• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 09:45 AM

Have any of you that have an ADHD diagnosis ever tried using Kratom to help with symptoms?
I'm not diagnosed (yet?) but have good reasons to believe I am ADHD Inattentive sub-type. I understand some stimulants are useful for some sufferers and was wondering if trying Kratom in an attempt to self medicate would be worthwhile. I've nothing to lose by trying as far as I can see*, but still interested to know if anyone has any experience of this to share.

I've been trying to find any Hamilton Morris stuff on the subject as seem to recall him discussing it previously but damned if my search skills have left me or something.

Thanks,
Cuboid.

*the dose I'd take would not be anywhere near what seems to be the levels where folks get into addiction issues with it.
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher, ClezeripLover and 2 others like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,438 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2022 - 11:28 AM

i have AADD    and i often take low doses of  Kratom  but not for AADD  ,i take it for pain .. it never occurred to me it might also help with AADD  ,i just know it gives me a slight boost  like coffee and reduces pain .. now of course i'm more focused with less pain and a  little more energy but it never occurred to me it might  be helping with the AADD .

hummm?

i only take one teaspoon once ot twice a day and not every day ...

i read about these very large doses  people take .

i could not do  that if i take more than a teaspoon full in about half hour i hurl and i am not a fan o vomiting .

bez

Edited by bezevo, 05 April 2022 - 11:33 AM.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and Cuboid like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,374 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2022 - 03:54 PM

I'll be interested in any feedback you get here Cuboid.

I am not ADHD myself, but I do use Kratom daily for pain like bezevo.

My guess is if there are beneficial effects for you, it would greatly be affected by the type of Kratom.

I myself prefer the White Horn or Maeng da for morning to daytime as I have found the White varieties to be a good middle point for not being overly "speedy". The Red varieties I like for evening or nighttime use as I have found they are more sedating, and I could sleep with them. 

I do not myself like the green varieties, as they feel very "speedy" to me, but my guess is those would be the best choices for you to try, perhaps with lower doses to start.

Another factor to consider is lower doses are more stimulating, whereas the same variety in higher doses is more sedating. If you wanted to try a variety to get a feel for what seems more helpful, one of the vendors I use offers a variety (you choose) of small sample packs that have around 6 tsps in them. I'll give you a link if you are interested.

Edited by Skywatcher, 05 April 2022 - 05:38 PM.

• Cuboid and RiseUp like this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 04:13 PM

i have AADD    and i often take low doses of  Kratom  but not for AADD  ,i take it for pain .. it never occurred to me it might also help with AADD  ,i just know it gives me a slight boost  like coffee and reduces pain .. now of course i'm more focused with less pain and a  little more energy but it never occurred to me it might  be helping with the AADD .

hummm?

i only take one teaspoon once ot twice a day and not every day ...

i read about these very large doses  people take .

i could not do  that if i take more than a teaspoon full in about half hour i hurl and i am not a fan o vomiting .

bez

Thanks for the reply bez,
In the past I went through phases of going pretty hard at the coffee and it would help get things done but I'd crash quite hard after, then in more recent years coffee just seems to make me (more) anxious, irritate my digestive system and water works, and degrade my sleep quality; so I mostly avoid it. How long have you known you are Adult ADD (which I think is the same 'condition' as ADHD Inattentive Subtype i.e. not the hyperactive subtype?) and is there anything you do find really helps with your symptoms? Either lifestyle/diet/therapy of any type/ medication etc. etc. ?

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 04:37 PM

I'll be interested in any feedback you get here Cuboid.

I am not ADHD myself, but I do use Kratom daily for pain like bezevo.

My guess is if there are beneficial effects for you, it would greatly be affected by the type of Kratom.

I myself prefer the White Horn or Maeng da for morning to daytime as I have found the White varieties to be a good middle point for not being overly "speedy". The Red varieties I like for evening or nighttime use as I have found they are more sedating, and I could sleep with them. 

I do not myself like the green varieties, as they feel very "speedy" to me, but my guess is those would be the best choices for you to try, perhaps with lower doses to start.

Another factor to consider, is lower doses are more stimulating, whereas the same variety in higher doses is more sedating. If you wanted to try a variety to get a feel for what seems more helpful, one of the vendors I use offers a variety (you choose) of small sample packs that have around 6 tsps in them. I'll give you a link if you are interested.

Thanks for the reply Skywatcher,

From what I have seen on the iternetz this evening you are right about 'white' being the most likely type. I've ordered a sample of White Indo Maeng Da from an importer here in the UK. I am planning on  making tea with just 1g to drink when I first get up and take it from there :)

I did try a sample of some red vein (?) Bali Kratom for non-sedating pain relief a couple of years ago, I jogged a 5K whilst on it and got a PB lol. Just a level tsp stirred into a hot drink IIRC. It'd make my mouth slightly numb and I remember feeling kinda OK on it as opposed to feeling shit which is my normal but for some reason remained cynical about using it regularly? I think I was worried I'd get too used it and then really miss it maybe. Anyway, I don't think I ever used enough to really find out fully how it affects me and I didn't have very clear intentions as to what I was trying to achieve at the time. So the self experiment coming up with the white will be more intentional/structured.

Would still love to hear more from other ADD / ADHD' ers who've any Kratom experience or any other helpful stuff to share. Working memory is a real hurdle for me, if I could improve that I think a lot of other stuff would be more manageable.

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,489 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2022 - 06:24 PM

I'm thinking one gram will not produce much of any effect, for pain or otherwise. Even people that use it lightly usually take a slightly heaping teaspoon full. Been using it for many years and only use a fairly heaped teaspoonful twice a day, and it helps immensely. I feel it also gives me a very focused effect, so very well could help symptoms I would think. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2022 - 01:06 PM

I think kratom is an amazing substance with a verity of beneficial uses, but like most substances it does not affect everyone the same way.  I've tried several different kinds, and found that personally it doesn't agree with me (unfortunately), though I've no doubt that the folks here that post they've received benefits from it are 100% sincere, and honest about their results.

IMO, it's worth trying for yourself, and seeing how it works for you.  I hope that it does what you want it to do, and if it doesn't that you find something that will help you.

Peace to you, and good luck friend.

Edited by Juthro, 06 April 2022 - 01:07 PM.

• Skywatcher and Moonless like this

#8 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 999 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2022 - 08:10 AM

I have sampled three different strains of kratom: Red, Green and White, over a period of two years while I was in college. I also have ADHD.

I mostly used it to relax at the end of the day, or paired with weed to chase a sedating and relaxing high with my friends. But I had known through online research that at lower doses Kratom can be stimulating and many people use Kratom for this reason exactly (Thai farmers using it as a stimulant or traditional doctors using it for patients weakened with illness).

On the first night I tried it with a friend we had different effects. She was very stimulated and ready to do something while I was extremely sedated and vomited. I tried to use it as a stimulating study aid at two tea spoon doses but I found it to be too sedating and really didn't help me focus all that much. Perhaps I need to take a much lower dosage.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2022 - 02:30 PM

I've got a friend with Adult ADHD - his doc booted him from his Adderal, told him adult ADHD doesn't exist.  He got by on some green kratom I donated to his cause for about six months, then found a different doc who just threw the meds at him, which was too bad, as he tends to abuse the Adderal, while the green kratom kept him straight ... Kratom isn't like methy-drugs - if you take more, it'll just make you feel like shit.

Green for the morning, yellow after lunch, red after work.  I do 1/2 teaspoon toss & wash and that's it.  Good stuff IMO  :)

soliver

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!