• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:35 PM

This has a steam setting I think I can use for sterilizing substrate, LC, jars, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will it be safe for doing all I need to do to achieve the goals of happy fruits or inoculation mediums?20211107_142925.jpg Screenshot_20211107-142808_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20211107-142858_Drive.jpg

#2 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 03:22 PM

This may help: https://mycotopia.ne...ed-by-research/

• Salty117 likes this

#3 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:24 PM

Did you want to sterilize sub-straight or  Pasteurize  sub-straight ?

#4 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:50 PM

Maybe it is up to debate depending on who you ask, but in most cases it seems most ideal to pasteurize the substrate rather than sterilizing. This is to retain good, non-threatening bacteria to help prevent undesired molds to thrive in the substrate. in my slow cooker dedicated to pasteurizing, leaving it on the 'Keep Warm' setting maintains around 170~172 degrees. I like using it because it's more convenient than a hot water bath on the stove where I have to monitor the temp and kick the flame on and off to maintain good pasteurization range.. very A.D.D. proof which is what I need lmao.

• Arathu likes this

#5 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2021 - 05:51 PM

HERE ARE CPL links for threads on pasturization

https://mycotopia.ne.../?hl=+oven +tek

https://mycotopia.ne...2?hl= oven tek

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,587 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:21 AM

It looks like it could work. Seems it has a "slow xook" function function thats probably fine for pasteurization.
  • Salty117 likes this

#7 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:42 AM

So I have a nock off instapot. I did a round of agar jars in it and it seems to have done the trick. I ran a double cycle on the highest PC setting it had. I have not tried any grain spawn in it as it wont hold much and I purchased a 220v electric burner for my PC which I run in the garage which is almost as easy as the instapot.

I think if your in a pinch the instapot would probably be ok, but the Presto 01781 is about the best bang for the buck IMO. I fortunately had both before I got into the hobby. When it has come to bulk sub I use the method here, but with a Still Air Box for the transfer. Its a little cramped in my box, but it works. 

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#8 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:58 AM

Did you want to sterilize sub-straight or Pasteurize sub-straight ?

Both. Along w LC, jars w/ popcorn. It reaches 12 psi so maybe I'd just need to run it for an extra hour.... just until I can get a decent 20QT Pressure Canner

#9 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 11:07 AM

Maybe it is up to debate depending on who you ask, but in most cases it seems most ideal to pasteurize the substrate rather than sterilizing. This is to retain good, non-threatening bacteria to help prevent undesired molds to thrive in the substrate. in my slow cooker dedicated to pasteurizing, leaving it on the 'Keep Warm' setting maintains around 170~172 degrees. I like using it because it's more convenient than a hot water bath on the stove where I have to monitor the temp and kick the flame on and off to maintain good pasteurization range.. very A.D.D. proof which is what I need lmao.

Lol I heard that man! Lmao.

#10 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

Lol I heard that man! Lmao.
I've hydrated popcorn and now it's in a couple jars in the digital pc w the metal lids upside-down and foil over the tops. 20min in the digital pc and the popcorn grains were perfectly hydrated just like I see in all the YouTube vids. Hoping the Jars come out well sterilized. I think I am inoculating w pe spores maybe Burma or Columbian. Haven't decided yet. I only did 2 - 1 pint jars. I really wanted to try taking some of the mycelium growth in the agar trays. They aren't fully colonized. The spotty one is the pe and the big growth is the Burma. Would it be ok to cut a few chunks and toss them in the popcorn?20211108_114138.jpg 20211108_114142.jpg 20211108_104651.jpg 20211108_104601.jpg

#11 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:51 PM

Anyone think I can use a couple chunks of either to do an agar to grain inoculation?20211108_104651.jpg 20211108_104549.jpg

#12 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 714 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:19 PM

You certainly could. Got more of the spores?

If not transfer a little to new agar before you put it in the jar. Or start an LC with a piece. In case the grow fails you still got the genetics.
  • Salty117 likes this

#13 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:27 PM

You could inoculate with some of those samples, but it might be more fruitful in the long run to wait a little bit and do some transfers and let those grow out on the other plates and then use those. You will have more spawned cultures to work with and inoculate more jars with, and probably see more consistent and stable results when you get there.

#14 pr0wlunwoof

pr0wlunwoof

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:55 PM

Both. Along w LC, jars w/ popcorn. It reaches 12 psi so maybe I'd just need to run it for an extra hour.... just until I can get a decent 20QT Pressure Canner
You might want to look at whole grains like oats or rye to make the spawn. Its typically allot cheaper and easier to hydrate.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
  • xXHeathenXx likes this

#15 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:02 PM

You might want to look at whole grains like oats or rye to make the spawn. Its typically allot cheaper and easier to hydrate.

The popcorn hydrated perfectly
It lasts longer than brown rice too. But, I will be getting some rye berry and some grow bags. I am going to try a few different mediums and figure out which works best for certain things. I have hundreds of ideas and experimental thoughts to test.

Would you take a chunk of either of those agar in the pic and inoculate a grain jar? The Burma is the fat mycelium, (I think it's mycelium) the P envy is spotty. Could either of them be ready to put to another agar or straight into the substrate?20211108_104651.jpg 20211108_104601.jpg

#16 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:05 PM

I will get rye berries and try that. I want to mix and match many things. I just got the show on the road on the 24th of Oct so Im newbie so far.20211103_124728.jpg

#17 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:21 PM

I will get rye berries and try that. I want to mix and match many things. I just got the show on the road on the 24th of Oct so Im newbie so far.attachicon.gif20211103_124728.jpg
Idk why the hell I sent my bp readings lol.

#18 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:22 PM

I will get rye berries and try that. I want to mix and match many things. I just got the show on the road on the 24th of Oct so Im newbie so far.attachicon.gif20211103_124728.jpg
Idk why the hell I sent my bp readings lol.
This is what I meant to share20211108_104651.jpg 20211108_104706.jpg 20211108_104601.jpg 20211108_114138.jpg

#19 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:54 AM

You certainly could. Got more of the spores?

If not transfer a little to new agar before you put it in the jar. Or start an LC with a piece. In case the grow fails you still got the genetics.

Thanks!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!