Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Funny Fruiting - Florida Oyster (Pleurotus Florida)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:30 AM

This is Day 4 of my first fruiting.  Depending how you count.  And it's not me fruiting, it's my Florida Oysters, fruiting from an enlarged X in an all-in-one bag.  But as a cultivator, it certainly is my first.

Between fanning, and me mucking about changing things (opening lid to do so) and the automated humidifier, I believe there's plenty of FAE.  However I will admit noting an aroma I do not like.   Today I removed everything, rinsed and drained the Perlite (which did not smell), and swabbed it all down with 70%, and even upon putting it back together the "aroma" persisted.  Is it the smell of the mushrooms growing?  

At any rate, I wonder if these mushrooms are growing "funny".  They don't look like oysters "should".    

Florida Oyster 02Nov21.jpg

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,348 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2021 - 10:22 AM

Based on the way the mushroom is forming there's no where near enough FAE (too much CO2, instead of not enough FAE?? Always assumed they were tied together). Granted I have yet to grow "blues"  (?). They are known to be very picky. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 03 November 2021 - 10:24 AM.

#3 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

I was suspecting that.  Without a CO2 gauge (and I noticed no one mentions using them) one's "test" for proper FAE is the mushrooms themselves.  In this case, I did add another 2" hole with stick-on filter yesterday when I cleaned the tub.  This makes two 2" holes, the lid is loose (evidenced by fog escaping from it when the humidifier is on).  I suspect I'll end up with a full-on SGFC, but ... I didn't set out on this mission to grow oysters (my woods are full of angel wings, and good ones too, that are like the best oysters) although I did order some Blue Oysters as an experiment, and newer plans to try King Oysters (specifically grown with low FAE to encourage thick stems) .... but these are Florida Oysters, (sent to me by mistake) and it's interesting that there is not a lot of info about them.

I don't mind stemmy oysters if they are not woody.  But I suppose there is not a way to "fix" these ones ... just try to get more FAE for the next flush, right?

Thanks!

#4 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,348 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2021 - 03:57 PM

They look like oysters didn't know there was a Florida one. No other state has it, but ya know Florida. 

Just gotta dial it in. 

• Mizamook likes this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:27 PM

That looks like a Blue Oyster NO Doubt!  Very Picky and in my opinion,

NOT the tastiest.  They have elongated Tubers and Need SO much Air.

P1090248.JPG

Baby Version

• Mizamook likes this

#6 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:25 PM

I started fanning the lid when I walk by, and also leave it offset a couple inches.  This makes the humidifier rig kick on more (have it set so it's maintaining about 94-96% RH)

Still not great but definitely a noticeable improvement in shape. 

Wondering whether to start harvesting ...

Florida Oyster 04Nov21.jpg

• MushLuvR likes this

#7 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:33 PM

Oh .. I see.  Yes, indeed, I wonder if it is simply a nomenclature thing.  Could easily be!  (On the syringe it just said "Florida Oyster")

And yes, they are showing to be agreeable to more air than I expected.

It will be interesting, as I do have a syringe of Blue Oysters, which, on the syringe, says "var. columbinis".  Will the variety (from a different seller) be different than the "Florida" oysters I have here?  Time will tell.  Not much time either, as I inoculated 4 1/2 pint jars with it, and it's colonising nicely in all four.

I'll report back soonish about the taste of these.

That looks like a Blue Oyster NO Doubt!  Very Picky and in my opinion,

NOT the tastiest.  They have elongated Tubers and Need SO much Air.

Edited by Mizamook, 04 November 2021 - 10:34 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#8 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:00 AM

They look MUSH better now and this is how they will look when finished. One Day later... these babies MOVE quickly.

P1090278.JPG

And finished up 2 days later from Pic Above, Blues are 

Fast fruiters.

P1090318.JPG

P1090319.JPG

P1090321.JPG

P1090324.JPG

They won't finish bluish grey, but they can and DO

get big.  

Edited by MushLuvR, 05 November 2021 - 10:01 AM.

• Arathu and Mizamook like this

#9 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:44 PM

Hiya, yep, these seem mush like yours.  Boy they really squirted up last 24 hours.  I already raised the lid of the tub, both for room to grow and for aeration, and look what happened!

Florida_blue_Oysters in tub 05Nov21.jpg

I figure the withered brown things are aborts?  

Florida_blue_Oysters 05Nov21.jpg

Harvested about 15oz.  Left several babies on there. If they keep growing I'll get them later.   Then try for another fruiting from the other end of the bag.  Not expecting as much.  The entire bag's contents seems much smaller. 

Florida _Blue_Oysters Harvest 1 05Nov21.jpg

Anyway, get to sizzle some up tonight and see how they taste!

• MushLuvR likes this

#10 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:16 PM

Oysters in Humid Profile_1.3.1.jpg

One more gratuitous shot, this from video before harvest with the humid vapours wafting about.  

• MushLuvR likes this

#11 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:14 AM

Very Nice, and yes you are correct, you have a few aborts, part of the learning process but Congrats on the Food, there is just something about eating your own Work that makes it's WAY more enjoyable.  I have some Pink Oysters on the way, CAN'T WAIT!!

• Mizamook likes this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,348 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:37 AM

Aborts make great powdered umami...

• MushLuvR and Mizamook like this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,483 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:53 PM

Best hobby EVER! :biggrin:  It's so cool to see all the different grows and beautiful mushrooms!

Indeed oysters require serious air and the spore load can be crazy too...very much worth paying attention to IME.....

Reishi will make mud in your tent......

A

#14 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:23 AM

Thank you ... glad I correctly identified the aborts.  Not surprised, actually, but not bummed, either.  They were very good (but not as great as some oysters I've had, or indeed the Angel Wings from outside) but I did like how they were meaty texture and flavour in the ramen .. mmm.  

Ended up with just shy of 1.25 lbs from that flush.  Expecting far less from the next one(s) but OK with that too.

Very Nice, and yes you are correct, you have a few aborts, part of the learning process but Congrats on the Food, there is just something about eating your own Work that makes it's WAY more enjoyable.  I have some Pink Oysters on the way, CAN'T WAIT!!

#15 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:25 AM

Well OH DAMN!

I love mushroom umami powder.  Recently ran out of some I made from a massive amount of b. edulis tubes.  Dried and powdered was great magic addition to ramens and soups, etc.

I'll remember this next time BEFORE I compost my aborts.  : )

Aborts make great powdered umami...

#16 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:29 AM

Indeed .. it's a fun adventure just starting for me.  Definitely an adventure ..  so cool to join in the fun, and have so many enthusiastic pioneers and experts and enthusiasts to follow timidly .. 

I think I harvested before these sporulated much.  

Big question/clarification request regarding the comment "Reishi  ]will make mud in your tent ..."  What meanest thou?

Best hobby EVER! :biggrin:  It's so cool to see all the different grows and beautiful mushrooms!

Indeed oysters require serious air and the spore load can be crazy too...very much worth paying attention to IME.....

Reishi will make mud in your tent......

A

• MushLuvR likes this

#17 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,348 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2021 - 08:59 AM

Brown spores then can coat a room if you don't catch it early. (assuming)

#18 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 02:12 AM

Oh!  OK, that bad then.  Good to know and thanks for the heads up!

Brown spores then can coat a room if you don't catch it early. (assuming)

• MushLuvR likes this

#19 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:04 PM

Oh, and just to clarify, I didn't mean Blue Oysters taste bad or anything(Still an Oyster), just isn't my favorite that's all.  Kings are well... KING!   :tongue:

You did well with some beautiful fruits and should be proud of your work.  Congrats!

Edited by MushLuvR, 21 November 2021 - 12:04 PM.

• Mizamook likes this

#20 Mizamook

Mizamook

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:55 AM

Thanks!  I got a few more decent fruits yesterday, and today I trimmed the aborts and excess mycelium off the edges of the block (it had burst through the taped-up section from the first fruiting), and stuck the block in a bag downstairs in lower temps for a few days/week.  Then I will soak and remove the entire bag, put the block back in FC and see what happens.

In the meantime my PF tek style Blue oysters have moved from multiple pinset groups to proper babies .. might even have some by Thursday.  

Oh, and just to clarify, I didn't mean Blue Oysters taste bad or anything(Still an Oyster), just isn't my favorite that's all.  Kings are well... KING!   :tongue:

You did well with some beautiful fruits and should be proud of your work.  Congrats!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!