80 replies to this topic

#61 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2021 - 01:24 AM

As Gorf pointed out, the only thing that matters is the HEPA. Most that are cheap are damaged, or that delivery will be 500 bucks so they don't wreck it?
I could be off base about delivery but I've heard of special shipments. If you can find cheap parts that are up to specs, DO IT!
But why? Are you working in a SAB for 8 hours a day? Are you working with bags that are too tall? Are you at a critical contamination point and a need a fix now because you're in production?

Sorry to rant at ya the other day. Lack of sleep and I took some shit out on ya. Don't want ya to fail or get discouraged so we try and get ya going in a cheap, reliable, almost foolproof fashion. 
Jars, brown rice, vermiculite, and a syringe from a reliable vendor. Little patience and you'll have too much fruit. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 31 October 2021 - 01:25 AM.

• Juthro, Salty117, FLASHINGROOSTER and 2 others like this

#62 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,158 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:21 AM

Life's all about the journey, the process of going through the actions needed to come to the end of the quest, eh salty.

No harm in trying to push a person to take the easier path, but yes ultimately it is up to them to decided which road to take. Personally I am a fan of bare bones style. Makes for less troubleshooting when those jars fail to produce anything but smelly farts

• Salty117, rockyfungus and xXHeathenXx like this

#63 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 12:00 PM

I've tripped on just about everything there is to trip on. 

One consistent fact (for me anyway) is I have a harder time getting into what the trip is showing me if I do so in an indoor setting.

The artificial nature and structures of our modern life become very obvious and distracting when your mind is blown open and revealing its inner hidden recesses to you.

Sunrise in a field of green, with life of all makes, shapes and sizes always put me back into the place our universe created for us.  It is glorious and humbles me.  Ego, and pride in our artificial lives lead to madness in our souls.

Oh yeah; This is crucial- there is NEVER any kind of electric light on for me. ONLY candles if I'm indoors. (should go without saying, but be careful!) 

• Salty117 likes this

#64 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:59 PM

I wonder what you're going call your SAB once the the air isn't still anymore? A Turbulent Vector Box? If you got the funds to invest in UV lights and half ass filters, you might actually consider making the investment in an actual Flow Hood. Brother, this guy is a short distance from you, check him out. Until you understand the what and how your shit is contaminating all the pennies your are trying save by making makeshift stuff is a waist. Might as well be waisting stuff by doing open air transfer and learning to master that while tossing failed projects. Anyway you're new and will want to reinvent the wheel with a white lab coat on. I can't help or criticize that as most of have been there. Check out this guy, look him up, he's somewhat local and will turn you on to some cool resources. https://www.etsy.com...PhenomenalFungi

I've also done some research on a diy built box. I have been in construction my whole life,(literally since 1995) the flow hood looks very easily built. I did find a 12x24 hepa flow filter for under 100$ on a site. Found some inline fans and squirrel cage fans for a decent price under 100$. The mdf board is so crazy priced now that, that might actually be the most expensive part lol

MDF is heavy as hell.

That might become relevant depending on your situation. I built my 2' x 3' hood with 1/2" plywood and with the blower attached it's way too big and heavy to move around by myself without it being set on the frame I built to hold it (that has casters).

If you're not moving it much then you could probably build a box out of drywall (glued together with 1x2's at all the seams perhaps) that works as well as any. That would be heavy, too but cheap and easy to rebuild so instead of moving it you'd just make a new box wherever you move your lab to. Or plastic sheet, even. If it bows outward under pressure it wouldn't matter so long as it held a seal around the actual HEPA filter.

My hood only just barely fits through a standard 32" wide door opening, but that's only because I thought about that problem ahead of time and designed my setup around that constraint. It would suck to build a nice flow hood only to find it won't fit through the door to the "lab."

• Salty117 and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#65 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:29 AM

You and this thread popped to mind this morning, and had another thought hat may be helpful.

Instead of "heroic" doses, microdosing over a longer period may be helpful as well. Instead of trying to "rewire" things all at once, I think the microdosing may help by getting your mind in a state where it/you could better process things, somewhat taking the edge off.

Plus, a session with your therapist on a microdose would be easily done.

Any who, how does the grow go?

God bless brother.

Edited by Micogi, 04 November 2021 - 08:35 AM.

• Salty117 likes this

#66 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:54 PM

Life's all about the journey, the process of going through the actions needed to come to the end of the quest, eh salty.

No harm in trying to push a person to take the easier path, but yes ultimately it is up to them to decided which road to take. Personally I am a fan of bare bones style. Makes for less troubleshooting when those jars fail to produce anything but smelly farts

I was hoping the UV would just put my sab more sterile. I read the instructions and warnings about these. I think that may be why they put the on button have a 5sec delay.... so while all the dust settles down after turning the hvac off that it would add a benefit to the sab. It's also got a timer on it. It can be started for a set amount of time and turn off automatically. I can be safe w it but I thought it killing bacteria in the sab would help more than harm. I know I still have to iso constantly. If I don't notice any benefit, I can just take it down cuz it's attached via suction cups.
Do yall think it will do more harm than good?

#67 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 02:21 PM

Out of likes. You guys are more eloquent then me.

That is for sure. I get that you guys are probably sick of seeing people post up their latest project/idea that goes against the grain what they will likely eventually turn to using down the line but getting so wound up like this seems... excessive. In my opinion, let people do what they're going to do because they're probably going to do it anyway so just let them figure it out if that's the direction they want to go. I'm sure most would understand that breaking away from "the wheel" means heading into uncertain territories that raise their chances of not reaching their goal. Would it be "cheaper" to have just listened and gone the inevitable route from the beginning? Sure. But sometimes people just need to learn for them selfs. If Heathen puts this thing together and sees it through to the end and it turns out to work just fine for him, then great! Super, that's wonderful that it worked for him and I wish him the best of luck. If it turns out that it doesn't work just fine and he keeps getting contaminated agar plates and grains, etc. then well, you told him so and you get to say that.
Lol
I just added a uv light to the sab....for now. As long as it works on the next use as well as it did the first time, I'll be happy. I feel like it can't hurt the mycelium or the spores but there is a possibility it can help kill more and all bacteria. If it does, awesome cuz it was less than 20$ for this thing and if it doesn't help then I'm sure I can use it down the road for somethin else. I want a flow hood. I just don't have the space right now. Wish I did though cuz after the first try come to a point of colonization and come back w a loss, I'll really wish I just had built a flow hood first. I'm not fond of failure and I've put alot into learning this stuff in the past couple months b4 actually spending a dime. Since then I've spent a good bit.
I've come to realize that I need to get a certain degree of this down to science before going all out. Need to work out the kinks in my process before that. It makes sense not wasting more $ on anything else. I have everything I need for now anyway. Someone did mention somethin about an autoclave..... I don't think I've ever seen an autoclave so I def don't know if that will cut enough time to need it or not. Idk imma noob
  • Salty117 likes this

#68 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 02:46 PM

Someone did mention somethin about an autoclave.

A pressure cooker can serve the purpose of an autoclave for most of your mycology related needs. I use a couple of old Burpee can sealers, All American PC's are well-renown as well. Something with a 15psi jiggler weight are what many at-home mycology enthusiasts seek for sterilizing things such as prepared grains, liquid culture, agar, and spore water (before the spores are added..)

• Juthro and xXHeathenXx like this

#69 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:00 PM

A pressure cooker can serve the purpose of an autoclave for most of your mycology related needs. I use a couple of old Burpee can sealers, All American PC's are well-renown as well. Something with a 15psi jiggler weight are what many at-home mycology enthusiasts seek for sterilizing things such as prepared grains, liquid culture, agar, and spore water (before the spores are added..)
If it's as cheap as I've been told and it's around 100 bucks..... would you buy it? What's it useful for

#70 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,158 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:38 PM

I was hoping the UV would just put my sab more sterile. I read the instructions and warnings about these. I think that may be why they put the on button have a 5sec delay.... so while all the dust settles down after turning the hvac off that it would add a benefit to the sab. It's also got a timer on it. It can be started for a set amount of time and turn off automatically. I can be safe w it but I thought it killing bacteria in the sab would help more than harm. I know I still have to iso constantly. If I don't notice any benefit, I can just take it down cuz it's attached via suction cups.

I have no experience with those things so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Sounds like a use with caution type of situation, the risk reward ratio seems debatable. One case of welders flash from a mistake would be enough for me. But I suppose if one made a safe procedure to follow the risk could be mitigated for the most part. It seems plastic is enough to block the rays. Not using it when in the room seems like it would be fine to me, however it does not eliminate the part when you walk back in and disturb all the air in the room. To picture what your going up against imagine that sunbeam in your window, when you can see the thousands of dust particles floating in the beam. Every arm swing and breath is going to effect those particles in the room and potentially land them back inside your SAB.

• rockyfungus and xXHeathenXx like this

#71 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:45 PM

I have no experience with those things so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Sounds like a use with caution type of situation, the risk reward ratio seems debatable. One case of welders flash from a mistake would be enough for me. But I suppose if one made a safe procedure to follow the risk could be mitigated for the most part. It seems plastic is enough to block the rays. Not using it when in the room seems like it would be fine to me, however it does not eliminate the part when you walk back in and disturb all the air in the room. To picture what your going up against imagine that sunbeam in your window, when you can see the thousands of dust particles floating in the beam. Every arm swing and breath is going to effect those particles in the room and potentially land them back inside your SAB.
I've looked into the light. Before I really read the warning lol. It wasn't like welder burn. I stick welded for about a decade and the flash from that is very different. It was inside the sab though so that may make a difference in the amount of the uv is really getting to my eyes or skin. I'd really like to create a positive pressure in the sab though. I think maybe that small hepa unit I bought could work by using a duct to connect it to the box, clean and detachable for easy storing. I will build a flow hood when I can for sure. I want the things I have to be as efficient and effective as they can possibly be. This is assuming the hepa filter is still good.
  • FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#72 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:48 PM

Only one sure way to know.... after the sab and area are sanitary, try the filter and place a couple agar plates in there and inoculate then watch the results unfold 20211027_180121.jpg 20211027_182838.jpg

#73 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:58 PM

If it's as cheap as I've been told and it's around 100 bucks..... would you buy it? What's it useful for

A range of uses from sterilizing Agar for culture isolation.. sterilizing Liquid Culture solution for culture expansion.. sterilizing grains so that your mycelium culture can thrive without competition for food while it grows... sterilizing water for spores to be added to from a print so that one can attempt germination..

It can also be used to can meats and vegetables for long-term storage, or cook a slab of pork.

• Juthro and xXHeathenXx like this

#74 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:00 PM

A range of uses from sterilizing Agar for culture isolation.. sterilizing Liquid Culture solution for culture expansion.. sterilizing grains so that your mycelium culture can thrive without competition for food while it grows... sterilizing water for spores to be added to from a print so that one can attempt germination..

It can also be used to can meats and vegetables for long-term storage, or cook a slab of pork.
Wow. It sounds useful lol. If it's cheaper or about the same cost as a pressure cooker then I'll buy the autoclave for sure.

#75 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:00 PM

A range of uses from sterilizing Agar for culture isolation.. sterilizing Liquid Culture solution for culture expansion.. sterilizing grains so that your mycelium culture can thrive without competition for food while it grows... sterilizing water for spores to be added to from a print so that one can attempt germination..

Wow. It sounds useful lol. If it's cheaper or about the same cost as a pressure cooker then I'll buy the autoclave for sure.

Oh my bad, I thought you were asking what the uses for a pressure cooker were. lol

Edit: An Autoclave is something you would find in a more professional laboratory setup. A pressure cooker in most cases I think is the cheaper route

Edited by Salty117, 04 November 2021 - 04:01 PM.

#76 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:02 PM

Oh my bad, I thought you were asking what the uses for a pressure cooker were. lol
Lol no. I've read about that. The autoclave I know nothing about. I'll have to Google it or somethin

#77 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,823 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:19 PM

Essentially a pressure canner is an autoclave, it is designed to sterilize medium with high pressure/temperature steam.   I think you'll find that pressure canners are more available, affordable, and completely capable of doing anything you need as a mycology hobbyist.   Though if you can get your hands on a cheap professional autoclave, jump on it.  I would anyway.

My best advice is don't overcomplicate growing mushrooms, they already want to grow for you, you just need to let them.  They don't care how fancy your equipment is.

Good luck, and good grows :)

Edited by Juthro, 04 November 2021 - 04:20 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

#78 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:21 PM

Essentially a pressure canner is an autoclave, it is designed to sterilize medium with high pressure/temperature steam. I think you'll find that pressure canners are more available, affordable, and completely capable of doing anything you need as a mycology hobbyist. Though if you can get your hands on a cheap professional autoclave, jump on it. I would anyway.

My best advice is don't overcomplicate growing mushrooms, they already want to grow for you, you just need to let them. They don't care how fancy your equipment is.

Good luck, and good grows :)

#79 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,158 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2021 - 05:14 PM

I've looked into the light. Before I really read the warning lol. It wasn't like welder burn. I stick welded for about a decade and the flash from that is very different. It was inside the sab though so that may make a difference in the amount of the uv is really getting to my eyes or skin. I'd really like to create a positive pressure in the sab though. I think maybe that small hepa unit I bought could work by using a duct to connect it to the box, clean and detachable for easy storing. I will build a flow hood when I can for sure. I want the things I have to be as efficient and effective as they can possibly be. This is assuming the hepa filter is still good.There

I run a hepa filter in my little closet a day or so before I inoculate but never when doing injections. Guys will say to turn off the furnace as well to keep air disturbance down. The thing with building a positive pressure box is it might work worse than still calm air. Part of what makes the flow hood work is the amount of air forced combined with the filtration. That one with the guy in the lab and his long dry cleaning bag was one of  the better videos I have seen on youtube. The thing with those videos on youtube is there never seems to be much proof of results posted. I haven't seen any evidence of them producing great results, I would think there would be more guys using them considering how cheap they are. He did mention nobody complained so who knows his setup might produce favorable results.

[Direct Link]

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 04 November 2021 - 05:19 PM.

#80 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:51 PM

I've looked into the light. Before I really read the warning lol. It wasn't like welder burn. I stick welded for about a decade and the flash from that is very different. It was inside the sab though so that may make a difference in the amount of the uv is really getting to my eyes or skin. I'd really like to create a positive pressure in the sab though. I think maybe that small hepa unit I bought could work by using a duct to connect it to the box, clean and detachable for easy storing. I will build a flow hood when I can for sure. I want the things I have to be as efficient and effective as they can possibly be. This is assuming the hepa filter is still good.There

I run a hepa filter in my little closet a day or so before I inoculate but never when doing injections. Guys will say to turn off the furnace as well to keep air disturbance down. The thing with building a positive pressure box is it might work worse than still calm air. Part of what makes the flow hood work is the amount of air forced combined with the filtration. That one with the guy in the lab and his long dry cleaning bag was one of the better videos I have seen on youtube. The thing with those videos on youtube is there never seems to be much proof of results posted. I haven't seen any evidence of them producing great results, I would think there would be more guys using them considering how cheap they are. He did mention nobody complained so who knows his setup might produce favorable results.

[Direct Link]

The still air worked for me almost 11 days ago on my first inoculation of bags and agar. One of the strains did nothing at all but I'm pretty sure thats a SS issue but the other 2 have mycelium growth in the agar and no bacteria growing on anything. Idk why I haven't seen any mycelium in the bags yet but I have to assume it is growing and I just can't see it yet.
  • Salty117 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!