28 replies to this topic

#21 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,152 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2022 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, those sugars are usually my big downfall.  I've been doing good lately, no sugars since November...until this last week.  couple birthdays and I did have some cake and other deserts, but I feel like I'm in a good place now that I won't have any problem with it.  I do sense the cravings though.

The first time I tried to stop eating sugar altogether was a few years ago.  I did it more as an experiment to see how the cravings and desires come and go rather than for a health reason.  I think I went three months of absolutely no sugar and it was definitely interesting to see how the cravings rise and fall.  And it took some time for the cravings to cease.  One week is NOT enough lol.  After several weeks I finally stopped craving most of the time.   Eventually I did go back to eating sugar.

I had cut sugars again a few times since then, but always went back.  Sometimes I would think about cutting out sugar and would go week after week of giving in.  I just decided not to be hard on myself, figured it wasn't the right time.  This last time, I didn't even really make a decision to stop, I just didn't eat sugar one day, then again the next, and so on.  After a few days, I started to realize that I hadn't been consuming sugars, so just kept it up.

It really does feel good once the period of cravings subsides.  Feels more balanced.  Now I have a problem of not eating enough calories though.  I've been shedding weight all this time, not on purpose.  I'm 6' 3" and am down into the 150's (pounds). 

I just did a short fast. And put up with a few headaches as I quit coffee  at the same time - but its a quick way to get the junk out of the system.

I quit coffee too.  I used to drink way too much.  On the weekends I started getting horrible headaches and realized it was because I wasn't drinking coffee on the weekend.  I very slowly phased it out.  The funny thing is that I don't get sleepy during the day now that I don't drink coffee.  I remember it was common for me to get tired during the day and I would go get an extra cup of coffee to help wake up again.  That caffein and sugar really have ways to hook us!

• FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#22 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2022 - 11:07 AM

Funny you mention sugar becoming syrup in the coffee. 1-2 cups black coffee a morning. Maybe once a year a froo-froo drink, which may just be some thick sugared/whipped cream on top of a cold brew.

Sugar and holidays sucks. This year I may try and limit or cut them out. Cookies, candy, drinks, you know...

I'm trying to prevent the inevitable burn out of my beta cells in my pancreas, or Da Beetus. Even dementia is most likely Type 3 Beetus. 

Roostah, in the mornings you hop right out of bed or lay there? Do you get dizzy/lightheaded/see spots? Or is it just that sudden, "shit I'm gonna yak".

Dizzy most likely low blood pressure (I get this, my shits lowwwww). Sickness most likely need a hit of sugar. Some stuff with cortisol that's really hard to find good info on too.

I "lucked out", got bit by a tick 20 years ago and ever since avoid red meat. I can even get sick off of bullion. Vension, lamb, goat, whatever. Good raw fish occasionally for "red meat"

I can't give up fish, I'll need a pond or to learn to fly. Chicken and cheese are kinda my main proteins. I like fats and protein. My brain is wired for carbs and quick food with the frontal issues. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 February 2022 - 11:09 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#23 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2022 - 04:26 PM

Roostah, in the mornings you hop right out of bed or lay there? Do you get dizzy/lightheaded/see spots?

I usually hop right out and I feel fine. I would say when I was getting that nausea it would be after an hour or so of being awake, suck down a green tea or two. The feeling passes in like thirty seconds so I never put too much deep thought into it. That was back when I was taking less care of my body though too, it seems to have gone away but then again I have not drank a ton of green tea lately either. 

The low blood pressure thing might be going on in a different regard. I have my suspicions about covid. It seems better lately now that I think about it, but for a while  after I would get the odd light headed feeling from getting up off my knees to quick. I probably should go get my blood pressure checked out and realistically make a visit to the doctor to see if I have any lingering effects that I am unaware of. There is always the chance that I am eating too much sodium now, not sure if that effects it high or low but that is something else I need to think about.

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 14 February 2022 - 04:27 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#24 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 04:49 PM

Some drug store/pharmacies have free blood pressure set ups, a machine with chair. And digital BP wrist cuffs are affordable.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#25 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2022 - 04:55 PM

There is one across my backyard hahaha. Literally 100 ft away.

#26 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:20 PM

I am also working on improving my breathing, as experimenting with slower and deeper breathing has proved to me,

(by monitoring with my blood pressure cuff),
that:  slower and deeper breathing does lower blood pressure, improving the results beyond what diet alone can do.
So I devote substantial time, to practicing a healthier breathing pattern.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#27 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:32 AM

I am also working on improving my breathing, as experimenting with slower and deeper breathing has proved to me,

(by monitoring with my blood pressure cuff),
that:  slower and deeper breathing does lower blood pressure, improving the results beyond what diet alone can do.
So I devote substantial time, to practicing a healthier breathing pattern.

Have you tried making your exhale 5 or 6 times longer than your inhale? Like breath in deep but not particularly slow, then exhale really slow whilst maybe saying to your self "Ex hale slowly for deep relax ation"

#28 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:08 PM

Yeah from what I was told all you have to do is make you exhale longer than your inhale and you can slow your heart rate down. When I remember it is a trick I try to do when laying down to sleep. It does seem to help quite a bit

#29 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:24 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I think anything that is an improvement on unaware automatic shallow breathing helps. They say if one watches babies breathing, one sees the diaphragm moving more freely so that the abdomen moves as well as the chest. Increasing the exhale is also nice if one can do it with increasing tension.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!