#1 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 07:11 PM

ED5CA543-8B3E-4908-9136-B4F67CA9AA87.jpeg

Greetings pepper heads.

This is going to be my pepper growing thread for the 2022 outdoor garden.

I have an old asparagus patch that I am going to companion plant with tomatoes and peppers and the likely things that go along with these plants.

Plan to process and freeze the ozark pepper and save seeds
Plan to turn the other two into hot sauce and picked and smoked and rubbed all over my tastebuds.

Look is like I need to get my indoor jump start on starting the seeds in the next couple weeks.
  • Skywatcher, Juthro, jkdeth and 3 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:33 AM

Sounds nice, we just received our seeds from Bakers Creek as well :)  I love me some peppers for sure. We grow ours in containers.  During the summer we grow them in the green house, and then they overwinter in the house.

Those Ozark Giants look nice, I may need to look into those.  They want $3.60ish for a SINGLE organic grown giant bell pepper where I live, and about a buck less for the non organic ones.

This season looks like we are growing some Ruby Kings, and some Yum Yum Gold mini bells.  We also have some Felicity peppers that I smoke and grind, some Anaheim's that are destined to become canned green, and red chilies, and last but not least, some cayenne that will get likely get used in a hot sauce.

Edited by Juthro, 19 January 2022 - 11:37 AM.

• coorsmikey, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#3 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 06:50 PM

Sounds nice, we just received our seeds from Bakers Creek as well :)  I love me some peppers for sure. We grow ours in containers.  During the summer we grow them in the green house, and then they overwinter in the house.

Those Ozark Giants look nice, I may need to look into those.  They want $3.60ish for a SINGLE organic grown giant bell pepper where I live, and about a buck less for the non organic ones.

This season looks like we are growing some Ruby Kings, and some Yum Yum Gold mini bells.  We also have some Felicity peppers that I smoke and grind, some Anaheim's that are destined to become canned green, and red chilies, and last but not least, some cayenne that will get likely get used in a hot sauce.

Hi Juthro
I have seen mention a couple threads where you comment about smoking and grinding. I will follow up with you for pointers at the end of the season.

I am using the tomatoes and peppers on each side of a asparagus patch that came with the land we bought to do some companion gardening. So the ozarks will go in the ground. The other two would def benefit from a season extending structure. What size container do you use ?
  • Juthro likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:15 PM

You can ask me questions anytime about how I smoke, and preserve peppers.  I'm always happy to share anything I've learned.  We do a single plant in a 2 gal pot, and by bringing them inside during the winter we've had them last 3 or 4 years.

BTW, congrats on getting a new spot to garden in, thats way cool.  With all the supply issues we are having lately I think planting your own garden is a really good idea.  Kind of like the old fashion victory gardens.  Anyway, may all your plant produce a bountiful harvest.

• Moonless and StrayDogWanders like this

#5 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 10:32 AM

Thanks man.

2 gal, wow would have guessed at least a 5 gal. Is that for control of plant size / weight because you bring them in?
Other then finding that “special”plant to save what do you find to be advantage of its more perennial nature vs annually growing them.
3-4 years, do you see any change in the peppers as the plant ages?
Do you save seeds of peppers? I would like to. Cross pollination was mentioned, to which I saw poz and neg points. I giggled at the thought of a bell pepper stir fry that fry’s your tongue off. Need to read and understand that more.
The retail therapy of loading a bowl, grabbing a cup of coffee, seed catalogs and the internet is SOOO easy though. I’d probably be ordering something from one or more sites anyway.

I have some freezer space - smoke and freeze/stir fry type strips and dices
Smoked and grind
Pickles (sweety drops recipe)
Relish/jam

Trying not to go overboard this year in plant count. Half the space will be tomatoes as well as space for other asparagus companions. Also have a lot to do getting some guild type plantings set up on some aged fruit trees to bring some health and vigor back but more importantly have that type system in place for when I may need to replace them.

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:44 PM

WOW, that's a lot of questions :) But that's no problem, and I'll do my best to answer.

The pot size is for a couple of reasons.  First, and foremost it's what I had lying around.  Second reason is limited space indoors.  When we visited a commercial green house at Chena Hot Springs we saw they were using 2gal pots.  Also, they were also growing 2 plants per pot to increase plant density in their green house.  They kept their plants small, and grow them as annuals.  I let my plants get  larger, though I still keep them trimmed so as to better utilize the limited room in front of my south facing picture window.

Last reason for the 2gal pot size, I can fit 2 in a Sterilite under bed storage container.  The Sterilite containers make for a nice containment system to keep any spills or mess off the wood flooring.  They also have held up well to the UV's, and have lasted for many years of use.

As far as preserving your harvest, peppers freeze well.  We've also made lots of pepper relish, both sweet, and hot.  The easiest method IMO is to dehydrate.  I dry a lot of my peppers, some smoked, some not.  From there you can store them whole, or you can grind them into chili powder.  Stored in a sealed bag, or container they will last for years like this.

Why we grow them as perennials...   I enjoy getting the occasional peppers they put out during the winter months. I also like that my house plants are more then just decoration.  They sit alongside our indoor herb garden, and we enjoy having a bit of greenery to look at when the rest of our world looks like a black and white photo during the long winters.

We absolutely save seeds, and to date have never had a problem with cross pollination, or have we noticed any genetic drift with the few hybrids we grow.  Just try and let a few peppers reach full maturity, and use those to fill your seed bank.  Also, make sure you let them dry well before storing them.  Even though we save seeds, we still enjoy the load a bowl, and bust out the seed catalog method.  It's always fun to try something new.

I think I got everything, if not ask again :)

Edited by Juthro, 20 January 2022 - 03:49 PM.

• StrayDogWanders likes this

#7 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 10:04 PM

Thank you kind sir.
Hahaha Haze and caffeine beverages….the ideas started flowing.

❤StrayDog
  • Juthro likes this

#8 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:56 PM

83308967-3BE0-4E7E-A588-0E5A90335BED.jpeg

7 count - at least 1 of each
Firs two popped 1-28
  • Juthro and ElPirana like this

#9 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 05:23 AM

How long do they need to stay on the heat mat cs normal range ambient air temp indoors? I want to move the heat mat to the Moringa seeds. Will wait another couple days to see if the other 4 germinate before I do anything.

#10 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:52 AM

Gotta love a companion….”my buddie…my buddie”

BF7A63D2-FDDA-48E0-8A81-6BA44D3BE4A8.jpeg
  • Juthro and ElPirana like this

#11 StrayDogWanders

StrayDogWanders

Mycophiliac