• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:59 PM

I've got a batch in the PC now of just Chia Seed and agar agar powder that I put together before I seen your post Rockyfungus but considering those digits, you may be onto a better track suggesting that I further reduce the Chia Seed content. Since I already have this batch put together, I'm still going to run it and see it through (25g chia seed, 8g agar agar, 500ml boiling water). I'm determined to get this dialed in so I can really cut back on my agar content. Even if it comes down to only using 5~10 grams chia seed per batch... better yet!

• rockyfungus likes this

#22 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2021 - 10:06 AM

Does your package say how many grams or stupid cups for it to gel?
My chia is old and just in a spice jar. 

#23 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:26 AM

It doesn't say how much is needed to thicken the water, just gives a recipe for chia seed blueberry muffins. For those that intend to ingest the chia seed water and want it to be on the thinner side, I found a recommendation for 3 cups of water per 1/3 cup of chia seeds, a 9:1 water to chia seed ratio. Gonna see if I can find a measuring cup and figure out what the weight of that is in Chia.

#24 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:40 AM

A 1/3 cup of chia seeds, in weight, comes to 56 grams. I'm using a little under half of that in 500ml of water at the time. A cup of water is around 236.5ml.. so 3 cups for a "thinner" mixture (again this is a recipe for if someone is intending to ingest) will run up to 709.5ml.

I poured the chia seed agar I mixed late last night, normally I would wait a few days to ensure that everything poured clean with no contamination, but since these are just test batches anyway, I'm not too worried about it. When they cooled to room temp I went ahead and made afew transfers onto some plates from the first batch and some from PDYA cups.

I will note as well that the smell of chia seed agar is similar to that of green tea.

• rockyfungus likes this

#25 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 05:55 PM

Some mycelium is enjoying the latest Chia Seed recipe, others not so much.. the Pan Cyan "Rainbow Eucalyptus" is not digging it, and neither are the Tampanensis and Galindoi (ATL#7) cultures.

The Wild TN Cube mycelium, and Ps. Natalensis cultures are having a nice little party in their cups.

Wild TN Cube

Wild TN Cube Chia Seed Test Batch 2 Resized.jpg

Wild TN Cube Chia Seed Test Batch 2 Resized 2.jpg

Ps. Natalensis

Ps Natalensis Chia Seed Agar Test Batch 2(a) resized.jpg

Ps Natalensis Chia Seed Agar Test Batch 2(b) resized.jpg

Ps Natalensis Chia Seed Agar Test Batch 2(c) resized.jpg

Ps Natalensis Chia Seed Agar Test Batch 2(d) resized.jpg

I'm planning to run another batch soon, going to reduce the chia seed content to 15g from 25g, and I'm going to leave the agar at 8g for the time being since I'm reducing the chia seed variable. If the density is adequate I'm going to reduce the agar agar content to 6g.

Considering Rockyfungus' preferred agar content, I have little reason to be suspicious that reducing the agar content to 6g is going to be inadequate. May further reduce chia seed content to 10g, and eventually try to introduce a couple grams of dextrose.

Edited by Salty117, 27 November 2021 - 06:03 PM.

• jkdeth and rockyfungus like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!