the flow hood looks very easily built. I did find a 12x24 hepa flow filter for under 100$ on a site. Found some inline fans and squirrel cage fans for a decent price under 100$. The mdf board is so crazy priced now that, that might actually be the most expensive part lol
  • Salty117 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!