Photo
- - - - -

grain spawn questions

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

If you have a little extra time try the G2G. How old is the growth in the jars?

#22 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

I would spawn to bulk and fruit. I have heard old spawning grain to new bulk sub gives potent shrooms.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

there's yer sign-
the exceedingly slow growth.
expect that to continue.

#24 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:37 PM

Hey everyone, with spring time comming and all I thought maybe I should bring up 'G2G' for some of the new members who may not know about it.
G2G is an excellent way of turning one jar of colonized grain into many more in just a matter of days, and hey, you could turn those jars into many many many more if you felt ambitious enough:)
So lets get prepared for some outdoors grows people! We love seeing pictures of our beloved fruits out in nature. G2G is a great tool in helping you get enough spawn for some nice outdoor beds.
Spend a little time reading up and see how easy it is:)
http://mycotopia.net...html?1106231232
Good luck!!

#25 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

I've done a lot of g2g. I brake up colonized grains inside growbag, to be transferred to trays. When filling trays, I save a small part of the grain in the bag and transfer it to a number of zip-bags, maybe 20-50 grains per bag, and keep them in the fridge.
When the time comes, I prepare new bags of grains and empty (in the most sterile environment available) a zip-bag into a sterilizing solution(I've used NaOH, but H2O2 is probably the most common and maybe even a bleach-dip could do the trick), then transfer it to growbags with a clean spoon or fork, then seal the growbag and incubate it.
Growth can usually be seen already after 24hours, and after 3days, the myc has grown to appr. golf-ball size around the transferred grains. Then I carefully break it up inside the bags and mix it around inside. 3more days and the bags looks 99%. I usually waits another week to be sure its 100%.
In this way you can make a lot of colonized grain in no time. I've used zipbags that have been in the fridge for over ½ a year that worked fine. This method also allows one to skip the process of making a spore syringe everytime, although it compromises sterility some, working with open growbags and transfer to zipbags etc.

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

good idea, rev.

#27 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

although it compromises sterility some

Probably best to do it in a glovebox or in front of a flowhood.
I just put a quart jar of colonized grain in my glove box with seven more quart jars half filled with grain (hydrated, pc'd and cooled) of coarse. In the glovebox I have a spray bottle with a bleach solution and some paper towels.
I spray all the outside of the jars and wipe them down, then I just pour a little bit of colinized grain into each of other jars. Shake them up and incubate. It's hardly any work at all :)

#28 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:56 AM

good idea, rev.

:)

#29 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:43 PM

I agree, Great time to plan ahead now for Spring! G2G is a great way to get a lot of spawn in a short amount of time.

#30 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

Lazlo's gettin ready to do some G2G right at this moment..hehe

#31 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

G2G is the way to go for maximum spawn. Last year I went so far as to test the 20 to 1 ratio from a quart of colonized rye grass seed, and over 3/4 of those jars grew out, with only a couple that stalled, then stopped.

Bird seed seems to be good for 6-8 jars to one. Of course, a glove box is a must for making transfers. Clean well with alochol, gloves espically, spray 20/1bleach water solution inside, boil aluminun wraped spoon for 5 minutes, put everthing inside (jars, alochol, spoon, soaked paper towel to wipe spoon)close lid and wait 15 minutes+, then open colonized jar and remove tablespoon sized chunks into your waiting pc'ed jars.

Crunch up the chunks into smaller pieces when inside glovebox, as this will facilitate the growth. The more innoculation points the speadier the growth. Colonize on.

#32 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=2937

#33 Guest_Littlejohnnybiggums_*

Guest_Littlejohnnybiggums_*

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

Hello all.

Im wondering if any of you have had experience with the use of mulch ( the kind lawnscapers use all around the east coast ) Im not sure what type of mulch this is but it has a distinct smell when it is fresh. Theres tons and tons of it so...

Also, i looked in the news paper and theres a man offering horse manure (composted) for free, he is even willing to load your truck with it for you! What a nice man.

#34 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

I'm moving this to fungi forum, I think you'll get more response :)

Most mulch around here is cedar mulch, so if you can find out what type of mulch it is that would help you out.
Most hardwoods would be good I'd say.

And free manure by the truckload and you don't have to shovel it....OMG get a truck and start a compost pile :D

#35 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

Shredded hardwood mulch mixed with poo is easily as good as coir...
U just have to screen out the chunks ...The first 2 years ,all i ever used was mulch/worm poo for cubes...Lately been using coir to see what the difference is ...i guess coir is more convenient and thats about it....
here's a lil mound of wp/mulch fruiting some amazons...

Attached Thumbnails

• k.jpeg

#36 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:08 AM

Find out what it's made of. If it's cedar then I don't think you want it...

#37 Xexalexander

Xexalexander

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

I was wondering if corn (not poping corn) would be good to use in my spawning jars. (Mostly because i have a 130 bushels sitting in our garage.) I'm growing b+, and was planning on useing rye grain.But if corn will work I'll not wast the money.:eusa_danc

#38 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:56 AM

It will work well.

#39 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:57 AM

Here is a good p'corn conversation. http://mycotopia.net...&highlight=corn

#40 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders