#21 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:42 PM

Day 4 after spawning the GWM to sub

DSC01777 (Medium).JPG

I don't know whether to be impressed or worried with the speed of colonization. Worried by the potential harvest I might be facing, not a bad thing but my dehydrator may be inadequate to the task. Besides which I recently tore apart my cobbled together dehydrator made from a box fan that would have been up to the task. They are called monster for a reason and this is a 32 qt tub and if I get a canopy... I'm looking forward to getting a few spore prints. Everybody says 10 days is average but the surface was totally covered by day 3. This is as impressive as getting a shipment from China in 3 days. Has anyone else had this fast of a colonization? Do I need to worry about it coming after me in the middle of the night?

I'm hesitant to put it to FC so soon, any suggestions on how to proceed? I understand some varieties need a verm casing on top when putting to FC. Is this one of those times?

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 21 November 2021 - 09:47 PM.

#22 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:42 AM

The day after the last post I put it to FC, it seems happy enough but no primordia development yet. The sub is pulling away from the tub sides. I put a piece of bubble wrap on top to try stimulating things but except for more mycelia growth nada. Do I need to put a casing layer of verm on it?

#23 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,587 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:22 AM

Pinning can stubborn sometimes
Most likely a little more time is all you need.
  • rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#24 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:51 PM

Pinning can stubborn sometimes
Most likely a little more time is all you need.

In my research I came across a mention of humidity levels for varieties like this and it's recommended to keep it as close to 100% as possible. With that in mind I replaced the tape over the holes but kept the lid flipped over. I still haven't ruled out a verm casing layer. The waiting continues...

#25 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

I've noticed these growing along the edges of the GWM sub for sometime now. Kinda a pinkish colored blob that's very firm, is it what I think it is, a blob? If so they're pretty small and have a core of substrate covered with this mycelia or whatever it is.

DSC01780 (Medium).JPG

BTW, no pins yet.

#26 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:30 AM

No pins, not even hyphal knotting? I don't think clumping like that is normal.. how much air exchange is the tub getting, and how does it smell?

Not trying to jump to conclusions but I think clumping like that is associated with "Wet Bubble" / Mycogone Perniciosa. 

#27 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:43 AM

And with mycogone you'll never seen pins I believe.

#28 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 01:26 PM

No pins, not even hyphal knotting? I don't think clumping like that is normal.. how much air exchange is the tub getting, and how does it smell?

Not trying to jump to conclusions but I think clumping like that is associated with "Wet Bubble" / Mycogone Perniciosa. 

I got knotting the day after spawning and by the third day the surface was totally covered with it but I haven't seen primordia yet. I mist the tub sides and lid and fan 3x a day. The smell is spot on for shrooms. I put a sheet of bubble wrap on it about a week ago but still no primordia that I can see. I haven't ruled out a verm casing layer or raking with a fork as another step.

DSC01781 (Medium).JPG   DSC01782 (Medium).JPG   DSC01783 (Medium).JPG   DSC01784 (Medium).JPG   DSC01785 (Medium).JPG

Most of this activity is along the edges but in one corner is moving towards the center. The texture reminds me of the firm wood lover fungi like turkey tail, not the soft shrooms. Time to pitch and move on? This is not what I expected of GWM.

"And with mycogone you'll never seen pins I believe."--- Rockyfungus          I believe you're right, time to pitch. Fortunately I've got lots of other varieties waiting in the fridge.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 01 December 2021 - 02:10 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

#29 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:38 PM

Given how widespread the blob contam is I pitched it. Upon thinking back to my sub prep I believe my erroneous belief that gypsum was an alkali and I added too much to balance the PH was the main contributing factor. I checked my repository of dishes and decided to go with the Tidal wave variety. I've got more GWM dishes ready but I'm feeling a bit cautious and bitten by the turn of events.I did pick up on some alkali water for the next sub prep so it should go better.

DSC01786 (Medium).JPG

Both dishes look like excellent candidates.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 01 December 2021 - 02:45 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

#30 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:55 PM

I have read that Tidal Wave is pretty suscetpible to the Enigma mutation. It's certainly on my list of cultures to procure and study. I hope that it goes well next time around  :biggrin:

#31 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:08 PM

I have read that Tidal Wave is pretty suscetpible to the Enigma mutation. It's certainly on my list of cultures to procure and study. I hope that it goes well next time around :biggrin:

With that in mind I'm thinking something a little more mundane, like A + Albino LC, just to get something going.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 01 December 2021 - 07:10 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

#32 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,587 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:35 PM

That did look like early stages of mycogone. You may have done the best thing. Personally I would have waited to see surface metabolites. Ironically that would have been a bad thing to do if it was.

Its tricky dealing with mutants, that GWM is basically an isolated mutant. With roots in AA+.

#33 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:37 PM

I'm pretty sure it was a case of too much gypsum, another hard lesson learned. Sometimes it seems like the harder I try the more failures I encounter. But it's in my DNA to experiment and try new things I think up or come across, it's not easy putting those tendencies aside.

jkdeth, you just had to bring up the AA+ association to GWM!!!. Now I'm second guessing my decision to use them. Well I've got some others to choose from so back to the mad scientist well of souls to see what comes to the surface.

#34 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:42 PM

PESAmazon LC it is. It's either that or PE6 LC or a half pint of colonized PB. I've already done PB and want to try something different. The PB will keep.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 01 December 2021 - 11:45 PM.

#35 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,587 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:54 AM

AA is a great strai, nothing wrong with running that. Im probably going to run it myself soon.

Not sure gypsum would cause a problem. But its fine to leave it out.

That bad tub could have been mycogone, or just bad genetics.

#36 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:42 AM

I looked into the mycogone but it doesn't totally fit into the description for two reasons. The first being the color is a faint pink and secondly the sub has a strong shroom smell especially after breaking it in two, the colonization was awesome. All the same I'm not regretting pitching it but still its not an easy thing to pitch such a strong grower after so many failures.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!