• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:00 PM

So I may have some plans Friday and was thinking I'd bring some fresh treats with me.

I read in Magic for the Masses you can put them in a paper bag in the fridge for a few days.

Does this work for 3 - 4 days? Any suggestions on alternate short term storage?

As I pick it, I'll store it, up to a targeted amount. It'll be for two, maybe three, thinking 10 - 12g for each of us.

#2 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:18 PM

So I may have some plans Friday and was thinking I'd bring some fresh treats with me.
I read in Magic for the Masses you can put them in a paper bag in the fridge for a few days.

As I pick it, I'll store it, up to a targeted amount. It'll be for two, maybe three, thinking 10 - 12g for each of us.

I've heard of that technique. They sware by it and that's how they achieve "Cracker Dry"

#3 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 01:00 AM

Ya. It's a method for drying the but if they're already dried you can store them in any container. I put my dried in a ziplock bag with a piece of paper towel in w the
  • Micogi likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,127 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:30 AM

Yeah, that will work for several days.  Freshies are awesome, enjoy!

• MushLuvR and Micogi like this

#5 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, that will work for several days. Freshies are awesome, enjoy!

I couldn't agree more w ya man. There's some backwoods farms way back up in the cut and there's free range cows n shit. I love just rinsing them and Eating them fresh. Such a dif feeling than dried

#6 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:07 AM

I've heard of that technique. They sware by it and that's how they achieve "Cracker Dry"

Huh, I haven't heard this for drying, typically drying I've seen either a dehydrator or setting in front of a fan. I bought a dehydrator and have it running now on it's lowest heat setting, 95 degrees. Although with winter pretty much upon us, next batch I'll probably try the fan method due to dry air and less heat drying can't be bad.

Yeah, that will work for several days.  Freshies are awesome, enjoy!

Thanks, now to get some paper bags!

#7 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:10 AM

Huh, I haven't heard this for drying, typically drying I've seen either a dehydrator or setting in front of a fan. I bought a dehydrator and have it running now on it's lowest heat setting, 95 degrees. Although with winter pretty much upon us, next batch I'll probably try the fan method due to dry air and less heat drying can't be bad.

Yeah, that will work for several days. Freshies are awesome, enjoy!

Thanks, now to get some paper bags!
Paper bag slightly open in the fridge and about 3 days or so, dehydrated.

#8 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:21 AM

What's the point of the fridge if they are dehydrated?

• MushLuvR likes this

#9 xXHeathenXx

xXHeathenXx

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:10 AM

That's not what I meant. If they're wet, you can set them in a paper bag in the fridge and they will dehydrate

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:13 PM

Paper bags being hard to come by, layer them loosely with paper towels in an open plastic container.

#11 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

That's not what I meant. If they're wet, you can set them in a paper bag in the fridge and they will dehydrate

Unless this is your only means, I'd recommend other traditional methods. In the time it would take to dehydrate I'd think it would also be more prone to mold. And maybe refrigerator taste lol

I was only asking for pure short term storage of freshies.

Paper bags being hard to come by, layer them loosely with paper towels in an open plastic container.

WalMart, 50 or 100 paper lunch bags, $1.96. They also have them in white.

Edited by Micogi, 09 November 2021 - 12:23 PM.

• jkdeth likes this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:44 PM

Does a fridge really dehydrate mushrooms? Sounds physically impossible.

Sounds like a way to mold and taste like a fridge.

#13 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 01:18 PM

I've heard of dehydrating in the freezer I think, but was with meat I think, possibly chicken.

I may be mistaken, but there is a vague recollection with dehydrating and fridge/freezer.

Pretty sure it wasn't to do with mushrooms.

#14 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:59 PM

Dehydration in a fridge or freezer is definitely possible, but it depends on humidity (and atmospheric pressure to a degree). Where I live, if I don't use the ice in my freezer it evaporates surprisingly quickly. After a 4-6wks my ice trays are almost empty. And in my fridge, most things dry out before they start to mold, including strawberries and clementines.

A few days in the fridge w/ a paper bag is fine. I would make sure that the surface of the mushroom is dry first. You want the transpiration of the paper bag to try and prevent the mushroom from going fuzzy and eating itself.
  • rockyfungus likes this

#15 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:29 PM

Well, may not end up making a difference other than future reference. Growth has pretty much petered out, think environment is too dry. I'm trying to remedy that by essentially soaking the "ground", hopefully some growth comes back. 

What has grown is fairly small with veils breaking already, not sure if this is a sign of lack of moisture, but the mycelium looks to be pretty dry.

Whatever I pick in the meantime I'll put in my dehydrator and bring whatever with my, no matter the state of dehydration.

Being it's not a long term storage plan, I figure should be fine eating partially dehydrated. But dosing may be a little trickier lol

Edited by Micogi, 09 November 2021 - 06:34 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#16 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:20 PM

You definitely want to keep the RH up to keep them fruiting as long as possible. When you say "ground" are you referring to a substrate, or literal ground, like an outdoor patch?

If you end up w/ partially dehydrated shrooms, you can probably just dose them according to what the dry weight would be. For instance: you pick 35g wet, and dehydrate them to 17 or 18g, I'd pretend that they are between 3.5-4.5g dry shrooms. Psilocin oxidizes quickly, heat and airflow accelerate that process, [and I believe] the mushroom itself does after it's sat a bit.

You may end up with a slightly stronger trip than expected, but it shouldn't be anything ridiculously unexpected.
  • Micogi likes this

#17 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

Ha, yeah, "ground" is the, was the, contents from the grow bag. I was struggling keeping it moist and RH up, so I had been "bottomwatering" per a suggestion on another thread of mine. Maybe not enough or frequently enough. I gave it a good soaking this evening and also put a few holes and a fan on the FC for FAE.

Hopefully it'll recover, I've been looking a little and mycelium seems to be pretty resilient.

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it!

• HrVanker likes this

#18 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:43 PM

I forgot to say this in your grow-thread, but with cakes (which is basically what you're doing), you should dunk between flushes. Some do 12hrs, some dunk for 24, but it really hydrates the sub which is difficult to do w/ spraying. And an FC w/ standing water from spraying is not ideal.
  • Micogi and xXHeathenXx like this

#19 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, I'd replied in-between your replies but just remembered something. When I initially crumbled the bag down and spread it out, it wasn't very smooth or level on the top, so now soaked I wanted to try and level out the surface. This should help with keeping substrate moisture more even throughout.

Edit: Disregard. It doesn't tamp or pat down, unless I were to crumble it all up again it's pretty much what it is.

Although I did see a few new pins popping up, so despite not really being between flushes, I'm soaking the substrate again.

Edit 2: I'm not going to "dunk" for 24 hours being I have willy nilly growth, intermittent and sporadic, meaning still a few growing. I'll let it soak a bit tonight and probably let it drain before bed.

Edited by Micogi, 09 November 2021 - 07:56 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!