Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Wet weight Vs. dry weight & eating babies...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:51 PM

Was curious, about wet vs dry. I think dosing guidelines are typically based on dry weight, would this be the same for wet/fresh picked?

As for eating babies, I have several half inchers I've been thinking of plucking and ingesting out of curiosity. I have some further thoughts on this and why, but nothing I can articulate ATM.

Anyone care to "weigh" in, or "waah" in?

• wharfrat likes this

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:56 PM

The general rule of thumb I see, is the reverse of the drying yield formula: 1g dry = 10g wet. However, wet mushrooms tend to be more potent due to the intact psilocin (which is lost during drying).

My recommendation is to start somewhere between 12g-22g wet. My last fresh trip, I blended 22g of freshies into some apple juice and had a fairly intense trip.

As for the babies, they may be stronger (by weight) than the bigger ones. IME, they usually are stronger. But YMMV.

Edited by HrVanker, 02 November 2021 - 05:59 PM.

• Juthro, wharfrat and rockyfungus like this

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 06:08 PM

Way more magical fresh. 7g of cubes dry doesn't even compare to 25g wet. (move that decimal to left, 2.5g)

• HrVanker and wharfrat like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 06:12 PM

HrVanker is spot on. I couldn't add anymore to that assessment 

• HrVanker likes this

#5 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

I plucked the bigger sprouts, only .3mg. I rinsed them off but probably should clean them off better but I have somewhat of an iron gut.

Going to see if I get anything from such a dose, I'll post how it goes.

Wish me well Psychonauts!

IMG_20211102_203930117.jpg

Edit: Mmm taste like shrooms... I haven't tasted them since the 90s!

Edited by Micogi, 02 November 2021 - 07:46 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#6 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

That's .3g or ~300mg. It may feel something like a stronger microdose, definitely get it ground up well to maximize the effect.

As mentioned earlier: acidic fruit juice and a blender works well. I recommend that any dose of mushrooms be ground up as fine as possible. It aids in absorbing the goodies and seems to cut down on bad gut feelings w/ dry shrooms.

Whoops, didn't see that you are it already. Have a good time!

Edited by HrVanker, 02 November 2021 - 07:59 PM.

#7 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:00 PM

That's .3g or ~300mg. It may feel something like a stronger microdose, definitely get it ground up well to maximize the effect.

As mentioned earlier: acidic fruit juice and a blender works well. I recommend that any dose of mushrooms be ground up as fine as possible. It aids in absorbing the goodies and seems to cut down on bad gut feelings w/ dry shrooms.

I did chew them up pretty well. In times past of eating shrooms I always popped em in my mouth, chewed, and swallowed. Next time I'll try some lemon or lime juice.

I'm not sure, but I think I may be feeling a little something, or my mind is just psyching myself up...

• HrVanker likes this

#8 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, not a fan of chewing them myself, so the blender is a huge help for me.

If you don't feel much of anything, you could probably eat more w/o tolerance interfering. I've eaten 13g fresh and that felt close to a 2-3.5g dry trip.

#9 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:22 PM

Ha, yeah, friends were like ew, how do you eat them like that?! I enjoy the flavor, or lack of, in anticipation of what follows ;)

I would have eaten more, but that was all I could scrounge! I'm definitely feeling a light something from it, pleasant.

Edited by Micogi, 02 November 2021 - 08:23 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#10 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:18 PM

The general rule of thumb I see, is the reverse of the drying yield formula: 1g dry = 10g wet. However, wet mushrooms tend to be more potent due to the intact psilocin (which is lost during drying).

My recommendation is to start somewhere between 12g-22g wet. My last fresh trip, I blended 22g of freshies into some apple juice and had a fairly intense trip.

As for the babies, they may be stronger (by weight) than the bigger ones. IME, they usually are stronger. But YMMV.

So with my 1st maturish pick I sliced a 2g slice off the stem last night and ate it, and today the remainder, about 4g. Both times was half, then a few hours later the remainder. 10-12g is sounding like it may be a good target for me going off how these effected me. Thinking tomorrow I'll try 6-8g.

Then will experiment with taking 1 stronger dose, or splitting in to two smaller doses. Two smaller would keep the effect going longer, but will taking more later reduce its efficacy?

Way more magical fresh. 7g of cubes dry doesn't even compare to 25g wet. (move that decimal to left, 2.5g)

How many shrooms by weight do i need to consume to get what you said? :P

Moving the decimal confuses me, 7g dry doesn't compare to 2.5g wet?

I've had 4g today, two earlier and two later and have been feeling mildly shroomy, I'll have to see what I pick in the morning but will shoot for at least doubling that tomorrow.

#11 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:30 PM

Playing around w/ dosages certainly isn't a bad idea. But you may start to develop a tolerance after a few days of doing so, which will impact your perception of the dose strength. Just something to watch out for.

When he says moving the decimal, he's talking about how when you dry 25g wet, you get ~2.5g dry. The comparison between 25g wet and 7g dry is to demonstrate just how much stronger wet mushrooms are when they are fresh, since 25g would become 2.5g dry.

I would say that if you want a moderately strong trip with fresh shrooms, shoot for 10-13g.
  • rockyfungus and Micogi like this

#12 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 714 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:52 PM

I ATE A BABY!
  • Micogi likes this

#13 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:07 PM

Playing around w/ dosages certainly isn't a bad idea. But you may start to develop a tolerance after a few days of doing so, which will impact your perception of the dose strength. Just something to watch out for.

When he says moving the decimal, he's talking about how when you dry 25g wet, you get ~2.5g dry. The comparison between 25g wet and 7g dry is to demonstrate just how much stronger wet mushrooms are when they are fresh, since 25g would become 2.5g dry.

I would say that if you want a moderately strong trip with fresh shrooms, shoot for 10-13g.

Yeah, I've heard of this "tolerance" you speak of. After trying tomorrow I'll give it a rest for a couple days. Once I hit a target dose I'll concoct a microdosing schedule. Provided I have any left... tee hee

Gotcha, thanks for that, great weigh to convert weight. I red and reread several times and wasn't quite sinking in...

• HrVanker likes this

#14 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, I'll be using this as a guide for bringing some treats to a friend's house this weekend.

Edit: Although in thinking, I'd imagine potency must start degrading from pick time. Looking at short term storing fresh ones for Friday, so maybe I should shoot for the higher end or even a g or two over.

Edited by Micogi, 08 November 2021 - 09:08 PM.

#15 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:25 PM

So to circle back on this, last night I ate 4.3 grams (split my 8.6g dried from flush) of dried fruit, and had a rather powerful experience, much more than I was expecting. The most I've eaten fresh was I think 6g, and then a couple more later. I at no point eating the freshies felt like I'd get anywhere near what I got lost night.

4.3g isn't a very big dose I don't think. Plus I'm 6'4 and 280, no small fry by any means. I've seen several posts here about harder trips on lower doses, I'm wondering if it was this.

I'm tempted to eat the other 4.3g to see if I get the same results. Not really, but am curious.

#16 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2021 - 10:13 PM

I've heard the larger you are the more serotonin receptors you have. You technically need less then me at 5'6 110...

WAIT FOR IT! FALSE!

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC8056712/

3.5g is considered a hefty dose for the average person 4-5g. Is getting into areas where you better know how to give up control. 

7g probably ego death for most. 

6g fresh is only 0.6g dry. 35-40g fresh kicks my ass. That's why Hr recommended ~13g. I say go for 25-30g cuz I like people to trip balls.

https://www.shroomer...sage-Calculator

Little calculator to help you get what ya want...

Edited by rockyfungus, 18 November 2021 - 11:45 PM.

• HrVanker and Micogi like this

#17 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:32 PM

If I had to come up w/ a rough potency conversion, I would say that 6g wet is about as strong as 2-2.4g dry, max. 13g wet, IME, is close to eating 3.5g dry, and 22g wet is close to eating 8g dry. *results may vary

Maybe try a 2g dry dose and see if that feels close to the 6g fresh trip. But wait at least a week. After your trip the other night, you'll definitely have a tolerance to LSD and mushrooms.

As far as the serotonin receptor thing, that sounds like a misleading fact to me. It is probably true due to the physical length of the GI tract in tall v short people, and that our gut is lined w/ those receptors. But it may not be accurate to say that it impacts the dose... though I could be wrong.
  • Micogi likes this

#18 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:39 PM

I mean certain things definitely up-regulate and down-regulate receptors. Food in gut. etc.

You are correct. Gut size does not impact psilocybin dose.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC8056712/

"These results suggest that the convenience and lower cost of administering psilocybin as a fixed dose outweigh any potential advantage of weight-adjusted dosing."

Edited by rockyfungus, 18 November 2021 - 11:45 PM.

• HrVanker and Micogi like this

#19 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 09:32 PM

Well, I can certainly say I'm glad I decided to halve my dried fruits instead of chowing it all!

Thanks, guys, evidently I hadn't been as clear as I'd thought on dry vs fresh.

I think my next journey I will halve again. Not that I'm against such a trip again, but I'd prefer warmer weather and an outdoor setting.

Edit: Crickey! Was just looking at the dose calculator RF linked, according to it I took just shy of a Level 5 dose!

Although I didn't adjust psilocybin or psilocin levels, I'm guessing preset is average.

Edited by Micogi, 19 November 2021 - 09:36 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!