Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Drying Fruits. Are Dehydrator dried better than Air Dried?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 10:43 PM

I'd dry & store, after decrdrated to a crisp. Freeze em in double freezer bags t o be able to keep them safe.

Oh yes. This does sound rather the optimal way to go. Your optimism is encouraging. I suppose I could run my projects back to-back to increase my *output, but frankly I find far too many reasons to utilize them. Insomnia and cluster headaches aside-mood enhancement and ultimately a deeper, sound sleep are worthy goals.
Since I began I’ve been using cakes with exceptional consistency and am working up the nerve for a small monotub project. Another forum, for sure...

And Thanx for the help. Connecting with the folks here is one of my favorite *side-benefits of this particular hobby.
  • torn2bits likes this

#22 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 06:37 AM

UPDATE: I acquiesced and finally took delivery of my food dehydrator late yesterday.
I got it on amazon and somehow only paid $36~delivered. So not TOO bad. It listed at $69.99...
It’s got digital Settings for heat and timer up to like 24hours I think.
The closest I could get for “How to” was a heat setting of 50*C~ for between 6-12 hours or so.~But I personally think FreshFruits May take longer...Although the unit is brand new, it didn’t come with a manual or detailed time & temp guide. I dried all I had up this point, but as I’m in mid-flush(Es) I’ll wait to gather more Before going at it again.
I was so psyched to clean and try it, I used *semi-air dried* fruits I had laying around.... It’s got 5-Levels(Racks) and I got 42g* Dried...from 90g* Semi Dry....(Set at 50*C~7hrs)
But aside from the time it saves in drying from fresh to crispy, I can also dry apples & pears and have doggie treats as well, so I had to do it....Not crazy about beef jerky, so....

A huge Thank you to everyone who took the time and interest enough to comment here and share your insights & Opinions.
ALL OF IT really helped to inform me weigh the Pros & Coms of the whole *Drying, Loss of Potency and effect of light in tryptamine degradation, and arrive at the best decision for me.
The opinions on BOTH sides were priceless.
As a direct comparison and parallel to growing out Cannabis? EVERYONE I Know has *definitive advice on that.
But Nobody I could find, of those same weirdFolk knew anything about this.

Be well, folks.
Peace
  • bezevo likes this

#23 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 140 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2022 - 10:42 AM

I know a lot of folks worry about the heat from a dehydrator reducing potency, but I've never noticed that to be true when running a dehydrator around 155F.

When packing them for longer than a month or two ANY amount of moisture left in the fruits will destroy the effectiveness, so I don't take any chances.

I'll run them in the dehydrator for 48-72 hours then immediately vacuum seal with a brand new (or recently refreshed) desiccant packet for long term storage. 

Even though they may feel dry after 8-12 hours, I've found that they turn spongey after being stored a few months, and they are much weaker!

-MMM  

• roc, bezevo, Paradoc and 1 other like this

#24 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2022 - 09:10 AM

Crazy, all I do is air dry them in a dark dry closet for roughly 4 days, sometimes a little longer, but then I put the mush in a ziplock bag along with a few desiccant packets, shove them in a tupperware container with a lid, toss them back into the exact same closet and grab when wanted or needed.
I don't live in a dry arid area, I live in the Ohio valley region and it gets pretty humid here in the summer.

I've done it this way for over 10 years. I have fruits well over a year old that's been kept this same way and I have never had a noticeable loss in potency.
I keep shit as simple as possible.
What ever works for you is the way to go.

Crazy weather this year in Ohio huh?
  • Arathu and Baphom3t like this

#25 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

When we agree about our hallucinations we call that reality.

• VIP
  • 857 posts

Donator

Posted 10 April 2022 - 10:59 AM

Crazy, all I do is air dry them in a dark dry closet for roughly 4 days, sometimes a little longer, but then I put the mush in a ziplock bag along with a few desiccant packets, shove them in a tupperware container with a lid, toss them back into the exact same closet and grab when wanted or needed.
I don't live in a dry arid area, I live in the Ohio valley region and it gets pretty humid here in the summer.

I've done it this way for over 10 years. I have fruits well over a year old that's been kept this same way and I have never had a noticeable loss in potency.

Yeah, it sure has been. One day it's spring, the next day it's freaking spitting Graupel or snow and be like 38 degrees with winds of 30 - 45 MPH.
It's like spring is playing peek-a-boo.

• HrVanker and Microbe like this

#26 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2022 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, it sure has been. One day it's spring, the next day it's freaking spitting Graupel or snow and be like 38 degrees with winds of 30 - 45 MPH.
It's like spring is playing peek-a-boo.
Yep it was snowing yesterday and 60° today.

#27 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2022 - 02:09 PM

It all depends where you live, I'm Southern U
S.....get a dehydrator unless it's January
... February. Area. Specific.imho

Well well well......look who it is. What you been up to man?
  • Paradoc likes this

#28 torn2bits

torn2bits

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 05:35 PM

Microbe....
I tried to call mbrrs different.
I hope life's been good hit the DM's I sent ya a message. Great to know your good brother ~ToRn
  • Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!