• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:35 AM

Can I use a substrate with the CVG method and add some manure to it? Will that help the substrate and the grow along better than just plain CVG?

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:07 PM

CVG is the easiest sub and the most forgiving.  You literally can hydrate and spawn, if you add manure... Proper Pasteurization will be required.  

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#3 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

CVG is the easiest sub and the most forgiving. You literally can hydrate and spawn, if you add manure... Proper Pasteurization will be required.

Meaning, mix 1lb manure to 3lb cvg and set them together in a PC? Is this possible?

#4 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:48 PM

CVG can get you to the end result without anything else added, if you want to add some manure then you can. Adding some Calcium Carbonate/Limestone can bump your PH up a bit to make your substrate less ideal for mold growth. Letting your substrate rest for a few days to a week or so after pasteurization allows the good bacteria to bounce back, and if any molds survived the pasteurization you will likely notice in that time frame and can dispose of the bad sub before it affects the rest of your grow.

CVG is the easiest sub and the most forgiving. You literally can hydrate and spawn, if you add manure... Proper Pasteurization will be required.

Meaning, mix 1lb manure to 3lb cvg and set them together in a PC? Is this possible?

You can mix however much manure to however much coir that you desire. I load my substrate mix in quart jars and give them a "hot water bath" in the bottom half of my pressure cooker without the lid on for 3 hours. I also have a Hamilton Beach slow cooker that I have dedicated to pasteurization. I load that up and leave it on 'Keep Warm' for 15~24 hours. I wouldn't load my PC with substrate without it being in temperature resistant bags, or glass jars personally.

• coorsmikey, wharfrat, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#5 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:53 PM

CVG can get you to the end result without anything else added, if you want to add some manure then you can. Adding some Calcium Carbonate/Limestone can bump your PH up a bit to make your substrate less ideal for mold growth. Letting your substrate rest for a few days to a week or so after pasteurization allows the good bacteria to bounce back, and if any molds survived the pasteurization you will likely notice in that time frame and can dispose of the bad sub before it affects the rest of your grow.

You can mix however much manure to however much coir that you desire. I load my substrate mix in quart jars and give them a "hot water bath" in the bottom half of my pressure cooker without the lid on for 3 hours. I also have a Hamilton Beach slow cooker that I have dedicated to pasteurization. I load that up and leave it on 'Keep Warm' for 15~24 hours. I wouldn't load my PC with substrate without it being in temperature resistant bags, or glass jars personally.
I was just thinking about the make up of dino soil that everyone is raging about. It has turtle shit and worm castings. I've found some grade A horse manure thats full of nitrogen and I just thought I could do a 1:2ratio 1 being the manure and 2 being cvg.

#6 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 03:04 PM

With proper hydration to field capacity and pasteurization, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I have seen some mention using Buffalo dung or even Alpaca dung. I ran a batch of CVG with Straw and Bat Guano, about 1 cup of guano to 2 gallons of CVG but I didn't get around to spawning anything to it because I needed to prioritize some other stuff going on at the time. One of the jars developed slime mold after a week of sitting that seemed to start from a piece of straw so I'm kind of glad I didn't spawn them.

Edited by Salty117, 07 November 2021 - 03:04 PM.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:20 PM

i get  free  donkey poo amd  stable bedding for free then i compost it for awhile , before i use in garden or mycology .

Also free  already composted cow poo . both from a hobby farm ,

The local Tractor supply has bails or bags of already chopped up  clean wheat  straw / not hay .

a farmer friend offered  to give me as much soybean hulls for free but i procrastinated  driving over when they were combining beans . i imagine  mushrooms like oysters or wood lovers would like  soybean hulls .

I can get  large rough  oak sawdust  and oak chips scraps from a sheltered workshop that makes precision grade stakes .

FREE IS GOOD !

Just ask around  go have coffee were the farmers hang out make some friends .

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 07 November 2021 - 04:22 PM.

• Arathu and xXHeathenXx like this

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,063 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:27 PM

The secret to substrates is fluffy and not too wet.....beyond that you might be surprised how many different substrate mushrooms will fruit from....

Rule of thumb, as soon as you start enriching things, like adding manure, pasteurization and sterilization start coming into play..... 

A

• Salty117, rockyfungus and xXHeathenXx like this

#9 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:29 PM

With proper hydration to field capacity and pasteurization, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I have seen some mention using Buffalo dung or even Alpaca dung. I ran a batch of CVG with Straw and Bat Guano, about 1 cup of guano to 2 gallons of CVG but I didn't get around to spawning anything to it because I needed to prioritize some other stuff going on at the time. One of the jars developed slime mold after a week of sitting that seemed to start from a piece of straw so I'm kind of glad I didn't spawn them.

Ya definitely brudda. Woulda been a mess. I just wanna add some shit because apparently they do manure. I would pasteurize the whole fruiting substrate together w the manure. This way I know it's good. I could put that mixture in a PC couldn't I?

#10 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:30 PM

The secret to substrates is fluffy and not too wet.....beyond that you might be surprised how many different substrate mushrooms will fruit from....

Rule of thumb, as soon as you start enriching things, like adding manure, pasteurization and sterilization start coming into play.....

A

Couldn't I just put the mixture together in a bag inside my PC?

#11 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:42 PM

Ya definitely brudda. Woulda been a mess. I just wanna add some shit because apparently they do manure. I would pasteurize the whole fruiting substrate together w the manure. This way I know it's good. I could put that mixture in a PC couldn't I?

I don't see why not, the bottom half of my PC is the largest in circumference "pot" that I have so that's why I use the bottom half with the lid off to boil the jars in. I usually need to fill it a couple times before pasteurization is done with but considering glass is an insulator, the temp inside the jars doesn't normally fall below pasteurization temp before the water gets back up to a low boil. I think that some have gone the sterilizing substrate in PP5 containers route for some dung-loving Panaeolus but that department is where my experience ends.. for now.

Edited by Salty117, 07 November 2021 - 04:42 PM.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#12 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:44 PM

i get free donkey poo amd stable bedding for free then i compost it for awhile , before i use in garden or mycology .
Also free already composted cow poo . both from a hobby farm ,

The local Tractor supply has bails or bags of already chopped up clean wheat straw / not hay .

a farmer friend offered to give me as much soybean hulls for free but i procrastinated driving over when they were combining beans . i imagine mushrooms like oysters or wood lovers would like soybean hulls .

I can get large rough oak sawdust and oak chips scraps from a sheltered workshop that makes precision grade stakes .

FREE IS GOOD !
Just ask around go have coffee were the farmers hang out make some friends .
BEZ

I was actually just going to buy some of this golden shit that's already pasteurized and in a sealed bag. So I could put my cvg mix in and add the amount of manure(I don't think it'll need much to have benefits) then PC the whole mix together

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 05:53 PM

i also posted these  links on your other post

HERE ARE CPL links for threads on pasturization

https://mycotopia.ne.../?hl=+oven +tek

https://mycotopia.ne...2?hl= oven tek

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#14 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:45 PM

I don't see why not, the bottom half of my PC is the largest in circumference "pot" that I have so that's why I use the bottom half with the lid off to boil the jars in. I usually need to fill it a couple times before pasteurization is done with but considering glass is an insulator, the temp inside the jars doesn't normally fall below pasteurization temp before the water gets back up to a low boil. I think that some have gone the sterilizing substrate in PP5 containers route for some dung-loving Panaeolus but that department is where my experience ends.. for now.
Awesome. I really wanna grow some happy truffles. I want to swab them and pe trying to make a hybrid truffle that grows up out of the substrate lol. Ive got so many ideas. I need more knowledge so that I can put it to use. Innovation is my shit. I love making things better no matter what the case.

#15 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:47 PM

i also posted these links on your other post

HERE ARE CPL links for threads on pasturization

https://mycotopia.ne.../?hl=+oven +tek

https://mycotopia.ne...2?hl= oven tek

Oven pasteurization? I've seen that on the 90 sec mycology channel of YouTube! There's the bucket method as well for pasteurization. I wonder which works best, the oven w the oven bags or the foil pan, the bucket method, or the PC method

#16 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:50 PM

Hey brudda, whatcha think about that? Is this mycelium or cob web stuff? 20211106_135810.jpg 20211106_135831.jpg 20211101_143058.jpg
  • Salty117 likes this

#17 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:11 PM

I'm not too sure about what exactly is going on in the Burma plate, but the PE plate looks like it could have some good mycelium cultures starting. I just got my agar journey started this year so I'm still learning myself, but I would think that getting those cultures transferred before they lay over each other should help isolating in fewer transfers.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#18 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:27 PM

All looks like trich to me. Time will tell (impossible to tell from pics).

Ideally you don't want anything growing off the corner of the plates. You should have nice growth from center. 

Manure isn't necessary at all. It doesn't really increase potency or size of mushrooms. If it's free and easily available your dumb not to use it.
BUT and HUGE BUT, if it's free use it! CVG is forgiving and you can do a horrible job and get fruits. Manure will fuck you faster then you even realize.
I wouldn't mess with manure at all till you can get some decent work done with CVG. Manure is only necesary for PANS.

Edited by rockyfungus, 07 November 2021 - 07:28 PM.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#19 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:47 AM

All looks like trich to me. Time will tell (impossible to tell from pics).
Ideally you don't want anything growing off the corner of the plates. You should have nice growth from center.

Manure isn't necessary at all. It doesn't really increase potency or size of mushrooms. If it's free and easily available your dumb not to use it.
BUT and HUGE BUT, if it's free use it! CVG is forgiving and you can do a horrible job and get fruits. Manure will fuck you faster then you even realize.
I wouldn't mess with manure at all till you can get some decent work done with CVG. Manure is only necesary for PANS.

I want to grow pan's and other of the really potent species.
What is trich? It's probably a stupid question for me to ask in this forum, sorry.

#20 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:48 AM

I'm not too sure about what exactly is going on in the Burma plate, but the PE plate looks like it could have some good mycelium cultures starting. I just got my agar journey started this year so I'm still learning myself, but I would think that getting those cultures transferred before they lay over each other should help isolating in fewer transfers.

By transfer you mean to take the good spots in the p envy and put them into another agar dish?
  • Salty117 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!