Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Find Out if Your Neighboorhood is Carcinogenic!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:48 AM

This is an incredible, and infuriating, article. With links to interactive maps, so you can literally find out if or how bad wherever you happen to live is in terms of toxic pollution exposure.

https://www.propubli...ison-in-the-air

Poison in the Air

The EPA allows polluters to turn neighborhoods into “sacrifice zones” where residents breathe carcinogens. ProPublica reveals where these places are in a first-of-its-kind map and data analysis.

ProPublica undertook an analysis that has never been done before. Using advanced data processing software and a modeling tool developed by the Environmental Protection Agency, we mapped the spread of cancer-causing chemicals from thousands of sources of hazardous air pollution across the country between 2014 and 2018. The result is an unparalleled view of how toxic air blooms around industrial facilities and spreads into nearby neighborhoods.

The Most Detailed Map of Cancer-Causing Industrial Air Pollution in the U.S.

At the map’s intimate scale, it’s possible to see up close how a massive chemical plant near a high school in Port Neches, Texas, laces the air with benzene, an aromatic gas that can cause leukemia. Or how a manufacturing facility in New Castle, Delaware, for years blanketed a day care playground with ethylene oxide, a highly toxic chemical that can lead to lymphoma and breast cancer. Our analysis found that ethylene oxide is the biggest contributor to excess industrial cancer risk from air pollutants nationwide. Corporations across the United States, but especially in Texas and Louisiana, manufacture the colorless, odorless gas, which lingers in the air for months and is highly mutagenic, meaning it can alter DNA.

It's a fairly long article so I'll leave it at that. Anyone interested in finding out more about this problem should read the whole thing.

• wharfrat and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 02:58 PM

Thank you for sharing. It is scary what industry is allowed or even chooses to do to people!

I used to work near a refinery and at least once a year we'd have to hide in the office. Apparently it was cheaper to clean, burn off and pay the fines rather than cleaning the right way. We'd get burning eyes, nose and throat along with a heavy rotten egg smell, probably from sulfuric acid.
  • TVCasualty likes this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 03:12 PM

I got some toxic neighbors, any info on what to do with them?

seriously though, I live within spittin distance from a naval shipyard, and their pollution is a big problem here

the waters in the inlet are beyond carcinogenic. They have had ongoing suits brought on by the local Tribes

that have been going on for years, and they are still dumping pollution into the water. they got busted a few years

back because they were cleaning the ships hulls and not containing the runoff, letting it all dump into the bay. 

I wouldn't be surprised if most the land around here is brimming with toxins, might be why my garden never grows.

I can't believe people still fish down there, nuclear salmon yummm!

Edited by wharfrat, 02 November 2021 - 03:12 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#4 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 03:33 PM

Not too surprising really when you look at all the manufactured chemicals and ingredients we ingest and put into the earth.

I saw this as well, so while not in a hot spot from the above article, I do have "Forever Chemicals". I suspect this is probably true of many/most areas.

https://pfasproject....drinking-water/

#5 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 03:36 PM

I got some toxic neighbors, any info on what to do with them?

seriously though, I live within spittin distance from a naval shipyard, and their pollution is a big problem here

the waters in the inlet are beyond carcinogenic. They have had ongoing suits brought on by the local Tribes

that have been going on for years, and they are still dumping pollution into the water. they got busted a few years

back because they were cleaning the ships hulls and not containing the runoff, letting it all dump into the bay. 

I wouldn't be surprised if most the land around here is brimming with toxins, might be why my garden never grows.

I can't believe people still fish down there, nuclear salmon yummm!

blinky-fish.gif

• wharfrat likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!