Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Promising find in Vermont, but what is it?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Herenow

Herenow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:25 PM

IMG_20211003_094646883.jpg IMG_20211015_074116347.jpg IMG_20210929_163421900.jpg IMG_20211002_151908645.jpg I found these coming up in a garden bed off my front porch (this after a summer and fall of tromping through the woods in search of active mushrooms.)

These are in central Vermont between a yew and rhododendron. The garden was mulched once upon a time but not recently. The mushrooms came up in mid to late October. As you can see (I hope) from the pictures, the cap is umbonate, striate, hygrophanous, the gills are adnexed and dark brown, the stem fibrous and slender and curvy, mycelium sticks strongly to base, the spore print is dark brown/purple and the mushrooms bruise blue if you look at them wrong.

What do you think they are? I think they are edible because of the bruising and the spore print. If I am lucky they are also active.

• Arathu, wharfrat and ElPirana like this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:15 PM

Those look to be P. ovoideocystidiata, if I'm not mistaken.....at first I wondered about P. caerulipes but nah.....

I'm thinking you might have some ovoid's in the mulch there....do you remember a distinctive scent? Would really love to see a nice gill shot to be sure...always get a clean gill close up too....

Very interesting find next to the porch.....ovoids will definitely grow in mulch and other woody debris....they are also known to fruit in the fall from time to time....

Put some spores under a microscope and get a look/pictures....there's reference on the web for sure....100% ID always.....

A

• riseabovethought, wharfrat and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:03 AM

I agree, you are looking at Ovoids more than likely, but as stated above, 100% ID is recommended NO doubt.  Beautiful Shots.   

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:54 PM

If those do turn out to be Ovoids, hold onto your ass when you eat them, because they are the best mushrooms I have ever had. The trip from them is much more beautiful, electic, colorful, and just enjoyable than any other active ones I have had. 

• Arathu and riseabovethought like this

#5 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:34 PM

Herenow

what ag zone are you in ? i am zone 5 . i'm looking for ? a wood lover  that might  be able to naturlize in zone 4 or 5

#6 Herenow

Herenow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:26 AM

IMG_20210929_162514697.jpg

Here is a nice shot of the gills. 

Its was suggested above that the only way to get a positive ID is with a microscope. 

I was under the impression that some people can accurately identify edible psilocybin mushroom from macro traits, such as Stamets' observation that so far all mushroom discovered that have a dark spore print (black/darkbrown/purplish) and bruise blue contain psilocybin and are edible.

My research shows that the deadly lookalike is going to be galerinas, which have a lighter spore print, hard to confuse with the prints these mushrooms produced.

ps, I'm in zone 5b.

Edited by Herenow, 04 December 2021 - 08:26 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:38 AM

First off........Excellent photos !! Seriously !

I'm in the Ovoid camp as well.

• Coopdog and Arathu like this

#8 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,077 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:43 AM

Ovoids too..None of us want to be responsible for saying DO IT!

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

I would definitely be keeping a nice dark print of those......it's about assured that is ovoid.....

Take good care of your landscaping duties friend.......

Still tell me about the smell.....is there a scent?

A

Edited by Arathu, 06 December 2021 - 06:33 PM.

• Myc and Coopdog like this

#10 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:19 PM

I wrote the OP a private message. It was read but no response.

I'm an ovoid collector and have prints from all over the globe.

Maybe OP is tripping on their finds?

There is a particular perfume or odor that I have come to recognize.

Edited by Myc, 06 December 2021 - 09:20 PM.

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:53 AM

@Myc, your earlier ovoid experiences, that you shared here, set the stage for mine.....there is definitely, IME, a distinct scent present in the fungus itself......

When out hunting in the wild it has become relatively routine for me to "kick up some soil" and SNIFF for the ovoid perfume......it IS another piece of the ID puzzle 

OP et al., just keep in mind that they ARE NOT cubensis.....and growing in the yard no less..... (way more common than people might think) I have had friends that live in the river valley send me pictures of huge flushes in the landscaping.....

Also keep in mind that EACH is fully responsible for their own decisions and actions....my opinion is that you do not want to eat a handful of ovoids wondering if they are the right thing.....unless that's a lesson you need in particular...

I personally do not recommend ingesting anything at all based upon opinions from the WWW....(that is not to say that you weren't doing your own homework on it as you obviously were/are....)

Also be sure to ID each that you pick if that's what you're doing....adopted by "The Serpent".....whoa!

A

• Myc and Coopdog like this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,077 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

That fragrance is real almost sweet and bitter to me? It's enticing yet my body knows it's got a kick of some sort.

I've noticed I'm slowly developing a nose for different mycs. Some are strikingly obvious and others are just myc. Mold on the other hand I immediately know is around.

The dog has the nose too. Not sure if that's just from all the myc related stuff in the house. Yesterday she dug up some oysters for me. Maybe we need to get some truffle training going. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 07 December 2021 - 09:29 AM.

• Myc, Coopdog and Arathu like this

#13 Herenow

Herenow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:19 PM

Work's been busy. 

One of my favorite jokes is to hold up a mushroom and say that it smells like fingers. I don't have a good enough sense of smell of different smells like those described.

I'll be happy to send along the spore print. 

As for edibility, (non-toxicity) that is my (our) big question. 

Full disclosure: these came up last year and they were id'd as p aztecorum on a web site, and based on the rule that if the spore print is dark and it bruises blue, then it contains psilocybin and psilocybin is not bad for you, I ate them. They were good. I had 2 grams so the trip was fun but not much more.

So I have not eaten this year's find yet because the identification is different. But the print/blue thing is still true. And also because I was keeping a close eye on this patch all year and noticed that there were other mushrooms in the neighborhood, mostly boletes.

• bezevo likes this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:22 PM

I've never seen Aztecs so I can't say that I've compared them.....

I am of the current understanding that they are quite rare and grow in a very specific environment..... but that could be pure ignorance as well....

These do appear to be ovoids to me.......

Patches of mulch are very cool places and the existing chips can very easily be fed and maintained.....as you may know...

A

#15 Herenow

Herenow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:08 PM

I wish I knew.

How does one feed and maintain a patch like this one?

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:32 AM

You feed them wood materials of some type, also you can grab a few colonized wood chips and especially the stem butts from fruits and learn to expand them.......

There are excellent threads and pretty much endless reading that show many techniques and examples of how it can be accomplished.....

Go here first https://mycotopia.ne...ies-woodlovers/

Good vibes.....

A

#17 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2021 - 01:33 AM

I found these coming up in a garden bed off my front porch (this after a summer and fall of tromping through the woods in search of active mushrooms.)&&0){for(var>)throw>

These are in central Vermont between a yew and rhododendron. The garden was mulched once upon a time but not recently. The mushrooms came up in mid to late October. As you can see (I hope) from the pictures, the cap is umbonate, striate, hygrophanous, the gills are adnexed and dark brown, the stem fibrous and slender and curvy, mycelium sticks strongly to base, the spore print is dark brown/purple and the mushrooms bruise blue if you look at them wrong.

What do you think they are? I think they are edible because of the bruising and the spore print. If I am lucky they are also active.

They are Psilocybe aztecorum.   

This is the second time that this species has been found in Vermont, see https://mushroomobserver.org/285394.

• Coopdog, Arathu, bezevo and 1 other like this

#18 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:21 AM

Alan Rockefeller I have come across a few of your videos on youtube. Just gave you a shout out from Topia on there. Good videos.

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,156 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2021 - 05:37 AM

I found these coming up in a garden bed off my front porch (this after a summer and fall of tromping through the woods in search of active mushrooms.)&&0){for(var>)throw>

They are Psilocybe aztecorum.   

This is the second time that this species has been found in Vermont, see https://mushroomobserver.org/285394.

Thanks Alan......that's quite interesting to know.....

A

#20 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:37 PM

Alan Rockefeller I have come across a few of your videos on youtube. Just gave you a shout out from Topia on there. Good videos.

Thanks!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!