• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 triphazard636

triphazard636

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:24 AM

I have two 5 pound bags of a horse dung based substrate. I have to put together a few mono tubs and was wondering, would I be risking anything if I split the dung into 2-1/2 lbs portions and mixed it with the coco/verm substrate and tossed it back in the pressure cooker. I gotta get these tubs going and don’t have time to wait for an order to be delivered. the coco/verm on it’s own works good but not as good as dung. I figure a little dung is better than no dung
  • coorsmikey likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:32 AM

Sounds like a good substrate recipe to me. I rarely use just dung by itself and like to add coir and vermiculite to help loosen the mix up a bit. Cow dung can get quite muddy so this addition is essential in my opinion.

I would not pressure cook the mix but would, instead, pasteurize the substrate using a pillow case or laundry bag. You want the valuable microbes which are in the horse manure to go to work and assist your fungal cultivars in their efforts.

For 2.5 pounds of substrate I would pasteurize for 3 hours at 135 - 145*F.

Squeeze out the excess water and allow the substrate to cool.

Lay it out in a tub and inoculate with colonized spawn.

#3 triphazard636

triphazard636

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 03:37 PM

I suppose in that case I could just mix the two as I go. The dung is already to go in sealed bags with the filter patch all i’ll need to do is prep the coco/verm and add each portion as I assemble the tubs.

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2022 - 05:46 PM

You did not make it clear that you had already "prepped" the manure.

Sorry but if that is the case - you have sterilized horse manure - my advice is useless. Best of luck with your efforts. If you add anything to the sterilized horse manure that is not sterilized and spawned in a laminar airstream or glovebox............your mileage will vary.

• coorsmikey likes this

#5 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 01:28 AM

Sounds like a good substrate recipe to me. I rarely use just dung by itself and like to add coir and vermiculite to help loosen the mix up a bit. Cow dung can get quite muddy so this addition is essential in my opinion.

I would not pressure cook the mix but would, instead, pasteurize the substrate using a pillow case or laundry bag. You want the valuable microbes which are in the horse manure to go to work and assist your fungal cultivars in their efforts.

For 2.5 pounds of substrate I would pasteurize for 3 hours at 135 - 145*F.

Squeeze out the excess water and allow the substrate to cool.

Lay it out in a tub and inoculate with colonized spawn.

I used to pillow case my sub but after another member pointed out that pasteurizing in boiling water leaches out nutrients I changed gears. Now I do a double boiler set up, the sub goes into a disposable turkey roasting pan then that goes into a big ass slow roaster floating on water to even out the heat. I don't have to worry about drying the sub out in an oven that won't go low enough. The temp is relatively easy to control with a remote alarm thermometer stuck in the middle of the sub. Occasionally you can find the roasters at thrift stores relatively inexpensively.

#6 triphazard636

triphazard636

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:06 AM

Sorry for the lack of Clarification the manure came from a reputable supplier. I haven’t done anything in the preparation of that. the coco/verm is the the only thing that hits the pressure cooker. That’s why I asked I’ve never prepped my own manure substrate so I didn’t know if I mixed the two if I would have to cook them again. As for the coco/verm I mix them according to the recipe I have seal them in the grow bags and pressure cook them at 15psi for 90 minutes. doing the coco/verm that way has worked good for me but I have never mixed the two substrates together.

You did not make it clear that you had already "prepped" the manure.
Sorry but if that is the case - you have sterilized horse manure - my advice is useless. Best of luck with your efforts. If you add anything to the sterilized horse manure that is not sterilized and spawned in a laminar airstream or glovebox............your mileage will vary.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!