• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 06:03 AM

Today I went by the local animal shop and came across this beauty IMG_20220418_115005.jpg I called it bugiguinga, he is partially fetherless, I think he plucked his own feathers, he was alone in a cage but full of energy. I tryed to buy it, they said it was not for sale he was sick. After insisting, the lady called the owner of the shop which offered him(or she) for free.I dont know its gender. I manage to pet him with a peacock feather and he or she loves it. I opened the door of the cage and he just jumped out, he is free to roam the house, but so far he is just very still and quiet. He cant fly yet, but I hope his problem was stress and now he will regain his feathers 

Edited by beadyeyes, 18 April 2022 - 06:09 AM.

• Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2022 - 07:21 AM

Best of luck to you and your new little friend! Hopefully it’s health improves.
  • beadyeyes likes this

#3 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 03:35 AM

I took him to a vet, now I know its a juvenile male. The vet said its probably stress and his feathers will grow back eventually. Now he is starting to vocalize and likes to be pet with a feather. He is still in the cage altough the door is openIMG_20220419_092737.jpg

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,432 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2022 - 09:40 PM

Man that made my day. So good to know there is still good people in the world. Love changes everything, and I have a strong feeling that little guy will respond and be a damn awesome bird very soon. It takes a while, so be patient. Applause and respect for taking that on. Buy the regular regimen of vitamin supplements for him as well. He might have a deficiency, but I suspect it is just what you think. They are very social birds. They can also talk damn near as good as parrots, so be ready for that! It's not too common, but they can do it for sure. 

• Myc, coorsmikey, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:37 AM

We had a little blue budgerigar name Petey.

He was a friend to everyone and a joy to be around. Lots of whistle patterns to express mood and desire and..........he could talk.

That bird was such an awesome friend. He loved my little sister and would fly to wherever she was so he could join her in play.

I didn't realize how much I missed him until I saw this thread.

He will certainly recover. Those feathers will be back in short order and he'll be flying around the house like he owns the place. ;)

Take good care of each other!

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#6 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 10:38 AM

bugiguinga has been making progress. He explored a bit, he is starting to vocalize, he eats a lot, and I have been putting vitamins in his water to help feathers grow back. He still moves around very little, but very frequently requests my attention, I suspect he was weened too soon, and couldnt coap with social interaction with other budgies in a small cage. I now took the top of his cage out and he comes in and out as he pleasesIMG_20220421_1518001.jpg he now knows other spots he likes, he is fascinated by the balcony window and stares for hours to the mysterious outer world, particularly enjoying blackbirds when they come for breadcrums in the balcony

Edited by beadyeyes, 22 April 2022 - 10:40 AM.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog and ElPirana like this

#7 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 09:15 AM

IMG_20220510_1511371.jpg I got bugiguiga a friend, and they like each other

• Myc, Coopdog, Cuboid and 1 other like this

#8 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:25 AM

IMG_20220515_1419141.jpg although they have their disagreements they are getting closer

• Coopdog and ElPirana like this

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,432 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:57 AM

Myc, they do indeed talk, some as well as parrots. Beadyeyes, I have a mushroom troll like that. A little different model, but probably from the same place. 

My Mother loved birds, and had several different Cockatoo's. Each one has their own personality. Two of her bigger birds were complete assholes, but one had a heart of gold and loved everyone. When I got married I wanted to get a pair of Budgies (Parakeets) that I intended to keep and tame and make friends of like that. The two were inseparable. One was a blue male and one was a yellow female. They sat around and sang and made over each other all day. One day some how some way, something got in the cage and killed the female, and it was pretty ugly. We don't know if somehow a cat got in, a rat, something did it. Sam the male was devastated and never sang anymore, so we decided to get him another little yellow girlfriend so he could get his song back. 

The new one we got was identical to the other in everything but personality. She bitched with an ugly tone ALL DAY LONG, and when evening time came, we would cover the cage just to shut her up. That female would not let Sam perch anywhere in the cage. For two years or so he lived on the side of his cage, with a never ending barrage of nippy attacks from that female. Finally we got her a different cage and put them side by side, and then they sang to each other from afar rather than her just making his life miserable. 

I felt terrible keeping them separated and tried to reintegrate them several times and it always went right back to her dominance struggle. Sam was much happier just singing to her through the bars though, and at least he got his song back. Glad I stopped back in to this thread and wrote all this out. Birds are awesome, most of them anyhow. 

• Myc, ElPirana and beadyeyes like this

#10 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:20 AM

Each one has their own personality.

yes they are like people, I am fascinated by their behavior. Bugiguinga is needy and gets annoyed when Bela ignores him, and when he is eating he gets angry if Bela is in its way. He seems to always want what Bela is eating.  Bela gets annoyed because Bugiguinga cant fly and she wants him to follow her around. But after they disagree they make up and are really tender with one another. IMG_20220515_1454351.jpg they may have smaller brains but birds have also smaller neurons and so they pack much more than mammals in a smaller space. The smartest birds are similar to primates regarding the amount of neurons they pack.  

Edited by beadyeyes, 16 May 2022 - 06:01 AM.

• ElPirana likes this

#11 beadyeyes

beadyeyes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:28 AM

They got a treat today, a new cageIMG_20220519_1121001.jpg , I have placed this metal grid which is where bugiguinga likes to sleepIMG_20220519_1121071.jpg and they have a pool which they still havent used, I put lettuce inside to attract themIMG_20220519_1121131.jpg

• ElPirana likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!