7 replies to this topic

#1 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2021 - 02:34 PM

Can't believe I waited all these years to purchase noise cancelling headphones. I'm not an audiophile but I've had my share of in ear monitors, headphones, cans, etc. 

Holy shit guess I really have issues with sound. I put the cans and the reduction in noise instantly makes me feel tired. Usually I sleep to a very ambient or heavy album...Now I don't even select music as I'm already passing out.

Next is a weighted blanket to stop flailing. I just hate being confined. The cats know to stay far away and lay on the lady. 

• Ferretious, Juthro, Moonless and 1 other like this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:11 PM

Glad you treated yourself to some noise cancelling headphones. What kind did you get?

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

Sony WH-1000XM4.

Typically dislike bluetooth but pairs nicely. Shuts off when they fall off in my sleep too. 

• Moonless likes this

#4 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2021 - 05:29 PM

How do those work? they must create a passive sound in the background that negates the background noise. Could we assume a constant white noise effect would be present. It is bizarre trying to figure out for who and what levels of audio are comfortable for sleep. I find that in the spring it feels strange when the furnace quits working. Then screwed up again when the heat shows up and the fans start running. Then finally in the fall when the summer cooling fans get clicked off there is a period where my mind has to adjust to the lack of noise again.

Those weighted blankets are weird, sometime I like it and sometimes I wonder why I bought it. All I can say is don't buy a weighted blanked for its supposed cooling properties. What a crock. Its super cold when you put it on but after your body warms up the little beads its as warm as any blanket I have ever used.

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2021 - 05:38 PM

This has been my goto for a few years when I need a little background noise for sleeping.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2021 - 06:08 PM

Haha shows where you got used to sleeping I assume.

I miss loud loud jarring thunderstorms...

I believe the headphones inverse whatever sound is coming in. Not white to me as much as all the decibels are turned down.

"A microphone captures the targeted ambient sounds, and a small amplifier generates sound waves that are exactly out of phase with the undesired sounds."

"Noise cancellation makes it possible to listen to audio content without raising the volume excessively. It can also help a passenger sleep in a noisy vehicle such as an airliner. In the aviation environment, noise-cancelling headphones increase the signal-to-noise ratio significantly more than passive noise attenuating headphones or no headphones, making hearing important information such as safety announcements easier.[1] Noise-cancelling headphones can improve listening enough to completely offset the effect of a distracting concurrent activity.[2]"

Feels like a nice soundproofed room. Only experienced at Epcot and recording studios. Wish I could find one of those sealed off noiseless rooms.

Edited by rockyfungus, 29 December 2021 - 06:08 PM.

• Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#7 Ferretious

Ferretious

Mycelium or your's?

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:27 AM

Cool! Those things combined with the super eyeshades that Michael Pollan used for his, If I recall correctly, psilocyn trip in "How To Change Your Mind", would be a great way of doing sensory depravation without the isolation tank. OK, you wouldn't be floating in water, but near enough.

• rockyfungus likes this

#8 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:47 AM

It's a quick shift of consciousness for me too. If you mediate it's one less stimuli and a huge one for me.

Now it's just focusing on breath, my clothes touching me, and the butt on the floor.

Honestly though a good pair of earplugs is probably similar. The comfort and music reproduction for me is where it's at. 

• Ferretious likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!