• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 11:31 AM

I’m working on my first shoebox dubtub tek for growing shrooms, and wanted to ask a few questions if someone can help me out.  

1.  So after I mix the spawn with the substrate and after I put a lid on the 6 quart container, do I put tape around it to form a better seal and avoid contamination? 

2.  Is it better to use a clear lid to easily see if the substrate is fully colonized?  Or it doesn’t matter?  (The clear lid tubs are a little more pricey)

3.  Then after it is colonized, I remove the tape and then add a tub upside down over it to make it a dubtub, correct?

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:02 PM

1. I've never bothered taping it. If your spawn is fully colonized and clean picture it being strong enough to fight anything else. Depending what your substrate is it should be pretty resistant to contamination as well.
  2. Side of the tub will show all you need and you can always pick up the lid 5-7 days out to see if it needs anything. Refer to point 1 it's contam resistant.
  3. Dub tub doesn't need to be taped if it's balanced and not going anywhere  :tongue:

My process. Throw hydrated coir on bottom of shoebox. Throw my spawn on that. Throw another layer of hydrated coir on that. It's either done or if I wanna do more I mix it all even. Snap the lid close and forget about it for a week.

Even easier.

https://mycotopia.ne...c/#entry1483286

Edited by rockyfungus, 17 November 2021 - 12:03 PM.

• MushLuvR and danielfly like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:23 PM

Because of my environment, I tape mine. Sometimes I'll find a feline laying on top or next to tubs in the sun, the 2 legged animals can be trouble too. You don't need a clear lid for the mono part.

Lately, I've been adding a Qt of grain to:

80g COIR
1C verm
2C water
(thanks Faht)

I also add to the mix
1 tsp gypsum

Good luck Danielfly!

Edit: I reread the OP, sorry, no need for tape with the mono part, I do tape the dub.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 17 November 2021 - 01:17 PM.

• fahtster, FLASHINGROOSTER, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:34 PM

here is write up of a common dub tub tek.. 

https://mycotopia.ne...t-a-4-part-tek/

no need to tape, or have a clear lid. just leave for 10 days before peeking at it, give it a chance to fully colonize.

after, just balance the upper tub on top. If you plan on doing the zombie method, that will require a little more thought

I have that outlined in the tek above.

• jkdeth, MushLuvR and danielfly like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:03 PM

I have grey lids for my shoeboxes, not an issue and no need to tape anything(as stated), the imperfect lid provides GE for colonization(and decent Air for fruiting).  Going from a shoebox to a Dub is the way once you have Pins, they do OK on their own with just a lid, but I prefer to Dub after Pins(PE do require more Air, a lid only may be fine for Regular Cubes... I give my fruits Air once established no matter what I'm growing).  Wharfrat nailed the timeline, 10-12 days you should see Pins from spawning and throw another tub on top.  Bigger Gap Dubbed rather than the Lid.    Once of the easiest passive styles of growing hands down.  

• danielfly likes this

#6 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:38 PM

Wow this is such helpful info!  I think this is a pretty simple process that maybe I'm overthinking too much.  I really like all of your suggestions and just use a regular lid (not clear) and no tape.  And then wait 10 plus days to let it colonize and then put a dubtub on.  Let's see how this all turns out :)   Thanks for the suggestions. 

• wharfrat, YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#7 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:48 PM

"Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines."

Trust a trusted process. Then you'll get the process and deviate as you see fit.

• Arathu, wharfrat, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#8 danielfly

danielfly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 02:07 PM

Amazing quote and insight.  Love it!

Edited by danielfly, 17 November 2021 - 02:07 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,063 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

I'm telling you,..........Mycotopia is the new Library at Alexandria........beautiful!

You'll like this I bet...good vibes....

I had good luck with HPOO pasteurized and verm to field capacity in DUBS and bags.....

There are so many ways that work it's wild........

A

• wharfrat and MushLuvR like this

#10 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 714 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:09 PM

I've only been at this for about a year. When I tried shoeboxes first I used the guide that wharfrat posted above. I've tweaked the process and recipe a little but I've had very good results sticking to that basic formula. And the recipe of Fahts that yoshi posted will give you perfectly hydrated substrate. I like to add coffee grounds and a dash of pickling lime.

I usually use tin foil over mine with a few holes covered by breathable medical tape. It's basically the same as using the lid. I just fell into the habit of foil.

It seems complicated the first time. But after you do a couple you'll find your flow. And like Rockyfungus said. 1. 2. 3. Done easy.

Good luck.

#11 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:17 AM

Dang it! Sorry, should have read Pt not Qt.

"Lately, I've been adding a Qt of grain to:

80g COIR
1C verm
2C water
(thanks Faht)

I also add to the mix
1 tsp gypsum"
  • FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#12 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:40 AM

Awesome amount for smaller projects (Faht Style), are you using Boiling water @YoshiTrainer... or close to Boiling.  

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#13 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 10:09 AM

Because of my environment Mush, I sterilize everything. Probably over kill but I toss everything in a 2 micron filter patch bag and 90 min at 15 psi.

#14 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:23 PM

Hey... @YoshiTrainer... if "Overkill" gets you to the finish Line...I'm all for it.  I used to pasteurize CVG back in the day when Bucket Style and Mono's were all the Rage, but I was learning and paranoid at the time(09ish) and didn't want to risk my Mono project with MANY quarts of sub over a little bit of time.  It's SO easy in jars or 1 gallon bags(if you need a big amount of sub) to Pasteurize.... I personally enjoy the process... it's just part of it... and the smell of properly pasteurized subs makes me Happy.   :tongue:

• Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!