5 replies to this topic

#1 Spunk

Spunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:21 PM

Hy
Those yellow dots were start to appear when I induced FAE, when I start to fan. They started like white spots so I thought that they are hyphal knots. But they started to yellow soon
Those mushrooms grow really slow
Any sugestions? Diagnosis?
Thanks

20220401_060031.jpg
  • TVCasualty likes this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:32 AM

I'd keep watching a little longer, it looks to me like you're getting one of those flushes that have a lot of hyphal blobs that resemble pins but never develop caps.

If that's the case then let it finish fruiting then go ahead and dunk it for the next flush. The blobs are undesirable but harmless (and active). You probably don't want to clone any tissue from that tray, though.

If the spots without caps start to look like they're spreading like trich or there's an off/nasty odor developing then it's contamination and should be disposed of (your tray is right on the edge where it still looks to me like it could go either way).

Some contaminants are yellow so it's possible it's contaminated, but the blobs without caps look almost the same color/hue of the pins and are spread across the surface just like the knots and pins. That makes me think they are probably mushroom blobs (for lack of a better word; I don't know if there's a technical term for it).

I would imagine that whether or not the tray is contaminated will be a lot easier to determine today (contamination tends to spread and stink up the place really quickly once it's already visible).

This post has a good close-up photo of some blobs on a substrate for comparison: https://mycotopia.ne...28#entry1498185

Edited by TVCasualty, 01 April 2022 - 07:40 AM.

• sandman, Microbe and Spunk like this

#3 Spunk

Spunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 09:46 AM

@TVCasualty
Thanks, you're probably right. It look similar...
But I have some uncertainty about the cause of the blobs
I got two more buckets with same problem. I use LC, and I succesfully made few grows with that same LC.
But there is alot of difference in procedure and substrate betwen succesfull and this problematic grow.

Before I used coco, verm, straw pellets, gypsum and after colonisation I put casing layer.

On this bloby grow i used coco, verm, gypsum. And i didnt use casing layer. Also i used new brand of coir

I allways use casing because Im lazy and not good in fine tunning of climate conditions. This time I decided to go with most simple way...
And this is what i got.

I have more jars in proces and i will make grow with casing. If everything finish ok, then is not problem with genetic. Its problem with my skills
  • TVCasualty likes this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2022 - 11:49 AM

Maybe try one or two of each (cased and uncased) to compare?

I've grown with casing layers and without and I've had occasional blobby flushes but there didn't seem to be a correlation between having a casing layer or not and getting blobs in my particular situation. I've had blobs on cakes, too.

What strain are you growing?

My suspicion is that it's primarily genetic since I'd get a lot of them every time (starting from spores) with my PF Classic strain (the one that came with the original PF Tek) but few with strains that didn't have various other morphological oddities.

PFC's are very close to PE in appearance and growth (they are funky looking). PFC throws out a massive pinset, produces lots of aborts and random blobs (and lots of very fat stems with underdeveloped caps), has slower colonization than most strains (but slightly higher yields after multiple flushes), and has noticeably higher potency than most other strains.

• Spunk likes this

#5 Spunk

Spunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:14 PM

Thanks
Koh Samui and it is quite potent. Everyone who eat them say the same.
It seems to me that these yellow spots have become fruits and that this genetics are slow in the creation of fruits. I'm not sure...
This brings me to the question
There is a process of shaping fruits. It starts with knots that turn into the primordia, then into pins and fruit bodies.
Does all process phases repeat in every flush?
Or maybe all knots form before first flush?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220405_202419.jpg

• TVCasualty and Arathu like this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:22 PM

I see new knots forming on subs after the first flush, especially on cakes where subtle changes are more obvious. I've also seen knots develop before the first flush that didn't grow into pins and mature mushrooms until the second (I harvest the first flush carefully to disturb the already-present knots as little as possible).

I suspect that mushrooms evolved to exploit both approaches so as to maximize their chances of successfully scattering their spores.

• Arathu, Spunk and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!