Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

johnson-su bioreactor style setup for growing mushrooms.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:35 AM

Do you guys think it would be worth while to attempt to build one if those johnson-su bioreactors, but with pasturized straw or wood chips to grow something like oysters or wine caps.

https://www.csuchico...tructions.shtml

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:05 AM

If I'm reading the article correctly:

"You don't want the material to fall apart before compost maturity which takes one year."

One year for finished compost? That setup will be lingering around for quite some time. You'll likely need several since that barrel doesn't look like it will hold one years' worth of mushroom compost.

I also don't see an easy way to rake out the compost once it's finished. I'm guessing you just tip the barrel onto its side.

If you're looking for a bulk substrate for outdoors...

I recommend straw bales. They work like a champ.

Edited by Myc, 07 November 2021 - 11:06 AM.

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#3 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:03 PM

Its not a barrel. Its hog wire molded into a circle with hardware cloth surrounding it. I would use something like straw or wood chips. I would omit the tubes and just layer wood chips, straw, and mycellium. I guess the best way to put it is i would create a vertical mushroom tower and after full colonization I would remove the hardware cloth for fruiting.

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

That could work.

I used some rancher fencing which has a tighter "mesh" than hog wire. Used one tube running down the center - same principal as demonstrated in the photos. My efforts failed but you may succeed.

It certainly looks like fun to build and test.

#5 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 01:50 PM

That could work.
I used some rancher fencing which has a tighter "mesh" than hog wire. Used one tube running down the center - same principal as demonstrated in the photos. My efforts failed but you may succeed.
It certainly looks like fun to build and test.

Why do you think yours failed?

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:52 AM

I live in a desert region. Moisture regulation was a problem for me.

There are also some powerful outdoor competitors around here that tend to eat woodlover spawn before it can fruit.

I imagine the project would work with something like Pleuroteus since they're so fast. I found that straw bales work very well in my location and they seemed to be less effort - but that really doesn't help with your goals of raising woodlovers.

#7 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:32 PM

Yeah the staw bales look pretty straight forward. I need to get a couple more grows/fruits under my belt first.

Also just started assembling my laminar flow box parts. The SAB got on my nerves while trying to do grain to bulk bag transfers.

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:27 AM

That laminar workstation will up your game by light years. Congratulations on the new tool.

• Arathu likes this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:35 PM

Just got new parts for another one/two.....hahahaha.....Blowers and VARIAC's.......

I'm even planning a mobile unit for when I'm way out in the boonies......

Living in the stream......

That bio-reactor is pretty cool.....I'm intrigued......

A

• Myc likes this

#10 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:59 PM

Main parts just arrived. My besty is cabinet maker so we gonna join forces on this one. Super excited! Told the wife it was to help with her allergies. Maybe i can keep it on the dinning room table now!fa87561ba522af7135773e279ea0c30f.jpg

• Myc and Needles like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!