Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

For the chemists out there... terpene extraction?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 01:52 PM

Hey all.

I'm in the middle of a project, well, i suppose at the beginning rather... 

I'm real interested in the potential in the topical application of a few active-plant/mushroom components specifically for ergogenic/performance enhancing purposes- More specifically in this case I'm curious about using Lion's Mane to help intentionally increase axon size + myelination.... 

Not really what I'm asking about here though.

It's been shown that natural terpenes, including those found in Reishi, act as penetration enhancers, greatly increasing the penetration effect of the transdermal application of various drugs. 

I'm an herbalist, and I'm well familiar with making various salves creams etc, and in the past I've added a reishi extract in alcohol in hopes of making use of this PE effect of it's terpenes.

However, it's also been shown that adding to topical formulas terpenes in the 1%-5% ratio of the total formula are most effective.

Which brings me to my question

Having no specific chemistry equipment to make use of, are there any extraction-methods I can use to isolate terpenes out of my medicinal mushrooms? 

• HrVanker and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:03 PM

I'm certainly no expert. But IIRC, terpenes tend to be somewhat volatile compounds. So I would suspect that some sort of distillation or cold extraction would be the route to go.

Perhaps a tincture made from fresh mushrooms would be the best option? It certainly wouldn't be an isolation of the desired terpenes, but it should contain them. But in theory you could ball park the terpene percentage based on averages, though it would not be terribly accurate.

If you want to isolate, I suspect that distillation is the best method, but that requires equipment and experience that I don't [yet] have. You could likely get some good isolation here, but it will take time, equipment, and mistakes.

Edited by HrVanker, 02 December 2021 - 02:06 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,456 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:40 AM

I'll offer a hog wild guess.

Extract the terpenes and anything like them.

Then go to fractional distillation. 

Maybe you'd end up with the target terpene in one jar and every other compound in other jars.

It would take some practice for a non lab rat but certainly do-able.

Norman, got anything for this?

• HrVanker likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!