Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What is the best way to sterilize mushroom grow bags with Substrate inside of the bags

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 12:18 AM

I am going to order some mushroom grow bags loaded with substrate.  What is the best way to sterilize mushroom grow bags with Substrate inside of the bags? and what are best kind of mushroom grow bags to inoculate? Thank You in advance

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2022 - 01:18 AM

I haven't used pre-made stuff myself but I would imagine that it's sterilized already. If not, find pre-sterilized stuff and save yourself the headache.

If you're okay with sterilizing your own materials, I recommend just making your own. It's much cheaper per jar/bag, and you'll likely have plenty left over for future use.

I've only ever done PF Tek (Professor Fannaticus Technique) and dub-tubs using quarts of grain, so I'm not sure if bags are beginner-friendly. I'll let "the bag people" chime in on that front. But I would definitely recommend PF for beginners, from my own experience.

If you go the PF/BRF (Brown Rice Flour) route, you don't necessarily need to sterilize the cakes. Going the sterilization route, you'll need to invest in a PC (pressure cooker) that can achieve 15PSI of pressure, which rules out InstaPots (if I'm not mistaken). I have a Mirro 22qt that works well, but you could do some several pint jars at a time in a smaller/cheaper one. I think mine was $65 on Amazon a while back, may have been a sale.
  • wilspeak, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 2,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2022 - 08:59 AM

I agree, if you're ordering substrate in bags, it should be sterilized. For gourmets I do 4 4.5 pound bags for 2.5 hours at 15psi. With a 16qt presto cannier.
  • sandman, HrVanker, wilspeak and 3 others like this

#4 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 01:20 PM

I haven't used pre-made stuff myself but I would imagine that it's sterilized already. If not, find pre-sterilized stuff and save yourself the headache.

If you're okay with sterilizing your own materials, I recommend just making your own. It's much cheaper per jar/bag, and you'll likely have plenty left over for future use.

I've only ever done PF Tek (Professor Fannaticus Technique) and dub-tubs using quarts of grain, so I'm not sure if bags are beginner-friendly. I'll let "the bag people" chime in on that front. But I would definitely recommend PF for beginners, from my own experience.

If you go the PF/BRF (Brown Rice Flour) route, you don't necessarily need to sterilize the cakes. Going the sterilization route, you'll need to invest in a PC (pressure cooker) that can achieve 15PSI of pressure, which rules out InstaPots (if I'm not mistaken). I have a Mirro 22qt that works well, but you could do some several pint jars at a time in a smaller/cheaper one. I think mine was $65 on Amazon a while back, may have been a sale.

What I am asking is, some of the companies that sell mushroom grow bags with the substrate claim that it is already sterilized but I heard of stories of people getting contaminated mushroom grow bags, so what I meant to ask was can I still re-sterilize a mushroom grow bag with the substrate and not harm the mushroom grow bag with the substrate. Aslso I have done my own substrate in the pass, however right at this present time it would be easier for me to get pre-made bags.

#5 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 01:23 PM

I agree, if you're ordering substrate in bags, it should be sterilized. For gourmets I do 4 4.5 pound bags for 2.5 hours at 15psi. With a 16qt presto cannier.

I have done my own substrate in the pass, however right at this present time it would be easier for me to get pre-made bags. Is there anyway that I prepare the bags so the bags dont leak or get damaged during the sterilizing.  Thank You 

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 2,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2022 - 02:45 PM

When I run mine I use jar rings to add a little extra space for water. Bags get folded with the filter covered, bottom bags I fold the top a time or two and keep it on top of the bag, the bags on the top get the fold around the bottom. This idea is to keep the mouth of the bag above the water level.

The bottom bags get a sheet of parchment paper between the bag and the wall of the PC. Because I melted a couple once. The bags don't get sealed before the PC.

But, where are you getting your substrate? I Cant imagine shipping someone a substrate that had not been been sterilized first.
  • HrVanker, MicroMycoMan, BirdsArentReal and 1 other like this

#7 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 01:56 PM

another option to jar rings (no rust) may be combined with cans for legs.

Cans may have both ends removed. The result is empty clean rings.

If short legs are desired, tuna fish type cans may work.

rack 1.png

rack 2 .png

Either a plate or a rack should go on top of the bags, as well,

so that they cannot interfere

with the workings of the PC, ie. the weight, the safety features, or the gauge.

This has been explained in detail by Jesse of 'Humble Fungus' on Youtube.

Edited by shiftingshadows, 15 April 2022 - 02:07 PM.

#8 torn2bits

torn2bits

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 05:41 PM

Usually, when you add the substrate to the bag you pasteurize it. That should be plenty. So sterilization will happen in process of your grow.
  • beadyeyes likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!