Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What do people think of these large holes in a mono tub?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2022 - 10:24 PM

I have seen these tubs being sold on the internet.  

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.07.37 PM.png

I'm wondering why they add such large holes in the sides when compared to the conventional practice of drilling several 1/2 inch holes at the substrate level in most of the mono tub teks that we know about.  Any thoughts?

I wonder if it's because the normal plastic tote from the big box store that everyone uses, is open at the top, even though it has a lid covering the opening, in essence it is one giant hole.  

And the tub being sold on the internet and pictured above, does not have a giant opening, and must compensate by including several large holes.  

I'm asking because I have a fungus gnat problem and must use the weather proof mono tubs that have a lid with a rubber gasket that can be sealed.  If the lid is sealed, the 1/2 inch holes are not enough for adequate FAE.  What if I sealed my tubs and added large holes like the tubs pictured below?  I hope this makes sense.

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2022 - 08:46 AM

How much are those?

It looks like a modified shotgun terrarium since it also looks like it has smaller holes in the bottom part in addition to the big holes in the lid. We haven't recommended shotgun fruiting chambers in a long time, since all those holes turned out to be unnecessary (so long as some form of ventilation or fanning is used).

I think I'd still stick with my trusty ol' (and probably much cheaper) wet towel tek. It works indoors too but you have to be careful when using more than a few trays as they will humidify a room quite a bit which can encourage mold.

If you get one of those fancy trays you could put a screen over those big holes to keep bugs out. Nylon mesh paint filter bags might work (easy to re-sterilize, very fine mesh keeps out everything). You could just cut pieces to fit and tape them on the lid over the holes with blue painter's tape (easier to remove; I use it a lot).

Still, that tray setup will be slightly higher maintenance than the wet-towel tek since the wet towel adds humidity so long as it's wet. You may have to mist the tray a few times a day to keep it optimal while the towel might need to be re-wetted once a day or even once every two days. That starts to add up in terms of time and effort when you have more than a few trays.

Edited by TVCasualty, 14 April 2022 - 08:52 AM.

• Mycomaniac2007 and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2022 - 10:27 AM

They are being sold for 60$ a piece.  I'm not going to buy one.  I was just wondering why they chose to use such big holes.  

In my experience, a normal tub without the gasket works just fine with several 1/2" holes at substrate level.  But if it has a gasket I need to flip over the lid so there is not a perfect seal for there to be adequate FAE.  

I want to try and keep the sealed lid to keep out fungus gnats and thought that maybe if I had bigger holes, this arrangement would work.

Because the 60$ bins are essentially sealed at the top.

I really like your wet towel tek!  it makes so much sense.  If I had a garage, I would probably do it like this. 

#4 BirdsArentReal

BirdsArentReal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 April 2022 - 11:29 AM

Im not personally recommending this tub or this method necessarily but alot of the tubs I use just have four big holes in them like this. One on both of the longer sides near surface level and one on both of the shorter sides near the top. Stuff with poly and voila, dont need to touch them unless its to harvest. Obviously kinda depends on the surrounding environment to some extent as well. That being said, alot of the time I just use an unmodified tub and open/fan a couple times a day.

• Mycomaniac2007, orangutan, MicroMycoMan and 2 others like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 882 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2022 - 11:53 AM

I've seen this design and I've seen them for 40 bucks (no longer on that site tho'), someone is making 20 on top of the sticker price.  I believe they Micropore tape up all the holes which you would probably want to do since they are so big (kill some of the airflow).  A Traditional Mono dialed in with Poly or Micropore tape has been done MANY times over and is very Simple to setup.  You could get a 56qt tub which is roughly what that is and make your own and test with Micropore tape.  I thought about making something similar, but I like easy shoeboxes these days with a flipped lid, or small holes staggered at surface level.  I'm betting those surface holes are a 3/8's drill bit and the top ones 1 and 7/8's maybe (2" Micropore Tape to Cover), looks bigger than my 1.5 inch attachment.  

MushL  

Edited by MushLuvR, 14 April 2022 - 11:56 AM.

• orangutan, ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2022 - 04:50 PM

I do either tray's or bags and I want an underground fruiting chamber...actually I want like six of them.... :biggrin: ...but I'll take one...

This year it will be a larger greenhouse with my 5 disc fogger in a food grade drum of distilled water making mists......

I use towel tek all the time on small tub experiments, very effective, even a couple paper towels draped into a tub with lid works very similar, depend on FAE needs.....keep the towels damp and your golden...

Hip's wicking comment is a good one too....very effective passive techniques well worth trying. I still do log hydration and watering with long towels wicking a drum....

That's a classic link.... 

A

• TVCasualty, orangutan, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#7 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2022 - 11:28 AM

@arathu, do you have a link to Hip's wicking comment?

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2022 - 04:09 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...ek/#entry299423

It's in the same thread that TV posted above.....

A

• MushLuvR likes this

#9 MicroMycoMan

MicroMycoMan

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 140 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2022 - 06:57 PM

That being said, alot of the time I just use an unmodified tub and open/fan a couple times a day.

I like unmodified tubs these days. Once you modify them, they're single purpose and conspicuous af. My SAB is the only thing I'm cutting holes in this time around. 

-MMM

• Cuboid and BirdsArentReal like this

#10 BirdsArentReal

BirdsArentReal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 08:00 PM

That being said, alot of the time I just use an unmodified tub and open/fan a couple times a day.

I like unmodified tubs these days. Once you modify them, they're single purpose and conspicuous af. My SAB is the only thing I'm cutting holes in this time around. 

-MMM

Yeah the only good reason to put holes in anything is because you wont be around enough to open them or you just want to stack a bunch of them on eachother and dont want the hassle of unstacking a couple times a day

• orangutan likes this

#11 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2022 - 10:17 AM

I understand entrepreneurship, but that is ridiculous. First off, you don't need holes at all.....at least for cubes. Secondly, if one wanted to, could modify a tote for 1/3 of that price.

I made some bad ass No Tilt Jar lids.....very clean and professional looking compared to the ones i made in the past. They can be used with peristaltic pumps also.....perhaps i should sell them on Amazon and Ebay for 600% mark up.........
  • TVCasualty, orangutan, BirdsArentReal and 1 other like this

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 03:30 PM

I understand entrepreneurship, but that is ridiculous. First off, you don't need holes at all.....at least for cubes. Secondly, if one wanted to, could modify a tote for 1/3 of that price.

I made some bad ass No Tilt Jar lids.....very clean and professional looking compared to the ones i made in the past. They can be used with peristaltic pumps also.....perhaps i should sell them on Amazon and Ebay for 600% mark up.........

That is exactly how a lot of products on the market came to be, unfortunately.

Unfortunate because it's a type of fuckery that profits off our not knowing something is available for a fraction of the price in a different package or section of the store.

Go to a pet store and they'll probably have small bottles (~8 oz) hydrated water crystals (aka hydrogel) for sale for reptiles that is the exact same stuff sold for mixing into soil for gardening but it's at least 10X the price for the same amount of dry gel bought from a horticulture supply store. All they did was hydrate it for you.

Another one is diatomaceous earth; as an "organic" form of pest control sold in small bags at garden centers it's kind of pricey, but you can buy it in bulk in plain brown cardboard boxes for a fraction of the price in the pool supply section of a big box hardware store (or swimming pool/pond supply place). Same goes for little bags of vermiculite at Home Depot vs. giant 4 cu. ft. bags at a feed & seed store.

So fuck it; go ahead and make cool looking stickers that say "Mushroom Fruiting Chamber," stick them on unmodified bins you bought at the store and did nothing else to, and sell them for 3-5X the price you paid (or more). The sad part is that that would probably actually make you some money; maybe call it a "doesn't bother to look into things closer" tax.

• Mycomaniac2007, Microbe, orangutan and 2 others like this

#13 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:52 PM

I've seen this design and I've seen them for 40 bucks (no longer on that site tho'), someone is making 20 on top of the sticker price.  I believe they Micropore tape up all the holes which you would probably want to do since they are so big (kill some of the airflow).  A Traditional Mono dialed in with Poly or Micropore tape has been done MANY times over and is very Simple to setup.  You could get a 56qt tub which is roughly what that is and make your own and test with Micropore tape.  I thought about making something similar, but I like easy shoeboxes these days with a flipped lid, or small holes staggered at surface level.  I'm betting those surface holes are a 3/8's drill bit and the top ones 1 and 7/8's maybe (2" Micropore Tape to Cover), looks bigger than my 1.5 inch attachment.  

MushL

That is exactly how a lot of products on the market came to be, unfortunately.

Unfortunate because it's a type of fuckery that profits off our not knowing something is available for a fraction of the price in a different package or section of the store.

Go to a pet store and they'll probably have small bottles (~8 oz) hydrated water crystals (aka hydrogel) for sale for reptiles that is the exact same stuff sold for mixing into soil for gardening but it's at least 10X the price for the same amount of dry gel bought from a horticulture supply store. All they did was hydrate it for you.

Another one is diatomaceous earth; as an "organic" form of pest control sold in small bags at garden centers it's kind of pricey, but you can buy it in bulk in plain brown cardboard boxes for a fraction of the price in the pool supply section of a big box hardware store (or swimming pool/pond supply place). Same goes for little bags of vermiculite at Home Depot vs. giant 4 cu. ft. bags at a feed & seed store.

So fuck it; go ahead and make cool looking stickers that say "Mushroom Fruiting Chamber," stick them on unmodified bins you bought at the store and did nothing else to, and sell them for 3-5X the price you paid (or more). The sad part is that that would probably actually make you some money; maybe call it a "doesn't bother to look into things closer" tax.
hahaha love this because it's exactly what it is...the not looking into things TAX... and most of the world is thriving on this. But the internet made things easier for normal people to sell , buy in alot of ways vs before it was much more complicated. Flip side is , it's MUCH easier to RESEARCH too. So...
  • TVCasualty and MushLuvR like this

#14 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:53 PM

And why is my comment showing so small.....

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:42 AM

And why is my comment showing so small.....

FWIW, it's the same size (to me) as all the other comments in this thread.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!