• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SquareGrowing

SquareGrowing

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:12 PM

I'm just getting started in the hobby but have been interested in mycology for years.  I have read countless posts, watched videos and read articles about mycology and thanks to all of the community contributions, I finally gotten off the bench!

- Nov 6 - Inoculation Day:  Having done some research, I was aware that this is the first milestone to pass without contamination.  I was overly cautious with lysol, alcohol, flame sterilization, still air box and paranoia (I mean caution).  I inoculated some Uncle Ben's with a GT spore syringe and taped accordingly.  What happened over the next several days was an exercise in patience.  I proceeded to look, poke, feel and fret over my babies, as any newb would do.  At the first signs of life, I was optimistic.  I left everything alone until my bag was 50% colonized and tried the ole break and shake.  Shortly thereafter, I thought all was lost...until I learned that mycelium bruise too.  Who knew? 

- Nov 26 - Spawn to Bulk Day:  This step was a lot less intimidating than I expected.  After cleaning and sanitizing everything, I laid a base of CVG at field capacity into the bottom of a 6qt tote, covered with colonized grain and covered again with CVG before closing the lid.  I also added a seedling mat to keep everything nice and comfortable.  I also took the time to transfer some "leftover" grains to new bags of rice.  Now I have my next set colonizing as well. 

So, that's where I am at now.  Waiting and reading. 

Question:  Is it possible/advisable to clone directly to grain or does the cloned mycelium need to be on agar first?

• wharfrat, Salty117 and rockyfungus like this

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,077 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:29 PM

You can clone directly to grain. Agar is a great tool as going to grain will backfire with spores. Cloning can be done but you need perfect aspetic technique. 

Make sure you got a meatier stem to break open and grab some clean inner tissue.

Do a few jars as it may feel awkward at first. I use tweezers and flame.

Edited by rockyfungus, 29 November 2021 - 04:31 PM.

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,860 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2021 - 05:03 PM

welcome to topia  :biggrin:

#4 SquareGrowing

SquareGrowing

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:26 PM

You can clone directly to grain. Agar is a great tool as going to grain will backfire with spores. Cloning can be done but you need perfect aspetic technique. 

Make sure you got a meatier stem to break open and grab some clean inner tissue.

Do a few jars as it may feel awkward at first. I use tweezers and flame.

Thanks for the quick reply.  That seemed like a "makes sense" approach to me but appreciate the reassurance.

#5 SquareGrowing

SquareGrowing

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 11:28 PM

welcome to topia  :biggrin:

Really glad to be here!  I think I'll take off my shoes and stay for a while.   :thumbs_up2:

#6 WelcomeUniversal

WelcomeUniversal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:41 AM

I tested different kinds of cloning, and i could say, that cloning to the LC with antibiotics is most effective and easy way.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!