• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2022 - 06:50 PM

Okay, almost universal. Won't work with non-standard keyways but those are a small minority of cuffs in use.

Here ya go:

So if you want to make a key which would be good for SERE or safety escape or even backup purposes (good for emergency services to have on hand), get a Smith & Wesson key and modify it by shortening the bit, cutting a split in it & widening the hole slightly.

The split does not need to be exactly 0.3mm, it can be much wider, even 1mm. The key is the 2.9-3mm width and a split in the middle. The widening of the hole (use a needle diamond file) helps it to fit in cuffs with fatter key posts. They are a truly AMAZING handcuff key.

In a pinch you can modify any "standard" handcuff key, but the height might not be 5.5mm, meaning you have to be VERY careful with Kyung Chang cuffs not to over-turn else the key will get stuck in the cuff and malfunction, but over all will be a MUCH more compatible key.

For #locksport a @toool ultimate handcuff key is HIGHLY compatible. Out of all of my handcuffs, it opens 77% of them. If you take out non-standard keyways (which would NEVER work with a "standard" key form-factor) then it works on 100% of my collection.

https://twitter.com/...131117093466114

handcuffkey.jpg

handcuffkey2.jpeg

• Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:32 PM

Do you think this will work for my set of fuzzy cuff's ?

:)

• TVCasualty and rockyfungus like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:55 PM

Sure, but only if whomever is cuffed remembers the safe word. :ohmy:

• Juthro likes this

#4 RiseUp

RiseUp

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:10 PM

After being handcuffed I'll set myself free and run approximately 50' at a full out dash only decreasing drastically and falling on my face at 60'. It was a moment of hope though.

Viva la France!

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:21 PM

I think the biggest trick here is not to get handcuffed in the first place....  :)

• TVCasualty likes this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2022 - 02:11 PM

I think the biggest trick here is not to get handcuffed in the first place....  :)

True, but as the wise bumper sticker says, "Shit Happens."

As the world seems to be becoming a bunch of competing literal or de facto police states, having a modified key stashed in a little custom-sewn pocket under your belt at the back where your hands would be when cuffed is just basic prudence.

A friend of mine showed me how to pick cuffs with a paperclip and told me about the time he was on a prison bus and popped his cuffs with one he had in his mouth that got passed around the bus. At some point the guard looked back and saw all the "secure" inmates hanging out obviously un-cuffed (some were smoking, lol). The driver slammed on the brakes and as the bus was coming to a stop he said you could hear the clicks of the cuffs being put back on so everyone was securely locked up again before the guard went back to check their restraints (breaking out of them is a big no-no). This was a few decades ago, not sure how that would go nowadays.

• Juthro likes this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2022 - 02:24 PM

If you are really trying to make the cops nervous...........

I found out the hard way once that not everyone can step over their cuffed hands and bring them in front of the body instead of being behind the back.

I had been detained for suspected DUI some years ago. Had been placed, cuffed, in a paddy wagon of some pretty hard individuals. There was no cage preventing interaction of the detainees - things got violent - and I stepped over my cuffs to prepare to defend myself.

Once the altercation was noted by police, the doors were opened and everyone was brought out of the vehicle. An officer noticed my cuffs were in front and asked me who did it (a bit excitedly and angrily). I responded by demonstrating that I could step over them - and placing my hands behind my back again. I then asked, "Other people can't do that?" - - Apparently not.

So I could keep a handcuff key - pretty much anywhere. The cuff of the pant leg seems a good place. ;)

And to Juthro's point......It's best not to be cuffed in the first place.

But there's nothing wrong with having a good backup plan just in case.

• TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2022 - 03:43 PM

I'm still flexible enough to do that, too (I checked).  I saw an episode of Cops where someone did it and the cops were not amused at all, lol.

Another thing that might work in a pinch is to roll your wrists around to put the chain links under tension (assuming it's the kind with a chain linking the cuffs) which makes it a lot easier to break. You'll still have awkward bracelets on but your hands will be free.

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2022 - 05:42 PM

Being super flexible has never been one of my attributes, there is no way I could ever have done that with out dislocating something first.  I would have a much better chance at breaking the cuffs then trying to step though them.   

I'm a bit bigger then then the average inmate, and during a short term incarceration some 35 years ago they had to get the set of big boy manacles out of storage to take me from holding to the court house, cuz the little girly ones they had wouldn't fit....lol.   (true story)  BTW, FUCK YOU POLK COUNTY!!! (sorry, a bit of a flashback)

Anyway, I cant help it, I've always been built more like a lineman then a running back.  It would be pretty difficult to get a set on me without some cooperation on my part, but where, and how I live my life these days makes that pretty much a moot point.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!