Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Help with syringe plunger being hard to push down?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:18 PM

I was super frustrated and annoyed yesterday when I tried to inoculate my pf tek jars.  In fact, I just gave up after shooting 5 cc of spores accidentally in one of the jars.  

I want to try again but am feeling very discouraged right now - it is very hard sometimes to push down on the syringe plunger just a little bit so only 0.25 to 0.50 cc of liquid comes out.  I try very lightly pushing but then my finger gets worn out and its nearly impossible.  Then I end up pushing harder and it squirts out almost half of my full liquid in the syringe.  

I use a 16 gauge 1.5 inch needle.  I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem?  And what's causing it or creative solutions to push down on the syringe plunger lightly to get a little liquid out?  

Edited by danielfly, 08 November 2021 - 01:18 PM.

• xXHeathenXx likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:31 PM

I was super frustrated and annoyed yesterday when I tried to inoculate my pf tek jars.  In fact, I just gave up after shooting 5 cc of spores accidentally in one of the jars.  

I want to try again but am feeling very discouraged right now - it is very hard sometimes to push down on the syringe plunger just a little bit so only 0.25 to 0.50 cc of liquid comes out.  I try very lightly pushing but then my finger gets worn out and its nearly impossible.  Then I end up pushing harder and it squirts out almost half of my full liquid in the syringe.  

I use a 16 gauge 1.5 inch needle.  I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem?  And what's causing it or creative solutions to push down on the syringe plunger lightly to get a little liquid out?  

I have had that happen with PC'd syringes.. have you PC'd them? are they used? unless the needle is plugged, 16g should be just fine. my guess is it's a bad

syringe. Swollen rubber etc..

Edited by wharfrat, 08 November 2021 - 01:32 PM.

• danielfly likes this

#3 surfer8210

surfer8210

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:33 PM

That’s a pretty large bore for it to be clogged.
Do you have an empty syringe?
If so, take a cup of boiling water and using the syringe and needle, pull from the cup of water a bunch of times until it clears enough for you to dose in small amounts.
You might have to do this frequently when inoculating or maybe never again.
Hopefully that all you need to do to rectify your situation.
It sounds like it’s just clogged.
Try to get it to act like a super soaker with the boiling water though.
Try alcohol also, if the water doesn’t work and then go back to the water after the alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • danielfly likes this

#4 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:11 PM

What do you think I can do if it is a bad syringe with swollen rubber?  

#5 surfer8210

surfer8210

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:17 PM

Transfer the contents to a new syringe.

• danielfly likes this

#6 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:18 PM

That's a good idea to transfer the contents to a new syringe - but won't that cause maybe some contamination getting through to the new syringe if I'm transferring it?

#7 surfer8210

surfer8210

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

If you do it quickly enough you should be fine.
It’s a sterile environment inside the syringe and if you open it briefly I’m not so sure that you would worry about contamination.
It’s not like you have many alternatives.

• danielfly likes this

#8 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:54 PM

Got it.  Its worth a try for me.  Thanks!

#9 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:09 PM

I was super frustrated and annoyed yesterday when I tried to inoculate my pf tek jars. In fact, I just gave up after shooting 5 cc of spores accidentally in one of the jars.

I want to try again but am feeling very discouraged right now - it is very hard sometimes to push down on the syringe plunger just a little bit so only 0.25 to 0.50 cc of liquid comes out. I try very lightly pushing but then my finger gets worn out and its nearly impossible. Then I end up pushing harder and it squirts out almost half of my full liquid in the syringe.

I use a 16 gauge 1.5 inch needle. I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem? And what's causing it or creative solutions to push down on the syringe plunger lightly to get a little liquid out?

I've taken the plunger completely out and lubed the rubber with cooking oil before and it worked great. Real easy slide and responsive to light pressure
  • danielfly and Micogi like this

#10 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:02 PM

Could maybe also put the syringe between your two middle fingers and the plunger against your palm. Provided your right handed, then kind of cup your left hand behind to add additional control/pressure.

I've done this using thicker glues in a syringe and worked well for me.

Being their pretty much one time use, and if you're using it all up, give it a shot.

• danielfly likes this

#11 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 714 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 06:25 PM

I've found that the clumped up spores in syringes clog the end sometimes when pointed down into jars. I tip them needle up and pull a tiny air bubble in to dislodge the blockage. All the clumped spores drop and it works good for a few more jars.

I've seen those clumps in almost All the vendor syringes. Not sure if they'd been sitting a while or what causes the clumping
  • danielfly likes this

#12 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:25 PM

I like everyone's suggestions!  Will give it a try for sure!

• xXHeathenXx likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!