Fisana

- - - - -

making a flowhood [merged]

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_eraupe_*

Guest_eraupe_*

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

After numerous failures due to bacterial contamination, and a serious interest in growing edibles, I am looking into building a flowhood. But first, I have a few questions.

In searching for a blower for the hood the only place I can find that sells squirrel cage blowers new, online, is www.grainger.com, but they are charging much more than I can afford for a motor/blower setup. Is there any place else (other than good ol' Ebay) where I can find a moter/blower at a better price? Anybody got an extra one lying around?

What size HEPA filters do those of you with flowhoods have? I am thinking of going with either a 12"x12" or a 12"x24". Will the 12"x"12" be absolutely too small? Also, does the thickness of the HEPA filter matter? (they make them in 6" and 11" thicknesses)

Does it make a difference whether or not I mount the prefilter in the box right behind the HEPA, or outside of the box, on the blower? How often do you have to change your pre-filters? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

-Eraupe

#2 carpo4

carpo4

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:50 AM

What size HEPA filters do those of you with flowhoods have?

12" x 24"

Will the 12"x"12" be absolutely too small?

12" x 24" seems to be the standard.
it may well be possible to get away with just a 12" x 12"
but unless you're really cramped for space
i don't think it's worth the risk.

Also, does the thickness of the HEPA filter matter? (they make them in 6" and 11" thicknesses)

6" will be sufficient.
the hepa i use has only 2" of hepa material (!)
but it is different in design to the usual hepas i see posted
being a specialized laminar flow unit
with very narrow pleats.

Does it make a difference whether or not I mount the prefilter in the box right behind the HEPA, or outside of the box, on the blower?

i do both!
but one in front of the blower is sufficient.

How often do you have to change your pre-filters?

this will depend on the amount of use the flowhood receives
and how clean the air is in the working environment in the first place.
rodger gave some parameters for this
but i can't trace them at the moment.

#3 Guest_eraupe_*

Guest_eraupe_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:21 AM

I thought I had already read over all the flowhood threads in the archives a few times, but there were two or three in there that were very helpful as far as sourcing components. I guess I overlooked them before? Or maybe they were newer additions. Either way, thanks Hip!

I am sort of trying to shoot for portability in building a flowhood, as it will have to be moved long distances several times throughout the year. Is the average 12"x24" flowhood portable? Approx. how heavy is it? Can one person easily carry a flowhood of this size? Thanks.

-Eraupe

#4 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:50 AM

One person can carry a 12 x 24 filter, but it's a handful. I simply use duct tape to attach a 'super allergen' furnace filter to the intake of the flow hood. I've been using the same pre filter for a few years now without changing it. Remember, the dirtier a filter is, the better it filters. When flow is restricted, it's time to replace.

Go to just about any heat and air shop in your town, and chances are they have several old furnaces rusting behind the shop. You can probably get the squirrel cage fan for ten bucks or so. If you get a blower that is too powerful, you can either get a speed controller, or simply block off part of the intake to restrict the flow.
RR

#5 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

yup
HVAC shops throw away fans every day
usualy you just have to get to the dumpster early before the metal scrap guys get there in the AM

#6 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

Alright ladies and gents...I'm moving soon, to a spot with space, enough space for a flowhood. Everyone says 'just build one,' but having no tools or time to mess with it leaves me without the option to do that. So where have you all bought one? And what do you think? And how much did you spend? Help a brother out...

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:44 PM

I'd check

www.fungiperfect.com

#8 Guest_unclefester_*

Guest_unclefester_*

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:02 PM

I got my hepa & blower from a 'topiate, so I can't quote a bought-hood price.
All in all, mine ran me about $400-450 what with wood, paint, caulk, more paint, way too many screws, some brackets, and of course the filter & blower.

It was a pain in the ass, it's ugly as sin, and it has a stripped screw in the bottom I need to Dremmel off. It didn't even take that long, except for my repeated drives to/from Home Depot & Sears. It's the Life Cube, a 2x2x2 thing of wonder with a hunk of metal breathing into the top. If I had it to do again, I would. I'd just do it prettier. And not be stoned. That's a biggie.

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:13 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha..... I know what you mean. Coordination is rare in that situation.

450.00 FOR A HOME MADE FLOW HOOD??? HOLY SHIT!!!!! I will stick to the oven TEK, thank you. The savings will buy a whack of syringes..............

Oh yea, I don't have any idea where to buy a flow hood. I was going to say build one but not now! LOL

#10 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:40 PM

well, the oven tek has been proven to be useless in contam prevention...

#11 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

all you need is wood, a filter (the most expensive item, imo) and a blower
i built a shell that is 22 x 18. i have a 265 fantech and need a filter which i intend to purchase some day. I believe it will run $150.

anyway, here's the tek i followed. i simply added 6 inches to account for the larger filter

http://www.mycotopia...icle.php?22.255

#12 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

Whatever flow hood you get, you can extend the life many times over by simply duct taping a prefilter to the intake. The prefilter will take out all the dust and dirt, hair, gnats, etc from the air so it doesn't get inside and stop up your hepa. I use the series one from fungi.com.
RR

Attached Thumbnails

• flow hood 003a.jpg

#13 kingstrrophariad

kingstrrophariad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:29 PM

im interested in building a flow-hood, i know about fungi perfectis stuff but is there anywheres i can buy the blower and hepa cheaper. i use agar exsclusivley, i dont do any mutli-spore inoculations so i always am doing petri work and have had to resort to anti-biotic stuff which i assume probaly isnt the best for mycelium.

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:41 PM

Ebay has all that shit King. Great industrial grade blowers for about
$50. Filters. The whole 9 yards. I too am going to build one soon. I've been looking and they really have some good deals. Also check for flow hoods all ready to go. There on there from time to time for under $200 with a filter.

#15 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the input my friends...:) Like I said tho...I'm not building shit...:) I've got too much school and work. And I gotta move. And I really have to build a greenhouse. So I'd rather buy a damn flowhood..:) The series one looks pretty reasonable Rabbit...maybe I'll check that one out..if anyone knows of others...

#16 TripTout

TripTout

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:41 AM

I'll be able to input what I think of the Series 1 when my new blower comes. I thought that something tricky about building a flowhood would be getting the right amount of static pressure for the filter. Is this not a big deal? Can you pretty much just mount a blower on top of a box with a filter and have a flowhood?

#17 fungi4all

fungi4all

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

I am going to make a flowhood and have been shoping for a filter. I ran across this one and it got me thinking. I am wondering why a fellow couldnt put a vent pipe on the end of a squirrel cage, attaching the other end to the back of this filter. You could then enclose the filter in a box for your work area, the way they are usualy done. This would make the fan detachable and make the flowhood much smaller and easiier to move than the conventional ones.

I guess the question is: does anyone think that this filter is good enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

wow,
that's different.
doesn't say what size fan you'd need nor if the flow is laminar...
but i can't honestly give an expert opinion
as i've not seen one like it before.
:smokin:
  • Earthling likes this

#19 fungi4all

fungi4all

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:29 PM

here is another one. this one has a fan attached already. Talked to the owner and he said that he has no way to test flow. He told me he could sell me a 24"x24" with fan for $150. if fan is strong enough you would just have to slap some sides on it and your done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...0QQcmdZViewItem

any thoughts?

#20 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:57 PM

Best prices I could find online for true true %99.99/.3micron HEPA:

http://www.filtera-b...ilters/hepa.htm

If it's not a true %99.99/.3micron then you are just blowing contaminants into your workspace...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!