• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:28 AM

Hello, I want to grow using the mushroom substrate in the jar method, however, I can't really do that growing method right at this time. Can anyone give me some good advice and Teks using Mushroom Grow Bags?  Thank You all in advance

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 02:00 AM

There are various ways to use bags so not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, an interesting read non the less though.
https://mycotopia.ne...fficial-thread/
  • Baphom3t, MicroMycoMan, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#3 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 882 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2022 - 06:21 PM

Fruiting Substrates in Ziploc/Ziplock Fruiting Chambers (FC) - Fungi: Magic Mushrooms - Mycotopia

Similar to the Sand bags, I've ran 1 gallon Zips, I believe @fahtster runs 2 gallon.  These are great for smaller projects and testing out genetics. 

https://mycotopia.ne...nigma-grow-log/

One of my favorites (since I'm a Unicorn 3T Bag Freak), if you want to go Grow Bag style, which I've been experimenting with lately, PE and Pans.  

MushL 

• fahtster and YoshiTrainer like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2022 - 07:15 PM

I've been using fungus filter patch bags from various sources and have had success with all of them.

Multiple species, multiple substrates, various growing time frames from just over a week to just over a year (depending upon species)

Bag growing rules.......IMHO

A

• Baphom3t and MushLuvR like this

#5 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:04 PM

Bags? I've heard something about these "bags" you speak of.

What do you mean you can't do jars right now? Like you cant do them right? Or is it a space thing?

I only ask because bags considerably more easy to mess up than jars. They are big and tricky to inoculate successfully in a SAB (technique) And take longer to sterilize.

But their rewards are sexy and mysterious. 

• coorsmikey, Arathu, bezevo and 1 other like this

#6 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:58 AM

My first grow, and only thus far, was with bags. They were two part, medium and substrate? Forgive me, been awhile since I've used my mycology terminology and it was small then.

But you inoculate them, and once it colonizes you mix the contents, wait for recolonization and begin fruiting. Well according to the directions anyway.

I'd started with one bag, and after a couple mistakes thought I'd killed it but crumbles it down inside a small tub and got a few flushes.

After thinking I'd killed the 1st bag, I'd ordered a 2nd and started on it after the 1st finished. It's supposed to be able to fruit in bag, but such a small bag seemed limiting so once colonized I cut the plastic away and fruited it in an FC.

Overall I was fairly happy with my bag experience, but if I try my hand again, I think I'd look at a tub style grow. Maybe a jar based tek, but I don't want to do big batches. That's what attracted me to the bags I used, they were small compared to others.

Any who, I share because I was the FNG here not too long ago and not too many, if any that I recall, were pro bag. Although since I have seen a few posts, such as dude mentioning Zip-Locs below 

• BirdsArentReal and MushLuvR like this

#7 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

When we agree about our hallucinations we call that reality.

• VIP
  • 857 posts

Donator

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:47 AM

I have done bag grows and they are fun and very effective. The worse part is fruiting. IME, I always have some that decide they wanna grow down instead of up.
Is this your first grow, or do you have any previous grows?

• MushLuvR likes this

#8 BirdsArentReal

BirdsArentReal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:49 PM

While we're on the subject, has anyone just sterilized hydrated grain with a good ratio of substrate in a unicorn bag together? Inoculate it, let it colonize then introduce fruiting conditions? I'm sure this isnt revolutionary but idk why I've never thought of it. I've tried just opening up bags of grain to fruiting conditions but never had any luck with it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!