5 replies to this topic

#1 Ferretious

Ferretious

Mycelium or your's?

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2022 - 05:41 PM

Trying to remember what this deformed beauty is again. Peruviana? I have my work cut out for me, now that I've rediscovered my lost children. They have either died or grown in strange ways! (What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! [and stranger]) Either way, the brown column with the longest thorns is a no save. It's soft and mushy. The other is more than viable but has the curve. I may have to cut it into sections. What are your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0641.jpg
  • IMG_0642.jpg
  • IMG_0643.jpg
  • IMG_0644.jpg

Edited by Ferretious, 06 January 2022 - 06:13 PM.

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2022 - 09:25 PM

I'm no expert, but that looks like a Peruviana for sure.  I have Bridge, Pachs, and Peruvi's and it's definitely not a Bridge or Pach.  I have a SS02/Serra Blue and one looks more Bridge and the other 3 look more Peru.  Looks savable from here.  Good Luck.

MushL

• Ferretious likes this

#3 Ferretious

Ferretious

Mycelium or your's?

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 02:38 AM

I'm no expert, but that looks like a Peruviana for sure.  I have Bridge, Pachs, and Peruvi's and it's definitely not a Bridge or Pach.  I have a SS02/Serra Blue and one looks more Bridge and the other 3 look more Peru.  Looks savable from here.  Good Luck.

MushL

Here's the other long spined columnar cactus. I suspect this may be Bridgesii. The spines are different.  All the tags that came with these cacti have long since eroded so it's a guessing/remember game. The Monstrose is easy! (Of course! How can you mistake them!). Thanks for the input MushLuvR! This means a lot to me!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0646.jpg
  • IMG_0647.jpg

Edited by Ferretious, 08 January 2022 - 02:39 AM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:26 AM

I think your ID is Correct, looks like Bridge Spines No Doubt.  All good Cactus Compadre, I hope you revive them.  It's Gratifying to see a Comeback!

MushL

Edited by MushLuvR, 08 January 2022 - 11:26 AM.

• usagolden and Ferretious like this

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,520 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 12:22 PM

IF my guess is correct the white spines on the first AND second cactus suggest Cuzcoensis which got bad reviews back in the day for having little or no actives on board.  It shows up frequently in places like this and I'm surprised it's so common if non-active.

I have one. It looks just like your sample. Grows like a weed.

Sadly, haven't gotten around to bio-assaying it ever in 20 years :(

I'd gladly send a sample to someone who has testing equipment.

That said, given the neglect of both samples it's possible they're just badly nutrient deprived Bridges' which could account for the colorless, dried out spines even near the newest growth.

I'm guessing. So take it for what it's worth. Hopefully helping get closer to a good I.D.

Edited by pharmer, 08 January 2022 - 12:26 PM.

• Ferretious and MushLuvR like this

#6 Ferretious

Ferretious

Mycelium or your's?

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:16 PM

IF my guess is correct the white spines on the first AND second cactus suggest Cuzcoensis which got bad reviews back in the day for having little or no actives on board.  It shows up frequently in places like this and I'm surprised it's so common if non-active.

I have one. It looks just like your sample. Grows like a weed.

Sadly, haven't gotten around to bio-assaying it ever in 20 years :(

I'd gladly send a sample to someone who has testing equipment.

That said, given the neglect of both samples it's possible they're just badly nutrient deprived Bridges' which could account for the colorless, dried out spines even near the newest growth.

I'm guessing. So take it for what it's worth. Hopefully helping get closer to a good I.D.

If I recall correctly, I only purchased actives. But hey, it's been more than ten years! Thanks for the input Pharmer.

• MushLuvR likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!