• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:14 AM

My PC recently started leaking out of this piece and will not exceed 5 psi. Not even sure what it's function is. Has anyone had the same problem and know of a way to fix it?

IMG_20211023_091050552.jpg

Edit: nvm this was an easy fix, the gasket just needs to be replaced lol.

Edited by Dabluebonic, 23 October 2021 - 09:27 AM.

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:55 AM

Clean and grease the gasket and see if it helps. 

• Salty117 and MushLuvR like this

#3 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:56 AM

My PC recently started leaking out of this piece and will not exceed 5 psi. Not even sure what it's function is. Has anyone had the same problem and know of a way to fix it?

attachicon.gifIMG_20211023_091050552.jpg

Edit: nvm this was an easy fix, the gasket just needs to be replaced lol.

Duck tape lol

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

Clean and grease the gasket and see if it helps. 

And make sure that the "grease" you use is cooking oil - so as not to break down the integrity of the seal material with petrochemicals.

• Arathu, Salty117, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:24 PM

My guess or BET is on some debris on the inside of the gasket(mine has little grooves in the gasket to line up... Check yours), I have had this happen years ago(cleaned it thoroughly, it had been sitting for awhile) and I've had the same gasket since I bought it in 08 or 09.  If it leaks in the beginning of locking the cooker, this is normal and will evap off once it's completely sealed, if it's continuous, like leaking while it's rocking... gasket it out of the grooves, dirty, or ruined somehow.  

• rockyfungus likes this

#6 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:08 PM

Mines leaking from one of the handles and won't hold pressure at all.. haven't examined it yet to see if I can fix it
  • xXHeathenXx likes this

#7 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

Hey... Mrs. Hippie in the House(raises eyebrows)... hopefully you can fix your cooker, I'm visualizing you PC'n with a vintage PC, bet you have a Presto you've been running Forever.  

• Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:59 PM

most   brands sell  parts . like gaskets ,  pressure gauges , pressure release valves ,over pressure plugs, handles ect.

My AA PC  doesn't have/need  a gasket  but  all  replacement parts are available on there co web site at reasonable prices .

bez

• Juthro and MushLuvR like this

#9 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 02:20 PM

Mines leaking from one of the handles and won't hold pressure at all.. haven't examined it yet to see if I can fix it

Use gasket sealer from an auto parts store. It's red and made for high heat application. It'll work
  • Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#10 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:18 PM

All  -  Joking Aside  ,

Always Use  proper  replacement parts .

Important  - proper maintenance and safe  user practices are a Very Serious safety Concern .

Pay attention to your PC as it operates ....Monitor pressure exct ....! ! Don't Space Off .

Make sure children ,  pets , Grandma and You Are Safe.

A good tip put a plate over jars  or bags grain   so the risk of pressure relief valve being blocked is reduced 

EXPLOSIONS ! CAN Fuk ! Up Your Day !

https://www.startpag...3966686e7755961

[Direct Link]

Edited by bezevo, 05 November 2021 - 08:46 PM.

• Arathu, Juthro, Salty117 and 1 other like this

#11 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

Pay attention to your PC as it operates ....Monitor pressure exct ....! ! Don't Space Off .

quote for emphasis. I am guilty of getting distracted and my PC doesn't have a jiggler weight just a screw-on pressure relief valve that starts making noise around 20 psi... I am also extremely thankful I haven't blown myself, or the stove, to bits.

• Juthro and xXHeathenXx like this

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2021 - 12:35 PM

Oh i for got  ......................Pack your PC  to get jars or bags up off the bottom of PC  on top of a good  PC screen or  a few  lid rings and put enough water  in that PC so there's no  danger of it going dry .. ........................ !

Once your PC  gets over heated  and warped Due to  going dry  etc ..............TOSS It ....!

Buy a New one... Before the compromised metal gives and you have a nice Scalding Explosion .

THINK . ! .... Ahead how your going to proceed with your PC run,  .

Plan. ! ..... step by step... to eliminate any dangerous procedures.

Write Plan /list of steps Down .

if your are Easily Distracted get a couple of  kitchen timers ,

one for  overall time of PC  run

and one to remind you to check on pressure valve . every so many minutes .

Brittle gasket BOOM .!......Space Shuttle Explodes !

Brittle PC  Metal or gasket BOOM. !..... PC Explodes !

SEE IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE ! ...............................................DOH !

LUBE your gasket  before  use and again after your done cleaning up, lube it again before you put  PC away  after clean up .

If you have a PC like an All American that does not use a gasket lube the lid to  pot mating surface before  PC run and again after clean up  before PC put up for storage ,

Please again  !  ...Be Safe  ,,,,,,,,,,

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 06 November 2021 - 01:27 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,713 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2021 - 11:50 PM

One of the advantages to running an All American, or other PC with a jiggler weight, is that they are easy to mind in the background by noise.  You just listen to the weight jiggle every minute or so if you have the heat set right.  If it's rattling all the time, you're driving the canner too hard and need to cut back on the heat.  If you're not hearing it you need to turn it up, or you've run out of water to turn to steam.  Either way, you know it needs immediate attention.

I am easily distracted, and having the noise of the weight is a nice way to help me keep track of the canner on long runs without having to hover over the stove the whole time, and it lets me get other things done during the cycle time.  I dont have to even be in the same room.

I also suggest an external battery operated timer, cuz if you're partway through a batch (in my case it was smoked fish), and the power blinks, your digital timer on the microwave just screwed you if you weren't paying attention to what it said right before the blink.    Now you have to guess. If you go too short you might not sterilize your batch (in my case create the risk of food poisoning), and if you go long you can overcook (which is what happened to me, and it overcooked a bunch of fish)  

You can also just note the time your canner came up to pressure, and that would work as a back up plan as well.  I just never remember to do that, that's why I use a separate cooking timer.

Edited by Juthro, 06 November 2021 - 11:52 PM.

• Arathu and Cuboid like this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,063 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:46 AM

I run my AA just like Juthro described, the weight does a hissy dance every minute or so.....operating like that I get 3 and 4 hour runs on large wood substrates (bags and logs) and still have plenty of water left over......

I would literally cry if I effed up my AA 930 via negligence (or strong flowers and spirits, getting lost in space).........we actually have like four pressure cookers of various sizes.....

I use cooking oil on gaskets and even on the rubber pressure plug. Inspect them closely and regularly. Olive oil on the AA taper seal. Look for cracks, nicks, tears, and any degradation of the rubber gaskets and plug(s).The metal parts too. PC's are serious business. Keep the innocent, especially children, AWAY.  Always replace with NEW OEM PARTS. FYI....Autozone is not authorized dealer of pressure cooker components. Also be sure to check each port and make certain they are not clogged. Make sure there isn't any debris in that sealing/check valve either (it lets the PC return to atmospheric pressure after starting the cooling process and you'll see it drop when no longer pressurized)

Never attempt to rapidly depressurize or cool your PC's after a run. Turn them off and let them sit. Also difficulty opening a PC is a symptom of a pressure differential (either above or actually below ATM too so keep that in mind and NEVER use tools to get a lid off EVER) If I plug the rocker/regulator port on the AA and let it cool to room temp it will vacuum seal the lid on it. I found that out the hard way by laying a paper towel soaked with isopropyl alcohol over it during cooling.....it sucked the paper towel (a chunk of it anyway) into the port and plugged it. Took a while to figure out what happened too....NO TOOLS involved except for a leather sewing needle and thimble.  

I would suspect your lid gasket first........

A

Edited by Arathu, 07 November 2021 - 07:55 AM.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#15 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:40 AM

There is a silicone like washer on the underside that you can try applying some olive oil to. If that doesn't work you can order a replacement. It's a two part piece that unscrews to replace the washer. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check it occasionally for tightness, it can come unscrewed over time.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!