4 replies to this topic

#1 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 11:23 PM

Hi everyone,
So years ago when I got into the mushroom growing, I had a friend who was on this path before me and who was giving me growing tips. She said that when she first got into it, she went through the effort of getting a Native American ID card as her membership as a tribeswoman would leave her in a legal loophole so to speak with regards to growing mushrooms. I'm not in contact with her anymore and I can't find online anything that would point me to it. Do you know what I'm talking about? Do you know which tribe this is that is allowed to use magic mushrooms as part of the ceremonial tradition and would allow non-Native Americans to join?
Thank you in advance.

Edited by kirazmin, 18 December 2021 - 02:13 AM.

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:23 AM

I'm not sure what your friend did but tribal membership doesn't work that way - at least not federally recognized tribal membership.

You have to be a descendant - blood relative - of the tribe to which you apply.

Here's a guide to help get you get started:

https://www.archives...rial/intro.html

Unfortunately, that membership card is not really a legal loophole. No exemptions from federal law are conferred by tribal membership. You'll get perks with Universal Health Care - like reduced premiums and copays. You also won't have to wait for "open enrollment" periods like everyone else and instead can get coverage whenever you decide to apply.

Other benefits may be available but many of them are tribe specific - offered by the tribe and not by the federal government.

I'm still waiting for my "get out of jail free" card to arrive. ;)

Edited by Myc, 18 December 2021 - 11:31 AM.

• roc, Skywatcher and kirazmin like this

#3 kirazmin

kirazmin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, I think she fudged that one  :tongue: I don't think she meant that it was an ENTIRELY get out of jail free card like I implied here but I think it was definitely supposed to do *some*thing  :meditate:  I really should've asked for details on that one while I still could  :rolleyes:  Thank you anyhow  :wub:

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2021 - 03:17 PM

The only other way to get "religious exemption" which is (kind of) recognized by the feds is to become a member of the Native American Church.

Again though, you have to prove at least 25% Native American - by lineage - in order to be accepted. So back to the article linked in my first reply.

Unless you plan on becoming the Frank Lucas of magic mushrooms.......I wouldn't worry about it. Law enforcement is not really concerned with a few loner hippie types who want to expand their minds on the weekend.

• coorsmikey and Skywatcher like this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,038 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:10 AM

To my knowledge, the only religious "pass" I am aware of pertains only to peyote. I have not seen anything similar regarding mushroom use.

The actual legal loophole is not something I would trust in, and not a substitute for discretion IMO.....

https://peyoteway.or...ligious-belief/

• roc, Myc and coorsmikey like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!