#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,195 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2022 - 07:48 PM

sometimes you can't find your way back... and you never will, just like trying to go "home"... you only ever experienced it, when you didn't notice because you were it, you _were_ home. The gates? the front door? yeah, they were always with you, because they are you.
  • TVCasualty, phlegmbae, Coopdog and 4 others like this

#2 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:46 PM

Annnnnd the other problem with storming the gates is that some doors, once open, can never be closed. 

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,061 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:23 AM

The further/deeper I've explored the more important the advice of the three wise monkeys has become (which are often depicted by chimpanzees in memes but whatever):

smellsomeevil.jpg

I've gotten the distinct impression that "Hell" is just a sudden awakening of universal empathy after a lifetime of being an asshole. The less assholiness we embody in life, the easier our own personal self-Judgment Day will be if some part of our awareness persists beyond its physical existence.

I thought about posting a thread called "Running Screaming From the Gates" a long time ago but can't remember if I actually ever did (post the thread, I mean. I've definitely run screaming from the gates a few times).

In any case the point was or was going to be that fleeing doesn't work; once you merely get too close to "the gates" (you know 'em when you see 'em),  the only way to avoid seeing too much would've been to not go looking in the first place. But if we don't go looking, we won't find the good parts, either. So it's another one of life's tricky balancing acts.

Safety, security, and comfort aren't necessarily our friends, and can easily become pathological obsessions. If that's what life was about then we'd have been better served staying in the womb, but here we are; it's way too late to go back now!  

Lucky for us "it's just a ride."

• Guy1298 likes this

#4 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2022 - 06:27 PM

I wonder how close I've been to the gates and how much that's changed me. 

*More* Comfortable with the idea of dying. *More* Comfortable with the idea of being and knowing that I am not what I appear to be. 

Edited by Guy1298, 20 May 2022 - 06:37 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,061 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:09 AM

I'm at the point where I'm totally fine with being 'dead,' but the actual dying part of getting there is still really freaky and concerning.

But that's probably just my mind being uncomfortable with change, like how our birth was a profoundly traumatic moment of change that we as fetuses would probably have said "no thanks!" to if given the opportunity.

• Guy1298 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!