Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Harvesting shrooms before fully matures or after veil breaks? Since I work a lot and no time.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:30 PM

Hi everyone, 

I successfully harvested my first shrooms this past weekend which I'm very happy about and am going to do my next flush.  One thing that is difficult for me is that I work a lot - 2 jobs that total 14 hours per day.  

It is very hard for me to be there at the right time to harvest the shroom - I usually like to harvest right before the veil breaks.  So since I might not be able to do this because of my long working hours - what do you suggest:

- Harvest after the veil breaks when the shroom will grow a lot more in water weight and reduce potency per gram?  Or harvest when I see a little bit of the veil forming but not has fully stretched out?  

My overall concern is potency and having the most potency per gram so which option do you like better?  Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:38 PM

I don't recall ever seeing any convincing evidence of potency dropping after veil break.

AFAIK most just prefer not to let them go too mature so as to avoid the humongous spore-gasm that cube's tend to produce.

IMHO you are worrying about something that is inconsequential.

• MushLuvR and jenny212 like this

#3 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:46 PM

I'm no shroomologist, but from what I've seen the veil is more an indicator it's ready/good time to pick, followed after with spores dropping.

Doesn't seem in either event, veil breaking or spore dropping there is much of a perceived efficacy difference.

Edited by Micogi, 10 November 2021 - 12:47 PM.

• jenny212 likes this

#4 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for your replies!  Really appreciate it.  One followup question - If I do decide to pick them when the veil just starts forming and because I do not want to wait to have the veil break and have the spores mess - will they still be potent?  Because my concern is that if the veil is just forming, are shrooms potent at that time?  Or shrooms only have and reach potency when the veil fully forms?  

• MushLuvR likes this

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:38 PM

Honestly don't think a day or two either side of the 'veil break' moment makes any significant difference to potency.
I'm more concerned with getting them thoroughly dried and sealed away as quickly as I can after harvest.
  • bezevo, MushLuvR and jenny212 like this

#6 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:51 PM

The veil is just an indicator of a maturing mushroom and has no bearing on the potency of the fruit... when you grow all the time you know spores are UHHH bout to go Crazy on your project if you don't harvest fairly soon after the veil tears.  Potency has more to do with genetics mainly, and how good of a grower you are(A crappy tub can produce fruits even being neglected, doesn't mean they are potent).  You waiting a few hours isn't going to make or break the Potency.  You are... ALL Good.  

• jenny212 and xXHeathenXx like this

#7 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2021 - 02:29 PM

It is tough when you're busy. I've had a couple tubs that I had to check before work and they were over ready and starting to throw spores. Those 6 am full canopy harvests aren't as much fun.

One nice thing about cakes is they kinda spread out the harvest. Like everyone else says a few hours will not make enough difference in potency to ever notice. Although your comment about maturing and gaining water weight is about the best argument I've heard yet about potency/gram.

Unless you are a highly precise technological testing machine the variation will never be noticeable. If you want more potency per gram keep learning and down the road you will progress into the exotics which are more potent.

Until then. Keep up the good work and don't worry. Those shrooms will do the trick
  • jenny212 likes this

#8 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies and help!  This all makes a lot of sense :). I won't be too concerned about the harvesting and potency and just harvest when I get a chance before or after work.  Looking forward to my second harvest :)

• Cuboid and Micogi like this

#9 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,019 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2021 - 06:16 PM

And they look sexier without the black spores and sometimes curled heads

Potency aside then, I wonder what the weight difference would be? And would that technically get you more drugs by weight?

• jenny212 likes this

#10 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 07:05 PM

I don't find them particularly sexy at any stage, other than consumed which may cause arousal. Wish they had a vagina envy strain.

Any who, being I'm picking my first pickings, my best recommendation would be to pick one. Eat it. Wait for it... Then

Edited by Micogi, 10 November 2021 - 07:06 PM.

• jenny212 likes this

#11 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 12:09 AM

I'd rather pick early than too late. One night I decided to put off harvesting until morning cause I was too tired. That delay was all it took for the shrooms to spore all over the sub. I tried one thing after another to get shrooms growing on it to no avail but fortunately it did continue to side pin. I even thought about slicing the sub lengthwise into 4 strips and turning them 90 degrees. It just didn't seem like a good idea in the end. My recommendation would be to pick early rather than too late.

• MushLuvR and jenny212 like this

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,783 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:11 AM

Food for thought:

https://mycotopia.ne...-5#entry1176216

https://mycotopia.ne...-5#entry1176193

https://mycotopia.ne...l/#entry1300198

I'd forgotten reading the stuff in the link about lighting conditions at harvest, but I do recall that I never had a disappointing harvest (in terms of both yield and potency) when I was growing in a windowless basement (no natural light) using only blue LEDs.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and jenny212 like this

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,019 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 01:04 PM

Hmm sounds like bigger does not mean more drugs per mushroom. If we go with the thought that it stops alkaloid production after 20% fruiting it would make sense why guys swear the aborts have more kick than the full grown,  if of course you were going to weigh out similar doses. I should try that blue light on the next grow just for shits and giggles. Basement room with no window, check

• TVCasualty, Salty117 and jenny212 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!