Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Should I use a modified monotub or bod's bucket tek?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 02:54 PM

I'm debating what Tek I should use for my first bulk grow and am hoping someone can help me out.  I really like the modified monotub method, but the issue is that I'm only able to mist 1-2 times per day.  I read on this forum that you have to mist 3-4 times per day for this method.  Is this correct?  Or can I use the modified monotub method and only mist 1-2 times per day?  If not, then should I use Bods Bucket Tek method for growing or any other one that you recommend that would be best for me?  

Edited by danielfly, 11 November 2021 - 02:54 PM.

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 03:09 PM

i'd hafta look at that specific tek, but misting 3-4 times a day seems a bit excessive. Depending on how much fresh air exchange, i would mist once daily and try and fan 2 or 3 times daily. If the tub is designed to allow

for fresh air exchange (holes etc) then mist and fan twice daily. should be sufficient.

• HrVanker, Microbe, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#3 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 03:16 PM

How often and how much you need to fan and/or mist depends a lot on environmental factors. If you're in an arid environment, you'll need more mist/RH than in a more humid environment. This should ideally be balanced w/ passive FAE as well. For instance: a shotgun FC provides great FAE, but will lose humidity faster than a more closed system, no matter the environment. So that's something to think about.

That being said, I'm a big fan of dub-tubs. Get a set of 10 6qt shoe boxes on Amazon, use one tub for the bottom, and another for the top. It keeps the RH up, and FAE isn't bad since the tubs aren't sealed.

And because the tubs don't really need modifications, you can use them for other fungi related things. Last year I did a run of 10oz test grows, and had 3 or 4 "mini-tubs" per shoebox, just kept them stacked w/ lids on my kitchen counter.

Edited by HrVanker, 11 November 2021 - 03:17 PM.

• wharfrat, Salty117, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#4 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 03:30 PM

I don't understand why there are instructions on this forum and when you do google searches that to mist 3-4 times per day for a modified monotub?

#5 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 03:36 PM

Isn’t the bucket tek just to pasteurize coir? That’s almost outdated as most don’t pasteurize.

Misting is dependent on climate. Some never mist and I need to constantly water with a syringe.

Pick one tek and see it through
  • HrVanker, MushLuvR and danielfly like this

#6 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 03:39 PM

3-4 times is probably a reasonable average for how often to mist. But much like watering plants, it's different for everyone due to many factors. So it's more of a rule of thumb.

It's a process of getting it dialed-in for your space. I wouldn't stress over it too much... mist and fan, keep an eye on the sub. If it's getting more and more wet, back off the misting and fan a bit more. If it's getting dry, mist a bit more and keep fanning.

Wait, people don't pasteurize coir anymore? I didn't get the memo!
  • Salty117 and danielfly like this

#7 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:33 PM

This all makes total sense now.  I think I will just pick a method and see how it goes....and hopefully it'll be a success.

• HrVanker likes this

#8 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:35 PM

And you have plenty of help here, should you need it. Just post some pics in your grow thread, and someone will have some advice.

#9 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:15 PM

Wait, people don't pasteurize coir anymore? I didn't get the memo!

If you know your source of coir is trich free just pour boiling water and get to capacity. I'll usually mix up a batch and throw in in the instapot on keep warm for a few hours to be safe.
When I need to patch or case I'll use just near boiling water. Plenty of people have gotten away with boiling water. Or using a PC and bringing it to boiling and shutting it off and letting it sit. Coir seems pretty resistant. 

• HrVanker and MushLuvR like this

#10 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 516 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:41 PM

I do get trich free coir, but I still like the idea of pasteurization. Granted: the compacted coir probably is pretty safe, I imagine that process requires some significant heat and pressure. But stray spores and bacterial contamination still would worry me a bit. After all, wherever they package the coir has a lot of moisture and mold potential depending on how the place is kept.

That said, my pasteurization method is usually pretty lax anyway. I'll either do it in the oven, or a well insulated 5gal bucket. And I can't really argue w/ the results of unpasteurized coir.

Edited by HrVanker, 11 November 2021 - 05:42 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#11 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:47 PM

I've used HOT tap water to expand Coir and add the Verm once it has expanded all the way. By the time you get it all prepped it's cooled down enough to spawn right then and there.  Shoeboxes and CV are the easiest method hands down.  Run them as a Shoe/Bootbox with the lid on for Pinning(10-12 Days to see Pins from Spawning), Dub it for Fruiting...  I've even flipped the Lid on a Shoebox Style tub(after Pins form) and it's not enough Air for Big fruit development on a Passive system(still get fuzzy feet).  As soon as I Dubbed it (Bigger Air Gaps)... fruits were growing much faster and healthier.  You only mist the surface Pre pinning if it isn't showing little small beads everywhere.  If beads are present... leave it be.  After pinning, A balance of good passive Air and decent humidity for Low Tek ways of growing is the ticket. 

P1110638.JPG
P1110641.JPG

CV sub as described, went 3 flushes, but the 3rd 

was a Bust so sent Er' back to the earth(Compost pile).  

Edited by MushLuvR, 11 November 2021 - 05:50 PM.

• HrVanker likes this

#12 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:55 PM

I do get trich free coir, but I still like the idea of pasteurization. Granted: the compacted coir probably is pretty safe, I imagine that process requires some significant heat and pressure. But stray spores and bacterial contamination still would worry me a bit. After all, wherever they package the coir has a lot of moisture and mold potential depending on how the place is kept.

That said, my pasteurization method is usually pretty lax anyway. I'll either do it in the oven, or a well insulated 5gal bucket. And I can't really argue w/ the results of unpasteurized coir.

I used to practice on CVG subs my pasteurization technique when I was green to the game.  You can't mess it up, and you can dial in your technique if you want to go to Manure or Straw that require Pasteurization.  Too easy in Mason jars and fast to Pasteurize.  

• HrVanker and rockyfungus like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!