Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Petri Dishes - tripple vented vs stock (which believed still allows air exchange)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:12 PM

:blush: I am back again in Topia.  Sadly my first grow attempted failed that was back in 2018 (thread is here somewhere).

I had the option of petri dishes to get , this time at the supplier i used before. Tripple vented ones, the upside would be more air exchange , however that could be an issue with contamination or drying out of the agar?

What is the best?  Anyone did a test of both?

I will be growing cubensis this time, so soon a thread will made to follow my grow. I am sourcing supplies. 

Pressure cookers are they  a must? good sales on some atm, still a few $$, but some are like 499 down to 180$

A crockpot would not suit? have a really old but reliable Monier.  

Spore prints i did are wild ones, not the best example , but  this summer wettest for awhile has been rather a disappointment with few shrooms and lack of cubes, but i managed to get some on a journey with my brother. not the best examples but i got spore prints  :biggrin: , expect some isolating on agar 

#2 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:58 AM

As far as I know plates are either vented or not.

The vented plates have 3 very small ribs on the underside of the lid that lifts the lid up ever so slightly so there is a small gap all around.

I do believe everyone is using standard vented plates and this supplier just calls it triple vented.

• ShroomyTravellerFromAfar and MushLuvR like this

#3 ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:45 PM

As far as I know plates are either vented or not.

The vented plates have 3 very small ribs on the underside of the lid that lifts the lid up ever so slightly so there is a small gap all around.

I do believe everyone is using standard vented plates and this supplier just calls it triple vented.

Thank you Sandman i got them :)  60 of them so i dont have to pay postage again. I got other supplies on the way so soon a Cube grow thread

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,420 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:31 PM

WELCOME !

I Pasted THIS FROM Another newbie post heh

While i am no INTERNET Expert .....   

i recommend you try  one of the PF  BRF Cake teks . this type tek is designed for beginners .

it's almost fool proof if you follow it to a " T " no deviations no experiments ,

Below are two links  For YOU one to a thread called MAGIC FOR THE MASSES . lots good reading lots..ha 

The second link is a Very Good .... ! FREE....!  PDF BOOK... called of course  MAGIC FOR THE MASSES . 

You could read on line or down load the PDF .

Follow this  tek Step by Step to a "  T " you should succeed ...later after a few successful  PF BRF Cake grows You can expand out and try more advanced grows ..

I recommend a PC/pressure canner .......Over the steam method  for sterilization ..

and the Heat bomb is only needed if your grow space is chilly or temps fluctuate , 

if your grow space has a steady temp 65f to 80 your gold .

fahtster

I Have  had temps 65F - 75F throughout the whole process work fine. Anything above 75F also invites contam blooms ime. The lower temps might slow things down slightly but it’s not worth the risk to go above 75Fhlster

GOOD LUCK

BEZ

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

https://mycotopia.ne...tach_id=1149753

Edited by bezevo, 08 May 2022 - 03:01 PM.

• MicroMycoMan, ShroomyTravellerFromAfar and MushLuvR like this

#5 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:28 AM

So it turns out I was wrong there is a such thing as single vented dishes with just one vent rib.

It's just that single vented dishes are apparently pretty uncommon and I'd never seen them advertised that way in commonly available stuff online.

If you were ordering dishes from a real lab catalog that had all the choices available then single vented dishes may be slightly preferable for longer term storage. But I don't think it makes a big difference for normal use.

Just a casual attempt at locating single vented discs was basically impossible unless you order from a specialty science catalog supplier. All the ones I'm seeing that say vented are actually looking like triple vented except a few 50 and 60mm options that have single vents. Even seeing some 4 and 6 vent options out there!

Edited by sandman, 09 May 2022 - 08:46 AM.

• ShroomyTravellerFromAfar and MushLuvR like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 2,675 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2022 - 12:12 PM

Myself I've done only no pour in mostly ghetto containers. I do have 20 petris that were gifted, that I also d I no pour with. I assume they are not vented. W hats the purpose of the venting?
  • ShroomyTravellerFromAfar likes this

#7 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:24 PM

Gas exchange, without venting it's anaerobic conditions. The parafilm or clingwrap should allow minor gas exchange.

• ShroomyTravellerFromAfar likes this

#8 ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 10:26 PM

WELCOME !

I Pasted THIS FROM Another newbie post heh

While i am no INTERNET Expert .....   

i recommend you try  one of the PF  BRF Cake teks . this type tek is designed for beginners .

it's almost fool proof if you follow it to a " T " no deviations no experiments ,

Below are two links  For YOU one to a thread called MAGIC FOR THE MASSES . lots good reading lots..ha 

The second link is a Very Good .... ! FREE....!  PDF BOOK... called of course  MAGIC FOR THE MASSES . 

You could read on line or down load the PDF .

Follow this  tek Step by Step to a "  T " you should succeed ...later after a few successful  PF BRF Cake grows You can expand out and try more advanced grows ..

I recommend a PC/pressure canner .......Over the steam method  for sterilization ..

and the Heat bomb is only needed if your grow space is chilly or temps fluctuate , 

if your grow space has a steady temp 65f to 80 your gold .

fahtster

I Have  had temps 65F - 75F throughout the whole process work fine. Anything above 75F also invites contam blooms ime. The lower temps might slow things down slightly but it’s not worth the risk to go above 75Fhlster

GOOD LUCK

BEZ

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

https://mycotopia.ne...tach_id=1149753

Thank you for the links i am going BF cakes also as i read they are the easiest. A bit nervous, may split the grow with 2 FC  I have already downloaded Magic of Masses. I guess with any new hobby there is some nerves about it not turning out.

So it turns out I was wrong there is a such thing as single vented dishes with just one vent rib.

It's just that single vented dishes are apparently pretty uncommon and I'd never seen them advertised that way in commonly available stuff online.

If you were ordering dishes from a real lab catalog that had all the choices available then single vented dishes may be slightly preferable for longer term storage. But I don't think it makes a big difference for normal use.

Just a casual attempt at locating single vented discs was basically impossible unless you order from a specialty science catalog supplier. All the ones I'm seeing that say vented are actually looking like triple vented except a few 50 and 60mm options that have single vents. Even seeing some 4 and 6 vent options out there!

I assume the vents are for gas exhance, even 6 thats a lot, i have parafilm on the way, dishes have arrived and look nice and clean. I may have to steam for this grow, depends, i have some very tight fitting pots made for steaming with a release in the handle. I do place to PC in the future

Myself I've done only no pour in mostly ghetto containers. I do have 20 petris that were gifted, that I also d I no pour with. I assume they are not vented. W hats the purpose of the venting?

Hello again JKdeth, assume gas exhange or more oxygen i guess

Gas exchange, without venting it's anaerobic conditions. The parafilm or clingwrap should allow minor gas exchange.

I will store my agar in a plastic container, and the agar in its down ziplock each plate

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!