• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

hey guys just wondering what would be best to innoc with 1/2 pint jars if you have fully colonized ones, half gallon jars or substrate? or gallon jars? also, how much of a half pint jar would one want to use to innoc these size jars? I wouldnt have a problem letting them sit a while, i wanna do like 6 or so of the big jars so i can have a lot os spawn on hand. thanks in advance!
-temp

#2 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:40 AM

As far as I know each jar of spawn can be multiplied by 5, so I would put 1 (1/2 pint) in a gallon jar.thats just an estimate but Im sure it'll work.Im assuming your talking about a G2G transfer.

#3 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

the 1/2 pint should be broken up tho right? thinking bout just taking some kind of razor, slicing it up into a few pieces and throw it in, nothing too extreme, dont wanna risk more contam by puree'in the colonized 1/2 pints

#4 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:51 AM

the 1/2 pint should be broken up tho right? thinking bout just taking some kind of razor, slicing it up into a few pieces and throw it in, nothing too extreme, dont wanna risk more contam by puree'in the colonized 1/2 pints

Yes the substrate should be broken up the smaller the better cause it'll give you more nocc points,but a few good chunks will be good also. Ive used a cheese grater to shred the sub when I use PF formula to spawn with.Th transfer is the most volitile part of the process,your cake should be able to fight of any airborn contam,its more the freshly Pc'd jar to worry about. The transfer should be done in a glovebox.

#5 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

could cake be grated in open air??? thanks!

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

I grate mine in open air,I turn on the oven or burner for a lil heat to help fight off some airborn things that could be flying around,just dont get too close to the heat with your myc or you risk killing it. IME the myc is strong enough to fight off any airborn contams..As long as your house isnt filthy nor full of trich spores.

#7 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

i know with grains you can add peroxide also to the new grains to help fight off contams also. the living myc can survive the h202 if im not mistaken. im not too sure about brf cakes though.

maybe sterilize a spoon and use it to cut up the cake as you scoop it out of the jar into the new jar. cut n scoop as fast as possible to lower the time that contams have to infiltrate. that would be my suggestion.

hope it works out for you

#8 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:31 PM

I've used 4 PC'd 500's of popcorn spawned with one 500, and loaded the mix into two 1L jars. Frees up 500ml jars, and I can't fit the 1L's in my PC anyway; it's use them for spawning or inefficient Chronic tek.

Take a day and build a glovebox Tempest2003. It's not difficult, just time consuming, and you get a valuable tool. Get yourself a large styrofoam cooler, household rubber gloves, duct tape, and a specially cut piece of glass or clear plastic for the lid that fits a hole you'll make in the original lid, and you're set. I wouldn't spawn without, not with all the rugs in my place!

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

I've got a 1 gallon pickle jar that i'm using for spawn. I'm going to pc it today and then a G2G for some multispore grains that are drying out. I'll let you know how it goes and i'll show ya soon. I would stay away from using any peroxide in grains. It's going to slow you way down. I've got 8 large casings going with the use of only 1 multispore 1qt jar of grains. I took the 1qt. multispore and then G2G'd to 20 more qts of grain. After they fully colonized, I spawned straw/poo/coir. It's pretty easy to really extend your spawn, but you need to get yourself a gloove box.

Attached Thumbnails

• g2goi.jpg

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

Here's the 1 gallon pickle jar of wbs. It was pc'd @ 15psi for 2 hours and then a g2g from a qt of dried up spawn.

Attached Thumbnails

• gallonjar.jpg

#11 kenniey2005

kenniey2005

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:22 PM

I can get big bags of it for like Under 4 bucks ... Is there anyways to you this for mushrooms ? If so what types will grow on it ?

#12 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Woodloving psilocybes like cyans, subbs and azures...
depending on the type of hardwoods used in the mulch.

#13 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

I use it all the time for cubes....as a coir substitute ,,mixed with manure or worm poo ...If u screen out the chunks and let the dry fiberous part soak up the poo goo - the mycelium will love it...Shitaki colo well on HW mulch
as does ps. azurescens...Ganoderma, also a wood lover did not do that great though...

#14 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

Im gonna be using the tek like in the strawnet tek in the photo section.
I will be using a closet grow room with ultra sonic.
My Q is during the the spawn run 'colonized grain' to 'strawnet substrate' should i cover the tubs with plastic and if so should it be perferated, or do i just put them in the grow room uncovered?

#15 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

Cover them. If you use plastic you should poke some holes in it. You can also use wax paper. Just lay it over the tray.

#16 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

personaly i would cover it with tin foil then poke a few holes with a toothpick ever 4-5in.. as it allows better air exchange then plastic wrap.. and keeps light off the substrait.. which should keep it from pinning prematurly
LOST

#17 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

Thanks,also ive read about using a layer of mostly colonized grain mixed with poo or what ever substrate it may be to cover the top of the spawned substrate to protect it from contams as it will colonize the top quiker sealing it off,what do you think of this?

#18 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

I think it is best to mix the spawn as throughly as possible and keep it well covered (3-5 small holes for ventilation). At 84F-86F, your substrate will be completely run in just a few days. As long as you keep bad air off of it and sterilize/pasteurize, you should be just fine.

I like to drill little holes in the tupperware lid then duct tape tyvek over them.

Thinking about it, I believe a "pure spawn" top layer would actually be more likely to contaminate. After you beat up the grain, it is succeptible to invaders for a few days until it recovers. I think exposed grain would be better contaminant food than poo/coir/verm substrate. That's pure speculation, however.

#19 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

I think most would agree with you, buckaroo. Although I have heard of people doing this with success I would not reccommend it.

Thinking about it, I believe a "pure spawn" top layer would actually be more likely to contaminate. After you beat up the grain, it is succeptible to invaders for a few days until it recovers. I think exposed grain would be better contaminant food than poo/coir/verm substrate. That's pure speculation, however.

#20 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:19 AM

The other day while cleaning gathering up jar for this year's grow, I found 4 viable Florida Pan Can jars, and 2 Mex A, except no stones.

Anyway, a couple of the pan cans have started to turn yellow, so I know these probally can't be used, but I wonder if the ones that are white still could be used for a G2G. Also, the Mex A never produced any stones, and have grown out to the point where one is beginning to turn yellow, bummer.
The latter aren't in a very warm place.

I'm very tempted to do a G2G with some of these jars, except I don't want to waste the effort of putting the G2G jars together if the cultures are too old for transfer. Additionally, I have the above cultures growing in Karo, but these are growing out exceedingly slow. I'm open to suggestions. Use the old grown out cultures, or wait another month (the pace these karo cultures are going) to start another grow with each culture? Please advise.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!