Jump to content

- - - - -

Anyone know any one who ate the wrong mushroom?

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Herenow



  • Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 05:43 PM

One of my goals is to get good enough at identifying mushrooms that I can safely eat an active mushroom in the wild. So I went looking for statistics. I know it's dangerous, but how many people have died trying? My search turned up a handful of mushroom poisoning fatalities each year, most of them from people mistaking amanitas for tasty edibles. This page was the best summary https://www.eatthepl...tatistics-2016/


My question: how many people looking for wild actives poison themselves? Have you heard of someone making this mistake? 

  • Coopdog and Boebs like this

#2 Juthro


    dope smoking hillbilly

  • OG VIP
  • 9,823 posts


Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:12 PM

I know people that have ate LBM's (little brown mushrooms) while looking for liberty caps, and luckily for them they were harmless, but it is not a wise move to eat mushrooms that you are not absolutely sure of what they are.


As H3 once said, all mushrooms are edible, at least once....


Stay safe, and happy hunting.

  • Coopdog, Boebs and Grunta like this

#3 bezevo



  • Gold VIP
  • 1,310 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:26 PM

weii.....'s my Non expert opinion.....

That  the over whelming Vast majority of mushrooms will  NOT kill you ,


But still a small portion might make you feel icky


However  a small portion will Kill You Dead

unless you got some David Crosby like connections and can get a Liver transplant RTFN !.


i think most armature Mycologists  use BOOKS  or THE VAST Resources of the internet to  clearly identify any mushroom before they shove it in  there pie hole

.Learn were theses resources are they have things like very accurate  descriptions in Written Words clearly Photos of things like cap shape  , color ,, gill shape sizes and color and even the discretion of the smell .

Now  this is Amazing ....Thy have PHOTOS  OF SPORES  Threw a Microscope.... this is important to making accurate identification ,You should buy a good quality microscope .


Now if one was not bright enough to use all of these tools BEFORE you shove any unidentified mushroom in your pie hole


We call this The Darwin Effect .... 


ok i know i didn't throw in links and  so on but  i think your friend google will help you with this part .


YES YES I know you wanted to be  able to Field identify , i think you should master the  above resources above first Before you  get al ...YUAL GIBBONS in the feild ..

These are again ...non internet expert opinions.... 


check out some of member Allan Rockefeller's  internet sites  you tube vids ect ,  he kinda knows is stuff  ..# 1 TIP ...OF ...THE ,,,DAy




ok this is truly easier than Rocket Science !


i hope this overly lengthy reply was helpful .



Edited by bezevo, 24 December 2021 - 10:14 PM.

  • Juthro and Boebs like this

#4 Boebs



  • VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2021 - 10:52 AM

I had a buddy eat these thinking they were cubes..
For like 3-4 days he laid in a bathtub wishing for death.
He did not die.. but shit himself so much he basically almost died from loss of electrolytes. Was hospitalized for a few days after that just getting IV basically.

Was fine and is still alive today.
Damn hippy wook now tho lmao

https://en.m.wikiped...llum_molybditesScreenshot_20211225-104903_Samsung Internet.jpg
  • Juthro and Herenow like this

#5 Boebs



  • VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2021 - 10:55 AM

Most mushrooms that are active are fairly easy to identify once you spend some time researching and hunting.

"It must bruise blue to be true"
is the best thing to remember about 80+% of actives.

"When in doubt throw it out"
This is the best advice to foraging for anything out of the wild you wish to ingest.
  • Skywatcher, Juthro and bezevo like this

#6 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller


  • OG VIP
  • 2,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:24 AM

9 times out of 10 the people who eat the wrong mushroom just get a little less hungry.   


Occasionally they get a little sick but it clears up in a day or 2.


One in many tens of thousands dies - on average about 1 person per year in the USA.

  • bezevo and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!