42 replies to this topic

#21 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 04:49 PM

Don't forget the stir bars!

If I need another one then I can order a pack for 8 bucks. I have nearly Everything one could need to grow gourmet and then some. I have some "Wants" on the want list like a flow hood and a 22Qt pressure canner. One more on the need list to get and it's that inkbird hydrometer. If I'm running 4 tubs though idk how I can split it to 4. There's only 1 probe. I plan on stacking them on top of each other... maybe I can run the tube from the humidifier through all 4 w a cap on the end and go with the probe in the middle tub.... idk . Yall are the pros lol. Whatcha think

#22 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:06 PM

Right. No agar powder. You would have lumpy cottage cheese LC.

But you can use the malt extract instead of corn syrup. That would work.

Ya I was looking into the elme extra light malt extract. But I don't reckon that would work for making an LC. Just trying to experiment and as always try to make an easier, more efficient method.

I posted pictures of the extra light malt extract recipe I use.. actively in the process of colonizing... admittedly it helps having a magnetic stir plate/bar to mix it up because it has a tendency to clump up but I just get my water kettle screamin' hot before I pour it in with my dry ingredients and it dissolves very quickly. The syrup will probably mix easier without a magnetic stir plate/bar.
Hey, I dropped some pics below. 1) Will that lme work?
2) what's that myco+ stuff and can I use it?
3) would you take a couple pieces of those agar to inoculate a spawn substrate?
Sorry for 10k questions. I am about to get under way. Waiting for the jars & grain to cool. I'm either going to use a couple chunks of that agar or mss. I'd really like to try the agar to popcorn grain. Screenshot_20211108-174717_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20211108-171737_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20211108-171745_Amazon Shopping.jpg 20211108_104651.jpg 20211108_104601.jpg

#23 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:12 PM

That LME should work just as good as ELME. I could be wrong about that Myco+.. but I think that's for helping plant root growth? Mycelium doesn't have roots, it has Hypha/Hyphae which are the filaments of mycelium that branch out in search for food.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#24 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:05 PM

That LME should work just as good as ELME. I could be wrong about that Myco+.. but I think that's for helping plant root growth? Mycelium doesn't have roots, it has Hypha/Hyphae which are the filaments of mycelium that branch out in search for food.

Ok. Is there something better than that lme? Do you have a suggestion? I'll get it from Amazonian right away

#25 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,360 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:18 PM

You could also look into GLC which works nicely and liquid agar is another great trick. With LA, you take clean, colonized agar, inject sterile water, use the needle tip to scrape the mycelium from the agar and suck the solution up. What is nice about this is you can be absolutely sure your mycelium is clean.

Good luck!
  • Salty117, MushLuvR and xXHeathenXx like this

#26 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:20 PM

If there's any merit to the claim that grain-based sugars reduce the recovery period between inoculating grains and visible growth then I would consider Malt Extract/Light Malt Extract/Extra Light Malt Extract to be the superior sugars to use in a liquid culture. Not trying to say that corn syrup or karo syrup or honey doesn't work or isn't effective because those options will work as well but in my opinion it just makes sense to go with something that has a potentially added benefit of reducing colonization time by a few days.

Also malt extract/LME/ELME will tinge the color of the LC a slight beige. If you like the "clean and clear" look like OldPunk then corn/karo syrup are going to be the way you'll want to go.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#27 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:48 PM

If there's any merit to the claim that grain-based sugars reduce the recovery period between inoculating grains and visible growth then I would consider Malt Extract/Light Malt Extract/Extra Light Malt Extract to be the superior sugars to use in a liquid culture. Not trying to say that corn syrup or karo syrup or honey doesn't work or isn't effective because those options will work as well but in my opinion it just makes sense to go with something that has a potentially added benefit of reducing colonization time by a few days.

Also malt extract/LME/ELME will tinge the color of the LC a slight beige. If you like the "clean and clear" look like OldPunk then corn/karo syrup are going to be the way you'll want to go.

I'm trying to find black agar mix on Amazon and I'm not having any luck

#28 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:23 PM

"Black Agar" can be attained by addiing Activated Charcoal to the mix. I got a 2lb bag of it on the 'Zon like 5 months ago and I've barely made a dent in it haha. 1g of Activated Charcoal to an agar recipe calling for 500ml of water is more than adequate. I have been thinking of cutting that back to a half gram of activated charcoal because it seems to make a sort of foam on the surface of the agar mixture that can be a pain in the butt to settle.. but it is otherwise a very good additive. 

#29 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:52 AM

"Black Agar" can be attained by addiing Activated Charcoal to the mix. I got a 2lb bag of it on the 'Zon like 5 months ago and I've barely made a dent in it haha. 1g of Activated Charcoal to an agar recipe calling for 500ml of water is more than adequate. I have been thinking of cutting that back to a half gram of activated charcoal because it seems to make a sort of foam on the surface of the agar mixture that can be a pain in the butt to settle.. but it is otherwise a very good additive.

I wound up finding the right agar. I think.... lolScreenshot_20211108-190934_Amazon Shopping.jpg

#30 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

You could also look into GLC which works nicely and liquid agar is another great trick. With LA, you take clean, colonized agar, inject sterile water, use the needle tip to scrape the mycelium from the agar and suck the solution up. What is nice about this is you can be absolutely sure your mycelium is clean.

Good luck!

What's GLC?

#31 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,867 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:31 AM

That "Extra Light Malt Extract" will work quite will in an agar or liquid culture recipe. But it's not agar by itself.

It's starting to seem like you're missing a few things.

Perhaps it would help if you stop and focus on one subject. The title of the thread has to do with making a liquid culture. Maybe focus on that one subject so we can try to help.

From what I'm reading from the suggestions and your replies - it seems you're not quite getting the difference between agar and liquid culture. It also seems like you're skipping over the information provided in the replies based upon your continued confusion.

The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets is well worth your time and money. An excellent book that goes a long way toward explaining myco-culture and laboratory technique.

Edited by Myc, 09 November 2021 - 09:40 AM.

• coorsmikey, Salty117, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#32 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:26 AM

Myco+ is for mycorrhizae. Or if you garden, it introduces soil fungus that can help plants grow healthier. 

All you need is one nutrient source and any source of agar. Agar is a seaweed based gelatin. It's fucking jello. Jello is not nutritious so we add malt or grain water, or syrup/honey (most don't like straight sugar). 

If you can't grasp this. PF TEK...

• Myc and Salty117 like this

#33 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:10 AM

Myco+ is for mycorrhizae. Or if you garden, it introduces soil fungus that can help plants grow healthier.

All you need is one nutrient source and any source of agar. Agar is a seaweed based gelatin. It's fucking jello. Jello is not nutritious so we add malt or grain water, or syrup/honey (most don't like straight sugar).

If you can't grasp this. PF TEK...

I didn't buy that myco +. I got elme and malt agar

#34 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:45 PM

Malt agar? Got a link. Don’t need malt extract then.
  • Myc likes this

#35 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 02:54 PM

You are SO bad Richard... I mean @Rockyfungus :laugh: ... Killing me Sir(enjoyed the laugh). :weedpoke:

Edited by MushLuvR, 09 November 2021 - 02:54 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#36 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:06 PM

Hey don't PF teck shame me :ohmy:

Rice to bulk sub, that's all the skills I got :chucks:

• Salty117 and Oldpunk like this

#37 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,089 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:56 PM

No pf tek shame, it's one of our most valuable tools IMHO. All you need is one cheap grain and coir. Agar to make anything with that grain water...

Edited by rockyfungus, 09 November 2021 - 05:56 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and xXHeathenXx like this

#38 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:20 PM

Hey don't PF teck shame me :ohmy:

Rice to bulk sub, that's all the skills I got :chucks:

Lemme ask a stupid question. C'mon , I'm new here
What does that acronym stand for? PF Tek.....

#39 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:35 PM

BRF lol.

Psilocybe Fananticus Tek

Edit: Someone please insert  the link to Magic Of the Masses here.

Edited by coorsmikey, 09 November 2021 - 09:40 PM.

• Salty117, FLASHINGROOSTER and MushLuvR like this

#40 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2021 - 03:01 PM

So a cpl people have tried to  enplane the difference between LC  and agar plates .?.....................

Do you now understand they are two different things  ? ......

For two different  mycology activity's? .. 

Or  are you still  confused  that they are different variations of same thing ?

They Are Not

LC is a LIQUID CULTURE is clean  inoculated water with added nutrients  That  you use to  inoculate grain with  etc 

Agar is LIKE JELLO with nutrients added you  grow mycelium on .to isolate  and  clean the  mycelium culture . so buy transferring a clean  /wedge of mycelium growing on the agar  ... to another plate several times tell you produce a agar plate free of mold or  bacteria . then you can use a bit of this cleaned up agar to directly inoculate grain or a small wedge to inoculate your LC with to expand out and use the LC  to inoculate your grain jars .  OK have i confused you or does that make since ?

Because  you really seem to need to  figure out and understand  the difference .. .

NOW BACK TO BASICS  if i were you ........i would take a Big Step Back ..........just for awhile ......and do the best beginner tek ...PF tek or BRF  cakes .

Definitions... PF    stands for Professor Phanaticus .. a guy who figured out a simple almost  FOOL  proof simple beginner tek . PF Tek

using BRF cakes..........BRF = Brown Rice Flower cakes ....

Now  if you  follow the link to  get YOUR ...FREE ...PDF Down Load Book 

READ IT a Few Times  .........AND   this is Important .....

Resist ...Your Mad Scientist Urges  FOLLOW IT TO A   "T" No substitutions  ..no experiments . just follow tek exactly . 

You will have simple success .

Now   go to the Magic For the masses thread .  and on the First Post is a Link for a FREE  PDF Book on PF Tek

.i will post link below  Same one mikey posted .

Again Follow it To a  "T"

After a few  PF BRF cake success's   Then you gradually  expand out to more advanced .  stuff 

the PF experiences will teach you a lot that will help you understand the more advance stuff you desire  .   BEZ

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

• Myc, Salty117, Jinroh and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!